@ this who can spot scales in tunes quickly

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just interested really as to how long it took you to be able to listen to something and be able to go ah that's 'G Minor diatonic scale…' etc

For instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6da5__GEito scale?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb5VOQexMBU scale?

and how do you go about determining this in your head? I swear sometime's i'm hearing notes which are out of the common scales and then look for another scale which could contain all the notes

Is scale important for dance music? Or could it be producers come up with chord progressions and derive the melodies, bassline etc out of these notes, even if they do not fall within a scale...

??

9 seconds for the calvin harris
my ears refused to hear the aviici track. they said theyd leave me for good if i pressed play.

the reason I can tell the first one is 'natural minor' is the emphasis on flat six to five, besides the minor third (G given as tonic, Eb to D).

if you're going to copy this in your efforts, yes it obviously would help you to understand its mechanics like that.
what do these people do or know, I wouldn't know about. a lot of it is really naive. one can come up with a line like that by ear, by copying someone.
if you are not facile with your ear, improvement can go hand-in-hand with knowing stuff. and I mean getting proactive on your own.

I think natural minor is popular in these styles and even a sort of default position, so I wouldn't wonder about a lot of thought here. if things do exceed a single scale, they could have just been making guesses out of anything rather than out of any coherent 'music theory' study.

in the time I heard the first track, there was no 'chord progression' to speak of.

First one I "found" it fast (playing along on my melodica) but it took me 30 seconds to be really sure of the tonality because of the strange progression not starting on the tonic...

Second one starts with I bVII bVI so it's pretty obvious, so I just had to find the root note on the melodica (took 10s overall).

Return to “Music Theory”