What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Bazille for dummies...

Official support for: u-he.com

Moderator: Urs

papertiger
KVRer
 
25 posts since 4 Nov, 2005

Postby papertiger; Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:45 am Bazille for dummies...

Apologies if there is already a thread like this on the U-he forum, but I couldn't find a thread similar to what I hope this thread will become.

I'm fascinated by the idea of modular synths but so far I've held off diving into them (for various reasons, including the cash money and time suck aspects). So imagine my joy when I discovered the beta of Bazille. While I'm all for experimenting, I'm also all for understanding what I'm doing and reading manuals (woo!). Since one does not exist for Bazille, I thought I would start this thread so that those, like me, who want to learn more about Bazille can ask questions of those who are further advanced (Bazille Sensais?).

To start if off, here are three questions I've been wondering about...

1. Is it possible to get Bazille to drone without MIDI input? I believe that ACE always requires a MIDI input to make sound, but I'm not sure if that's the case with Bazille. It would be nice to have the Gate/Amp open all the time to experiment with and discover the modulation options and how they work together.

2. What is the vertical/y scale in the sequencer? Does it adopt the range of what it's plugged into?

3. What exactly is the difference between Out and Raw? I'm assuming that Raw does not include the FM or PD aspects of the oscillator, but what else does it/does not include?

Remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people. :clown:
User avatar
aMUSEd
KVRAF
 
19423 posts since 14 Sep, 2002, from In teh net

Postby aMUSEd; Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:54 am Re: Bazille for dummies...

Wait for the cut down version, Baz :)
User avatar
justin3am
KVRAF
 
9228 posts since 7 May, 2006, from Southern California

Postby justin3am; Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:10 pm Re: Bazille for dummies...

1) Currently there is no way to make a voice drone. I believe it has to do with how voices are allocated. This is the biggest feature request for me as well.

2) Now that you mention it, I'm not sure. I think all signals are floating point until they reach a destination, so it may depend on what you are connecting it to.

3) Out has a VCA in front of it, and Raw does not. The volume control on an oscillator has no impact on the Raw output. This way you can use an envelope on one output to use it as a dynamic FM source while still sending the Raw output to a mixer or other signal destination, unaffected by the envelope.
User avatar
Urs
u-he
 
17052 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:28 pm Re: Bazille for dummies...

justin3am wrote:3) Out has a VCA in front of it, and Raw does not. The volume control on an oscillator has no impact on the Raw output. This way you can use an envelope on one output to use it as a dynamic FM source while still sending the Raw output to a mixer or other signal destination, unaffected by the envelope.

The main incentive was that one could use Raw to get the Osc heard while using the VCA output to modulate the Osc by itself (FM/PM/PD feedback)
User avatar
justin3am
KVRAF
 
9228 posts since 7 May, 2006, from Southern California

Postby justin3am; Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:39 pm Re: Bazille for dummies...

Urs wrote:
justin3am wrote:3) Out has a VCA in front of it, and Raw does not. The volume control on an oscillator has no impact on the Raw output. This way you can use an envelope on one output to use it as a dynamic FM source while still sending the Raw output to a mixer or other signal destination, unaffected by the envelope.

The main incentive was that one could use Raw to get the Osc heard while using the VCA output to modulate the Osc by itself (FM/PM/PD feedback)

Yep, that is how I most commonly use it and luckily each output can have more than one destination! :)
pdxindy
KVRAF
 
8625 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:42 pm Re: Bazille for dummies...

papertiger wrote: Is it possible to get Bazille to drone without MIDI input? I believe that ACE always requires a MIDI input to make sound, but I'm not sure if that's the case with Bazille. It would be nice to have the Gate/Amp open all the time to experiment with and discover the modulation options and how they work together.


As justin said it is not possible... but it is easy enough to hold/sustain/endless loop a note for such experimentation...
papertiger
KVRer
 
25 posts since 4 Nov, 2005

Postby papertiger; Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:26 am Re: Bazille for dummies...

Thanks, everyone. You guys are great. More questions to come as I think of them. :party:

Moderator: Urs

Return to u-he