Guess what blew me away today... maybe in the top 5 most underrated synths? ABL PRO = WOWEE!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Numanoid wrote:When it comes to the SH-101, I think TAL101 surpasses ABL PRO in sound, while undercutting it in price ;)
When it comes to Minimoog, Arturia MiniV surpasses both TAL101 and ABL Pro in sound.
But when it comes to Prophet 5... You get the idea :)
Wonder whether my advice worth a penny? Check my music at Soundcloud and decide for yourself.
re:vibe and Loki Fuego @ Soundcloud

Tronam wrote:ABL Pro is not an SH-101 emulation. It's a 303 on steroids. :hihi:
Audiorealism webpage: "ABL Pro is a Polyphonic semi-modular virtual analog synthesizer with built-in pattern sequencer and a filter based on the classic 202"

Vintage Synth Explorer about 202: "You can control it externally by hooking up a MID-CV/Gate converter. Then you basically have yourself an SH-101!"

So how is it not an SH-101 emulation in the mix? ;)

Some of you may be interested in my new preset pack for ABL Pro http://bobswans.byethost15.com/Patches.html
Synth Presets and Music
https://linktr.ee/BoBSwanS

TheoM wrote: Just so i am clear, Tal Bassline and D16 Lush are emulating the same synth right? as in the 101? I wonder why Tal sounds so much phatter in the bottom end.
Because D16 semed to focus more on adding tons of extra features while TAl focused on doing an accurate emulation. BTW with the latest version TAL also added filter FM to Bassline-101. You could use any of the Osc waveforms for Filter FM, including the Sub-OSc and Noise (this is independent from the volume settings of the sliders in the Osc section).

The Chorus from TAL U-NO-LX is available as a free FX and works nicely with BassLine-101 (has additional controls compared to the one in U-NO-LX):
http://kunz.corrupt.ch/products/tal-chorus-lx

LuSH-101 also does not include a proper step-sequencer like BassLIne-101 (and the real SH-101) but just a "normal" Arp.
The sequencer in BassLine-101 has up to 96 steps and you could record notes directly from your keyboard controller (again like in the real thing). You could also copy/paste the pattern into a MIDI track in your host.

BTW the lack of low-end was the first thing i had noticed when the first two demo versions of LuSH-101 were released...

Speaking about 303 emulations i am using D16 Phoscyon but also the free Venom VB-303.
Based on VB-303 I have also created single cycle waveforms with the coresponding filter responses for use in Tone2 Rayblaster.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

As a 202 user, I thought ABL Pro is very good. I didn't in the end buy it, but I think I'd be happy using it as a replacement if the 202 died. It's not an absolute emulation, but it's close enough, and I really liked all the extra bells and whistles it has. Love the metallic edge you can get from it, and above all, it's great fun to use (whereas many step sequencer type plugins don't do it for me). I'll probably buy it one day. I never understood why some thought it a 303 - it can sound a bit like one for a very tight range of some 303 sounds, but it was obvious from the first that it was a 101/202 thing.

It's one of the main plugins that I never bought, but can't understand why I didn't. I liked it on release demo, I like it today. I would use it for my music. I guess I didn't because I just still prefer playing with h/w for certain sounds and styles. And although ABL Pro makes a wider range than a 202, I probably thought I could mangle a 202 a little via FX rather than diddling about with a mouse. Although ABL Pro is one of the few synths I wouldn't mind using a mouse for, because the sound's worth it. A cracking little synth.

If I only had 3 s/w synths, I think I'd be happy with ABL Pro, impOSCar and Wavestation. (Still haven't bought 2 of them as I still have a 202 and a WS). Obviously I could name shitloads more I could use, but I'd be happy if I had to have only those those 3.

Oh, yeah, you're right about the UNO thing. I don't understand why anybody raves about Junos. Got a 106 and an Alpha - the Alpha's quite good, but the 106 is pretty bog standard and very limited). I mostly only still have it in the studio cos it looks good, and is a great place to put my coffe/wine/meths.

bob swans wrote:Some of you may be interested in my new preset pack for ABL Pro http://bobswans.byethost15.com/Patches.html

Have listened to all the demos, the sounds on offer are rather incredible. You are very talented sir. :hail:

On some however in real world use i would want to dial down the analog drift.. is that easy to do in ABL? I haven't bought it yet but it's happening this month and i haven't looked much into the programming side of it. Will buy your set in conjunction with it if i know i can take out a bit of the drift in some of the presets..

