What VSTi to use to create cello/violin supersaws?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

just kind of tried it. lots of phasing... kind of cool, but not super saw esque...

Tried it meaning which it, Gladiator?

Omnisphere looks powerful. And huge. And expensive. But another way to skin this cat...

I tried it in omnisphere. I'll make you an mp3 if you would like with any settings you want. I'll take a look at gladiator, but I just got it on the buy 1 get 1 sale from best service, so I don't really don't know what I'm doing in it (but it seems cool)...

If you can just make an mp3 of what you did in Omnisphere and a description of how it was made, I'd be very happy.

Ideally I'd start with three long samples of the same violin playing the same note, but from different round robins or velocity layers. Chop off the first quarter second of each sample. Stick each one in an oscillator slot (or equivalent), then pretend they're saws and see what happens when I start panning and detuning. That's pretty much what I've been doing with the bass samples.

I also want to try doing a Kairatuneish multisaw, which apparently requires separating the fundamentals from the partials, then detuning the partials only. And possibly pitch-correcting all the fundamentals, too. A lot of work but getting bowed strings to make sounds people will think are synths is a long-running obsession of mine.

I'll work on it tonight and report back...

Awesome, looking forward to the result. The most interesting thing will be how different your attempt will sound from what I've done so far.

I'm sure someone else could do better.

1. violin sample (no attack or release)
2. violin sample in unison
3. 4 instances with unison set for a different octave (-1, 0, 1, 2 - same note played)
4. same as 3 but with reverb.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dgoich1mzg69yr/kvrtest.mp3

Thanks! 3 and 4 definitely get the sort of vibe I'm going for once the natural attack is chopped off. I mean people who aren't into synths would just think "that's a nice synthesizer" and not even notice that it has anything to do with violins or string sections.

I should post a similar short mp3 of some of my Harmor attempts. Doing that I've also found that having different octaves in there help.

Return to “Instruments”