vsti Sampler with unlimited tracks?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if someone could suggest a vsti sampler with unlimited tracks. Is there such a thing - or is all such software limited to 16 tracks (corresponding to the 16 midi channels)?
I've been keeping an eye on Steinberg's HALion 5, but I cannot seem to find this particular information on the site. Same with Kontakt. Can someone help?
Thank you all in advance.
Best

What do you mean by "track"? Do you mean an event input? If you're sourcing events from MIDI and then want to split by channel, clearly you are limited to 16 channels. Technically, I don't think the VST standard prevents more than 16 event inputs but practically there is little use. Of course, if you're running a VST in "native" (i.e. 64bit DLL, 64bit host), you should only be loading a single copy of the software no matter how many instances you insert (I'm not certain that happens). Further, multiple instances can share the sample pool (SFZ 1.x did this, for example). Again, individual VSTs may or may not. So you can have one instance per track -- and 16 channels per track.

Ogion wrote:Hello everyone,
I was wondering if someone could suggest a vsti sampler with unlimited tracks. Is there such a thing - or is all such software limited to 16 tracks (corresponding to the 16 midi channels)?
I've been keeping an eye on Steinberg's HALion 5, but I cannot seem to find this particular information on the site. Same with Kontakt. Can someone help?
Thank you all in advance.
Best
The big ones are all unlimited tracks/instruments. Channels and tracks are two different things.

You can have 100 tracks playing 100 unique instaances of Kontakt, or 1 instance of kontakt with 100 instruments.

The difference is, with unique instance, each instance can listen to 16 channels of one midi device (MAX of 4 i believe - 4 x 16 = 64 midi channels max with one kontakt instance). Bottomline is: Each kontakt instance can have 64 unique instruments. This is not kontakt's limitation. It is a midi spec that each midi 'bus' has only 16 channels.

You can have 100 tracks with 100 Kontakts with 64 instruments respectively = 6,400 instruments simultaneously! :o

Doesn't matter if it sounds good - it is the number that counts! :P

But Kontakt is not a sampler. So if you're doing your own...

Thanks, everyone.
Yes, I seem to be confused (and have confused you) about all this.
Essentially, I am looking for a sampler that will allow me to have only it open (one instance), but use unlimited instruments (many more than 16) from within it in a busy mix . Cubase allows me unlimited tracks so I want each track in Cubase to trigger (many) more than 16 intruments at the same time in the same vst. In other words, I want to do everything (all my busy mixes) from one instrument.
The technical side seems to come up against midi limitations - which, I guess, is only to be expected...
From the replies I take it that my best bet would be the 4x16 Kontakt configuration. Would you have any idea if the same can be achieved with HALion 5?
In any case, thank you all for this.
Very kind of all of you to reply.
Greetings

Return to “Instruments”