StudioDevil NAMM 2014 announcement

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Got this in my email:
Winter NAMM 2014 is here! And Studio Devil is going to blow you away!

If you were wondering what Studio Devil has been up to for the past year, well...let's just say you won't need a laptop to get the best amp modeling on the planet anymore...something completely amazing is coming your way real soon.

We will be releasing more information as the show unfolds, and you will be able to see, hear, and watch demos of this amazing release in the days to come...so stay tuned to our website and Facebook page, and look out for YouTube videos from NAMM.
I sincerely hope the "you won't need a laptop to get the best amp modeling on the planet anymore" doesn't mean another iPad amp simulator... plus, there's nothing "completely amazing" about another iPad app :-)

branching out to hardware maybe?
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:Got this in my email:
Winter NAMM 2014 is here! And Studio Devil is going to blow you away!

If you were wondering what Studio Devil has been up to for the past year, well...let's just say you won't need a laptop to get the best amp modeling on the planet anymore...something completely amazing is coming your way real soon.

We will be releasing more information as the show unfolds, and you will be able to see, hear, and watch demos of this amazing release in the days to come...so stay tuned to our website and Facebook page, and look out for YouTube videos from NAMM.
I sincerely hope the "you won't need a laptop to get the best amp modeling on the planet anymore" doesn't mean another iPad amp simulator...
of course it does, silly.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

The picture that accompanied this on Facebook was of something made of red anodized aluminum, with a foot switch on it. So, it looks like it will be hardware.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

It's definitely red.

It definitely has a few footswitches on it...among other things.

And it's definitely NOT an iPad...

More to come soon...join our facebook page for updates as they come:
http://www.facebook.com/studiodevil

:)
Marc Gallo, Ph.D.
Studio Devil Virtual Tube Amplification
www.studiodevil.com
"Desire Analog...Embrace Digital!"

Hmmm. Chin stroke...
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

So, it's going to be some kind of hardware box. I'm wondering if it's based on improved modelling, and if so, whether or not that will trickle down to the VST plugins.

I'd really like to see amp sims make improvements in a few areas, namely:

1. Better cabinet modelling (still feel like this is too static)
2. Sounding "loud" (that can mean raw and dirty sounding - i.e. bad but good - maybe this also has to do with mic, room, and signal chain modelling)
3. Clean sustain (a cranked up Twin won't distort per se but still sustains)
4. Feedback (I'm sure there's a way to simulate feedback in software without me having to risk my monitors by blasting them)
5. Pick Dynamics (my Fender Twin Amp is extremely responsive to picking where it can go from quietish to incredibly loud all based on my pick attack).

Right now our modellers have figured out how to do slick Classic Rock to Metal amp tones rather well, but the above areas still aren't entirely right for me. If whatever Studio Devil is showing at NAMM addresses some, or all of the above, I'd be all ears.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:4. Feedback (I'm sure there's a way to simulate feedback in software without me having to risk my monitors by blasting them)
no, there isn't :-) feedback involves your strings being excited by the amp. no string excitation - no feedback. there's a Softube plug and a pedal they made for Fender, but they don't sound natural to me at all. and nothing will, because it's about strings interacting with an amp.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:4. Feedback (I'm sure there's a way to simulate feedback in software without me having to risk my monitors by blasting them)
no, there isn't :-) feedback involves your strings being excited by the amp. no string excitation - no feedback. there's a Softube plug and a pedal they made for Fender, but they don't sound natural to me at all. and nothing will, because it's about strings interacting with an amp.
What about something like...run input into amp...take parallel copy of input and put it in feedback loop...prior to sending it back to amp sim input put an envelope on it to fade it in going into the amp sim...only have this interaction take place based on long sustained notes (probably need an envelope and/or pitch detector for that). The idea is that if I'm holding a note, the amp sim itself feeds the note back into the input so it sustains indefinitely, at least simulating that one type of feedback.