But they sound so warm.. my body actually was getting goose pimples listening particularly to your second demo.
You've obviously got a real grasp on the synth.

Some of those keys were just breathtaking (couldn't think of a better word).

TheoM wrote:
bob swans wrote:Some of you may be interested in my new preset pack for ABL Pro http://bobswans.byethost15.com/Patches.html

Have listened to all the demos, the sounds on offer are rather incredible. You are very talented sir. :hail:

On some however in real world use i would want to dial down the analog drift.. is that easy to do in ABL? I haven't bought it yet but it's happening this month and i haven't looked much into the programming side of it. Will buy your set in conjunction with it if i know i can take out a bit of the drift in some of the presets..

But they sound so warm.. my body actually was getting goose pimples listening particularly to your second demo.
You've obviously got a real grasp on the synth.

Some of those keys were just breathtaking (couldn't think of a better word).

Thanks man, I am glad you like them so much! Your words are the perfect advert :)
I actually just made my 1st sale on them, it feels good.

The drift will be easy to tone down or even remove if you need. Its pretty easy to grasp the programming side of things after half an hour or so.

If sales go well and i continue to get feedback like yours (can't stop smiling) i will be putting out plenty more. Madrona Labs Aalto is high on my list
Synth Presets and Music

Nice to see some <3 for ABL Pro..! It's our oldest product now (it was developed together with ABL1 nearly 10 years ago), and ancient by VST/AU standards.. Bob Swan's patches are indeed very good and demonstrate the depth that can be reached with ABL Pro.
kritikon wrote:I never understood why some thought it a 303 - it can sound a bit like one for a very tight range of some 303 sounds, but it was obvious from the first that it was a 101/202 thing.
Well, we did a pretty poor job of marketing it. It wasn't clear from the start what it was going to be but the goal was to make a fun, sequenced type of synth in the same spirit of the 303 and/or 202. This synth is kind of between chairs which makes it tricky to market properly. But it has been on the market for nearly 10 years and with that track record it is still pretty popular amongst our users and we have tried to keep it up and running and compatible as much as possible. We have no plans on retiring it any time soon, in fact we will probably try to push it a bit more as it does stand up to more modern plug-ins (in our opinion!).

Mike / audiorealism
AudioRealism
www.audiorealism.se

ABL Pro is still one of my secret weapons when it comes to mutant acid lines. When I want something like a 303 but with a broader palette - this is it!

Want an acid line where the timbral shifts come from a synced triangle wave sweeping up and down? No problem! Then throw the filter on it and you're taken back in time to when Roland didn't fail at everything they do, infact the exact opposite :love:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

ABL Pro has been one of my favorites since it came out. Great sounding and I love the 303-ish step sequencer.

Doesn't it have both filter modes (303 and 202 styles)?
Mike Janney wrote:Nice to see some <3 for ABL Pro..! It's our oldest product now (it was developed together with ABL1 nearly 10 years ago), and ancient by VST/AU standards.. Bob Swan's patches are indeed very good and demonstrate the depth that can be reached with ABL Pro.
kritikon wrote:I never understood why some thought it a 303 - it can sound a bit like one for a very tight range of some 303 sounds, but it was obvious from the first that it was a 101/202 thing.
Well, we did a pretty poor job of marketing it. It wasn't clear from the start what it was going to be but the goal was to make a fun, sequenced type of synth in the same spirit of the 303 and/or 202. This synth is kind of between chairs which makes it tricky to market properly. But it has been on the market for nearly 10 years and with that track record it is still pretty popular amongst our users and we have tried to keep it up and running and compatible as much as possible. We have no plans on retiring it any time soon, in fact we will probably try to push it a bit more as it does stand up to more modern plug-ins (in our opinion!).

Mike / audiorealism
You guys ever going to get around to adding swing to the sequencer like you did for ABL?

Mike Janney wrote: Bob Swan's patches are indeed very good and demonstrate the depth that can be reached with ABL Pro.
Thanks for the kind words Mike :hyper:
Synth Presets and Music

It looks like Roland is bringing out a new hardware version of the 303.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Yeah I saw that. NAMM will be interesting this year.

Return to “Instruments”