I used to go to NAMM almost every year and although there were a few interesting bits and pieces happening,I was always left with the same impression....

"Well look at that...The're reinventing the wheel and making it round again" :wink:
No auto tune...

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Burillo wrote:
What about something like...run input into amp...take parallel copy of input and put it in feedback loop...prior to sending it back to amp sim input put an envelope on it to fade it in going into the amp sim...only have this interaction take place based on long sustained notes (probably need an envelope and/or pitch detector for that). The idea is that if I'm holding a note, the amp sim itself feeds the note back into the input so it sustains indefinitely, at least simulating that one type of feedback.
This is basically how Softube's version works. You can adjust the harmonic content a bit, but I was pretty wowed by it at first and over time kinda realized, oh, hrm, this isn't actually like real sustain.

Now I just turn my monitors up a bit higher. Also I use a lot of outboard preamps, I dunno, I could probably make do with a few models and a few cabs and all the neato effects and stuff, and just use analog dirt to do the dirty work.

I'll be watching to see what this is, though, StudioDevil stuff is very very good.

i'm about to do my own version of amp feedback. just waiting for payday :-)

basically, i'll have a real cabinet, and a pocket transistor amp (EHX something). i'll feed distorted (i.e. preamped by software) into the cab straight out of the DAW (using extra line out on my Audiobox). that way, i'll get real guitar sound through a cabinet, but actually record clean sound. kinda like a software splitter, only preamp is also software.

but if this thing from StudioDevil will allow me to do that without going through all of this - i'm all for it :-D

Burillo wrote:i'm about to do my own version of amp feedback. just waiting for payday :-)

basically, i'll have a real cabinet, and a pocket transistor amp (EHX something). i'll feed distorted (i.e. preamped by software) into the cab straight out of the DAW (using extra line out on my Audiobox). that way, i'll get real guitar sound through a cabinet, but actually record clean sound. kinda like a software splitter, only preamp is also software.
isnt it better to simply use dedicated tools /like vibesware guitar resonator etc.../ and keep your hearing undamaged? :shrug:

kvaca wrote:
Burillo wrote:i'm about to do my own version of amp feedback. just waiting for payday :-)

isnt it better to simply use dedicated tools /like vibesware guitar resonator etc.../ and keep your hearing undamaged? :shrug:
actually, i didn't know about the existence of this thing... this looks quite interesting! thanks! i may opt for that instead!

If you like feedback, you might want to look at the Moog guitar...totally not rock and roll, I know...but they do something interesting...they use a pair of pickups as outputs instead of just inputs...they feed some signal into the pickup...this actually moves the strings, similar to how they are moved by the vibrations coming from an actual amplified loudspeaker...then, the other pair of pickup coils picks up the string movement...and you can feed that back if you want....interesting stuff...

as far as a software feedbacker, I've played with that before and had some promising results...maybe one day I will perfect it...involves modeling the strings...the trick is how to determine how the "modeled" strings should be fretted by the source input...that's the difficult part...

back to Studio Devil...yes, this new hardware will feature improvements on our already renown amp modeling algorithms...things that will improve the power amp to speaker reactive load interactions, power supply sag, feedback/damping ratio, and others to name a few...a lot of surprises in store...

but one thing won't be a surprise...it will still sound amazingly lifelike and will be just as inspiring to play through!!!

More soon!

remember to like our facebook page to keep up with announcements and pics that are forthcoming!!!
Marc Gallo, Ph.D.
Studio Devil Virtual Tube Amplification
www.studiodevil.com
"Desire Analog...Embrace Digital!"

From the one screenshot, and the comment "several footswitches" - this reminds me a bit of the Line6 PodHD concept.

Now... if you (StudioDevil) even consider creating a link between the software and(!) the hardware (like the POD series), then it's definitely not reinventing the wheel, but at least a new way of income for you.

So kudos for taking that risk as such a build is definitely not funded out of thin air.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Effects”