Login / Register  0 items | $0.00New @ What is KVR? Submit News Advertise

What synths have the best DIGITAL filters ?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

User avatar
antto
KVRAF
 
2345 posts since 4 Sep, 2006, from 127.0.0.1

Postby antto; Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:13 pm Re: What are the best DIGITAL filters ?

Q: best digital filter?
A: fractional decimator ftw
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.freenode.net >>> #kvr
DJMashbot
KVRist
 
417 posts since 30 Apr, 2012

Postby DJMashbot; Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:27 am Re: What are the best DIGITAL filters ?

antto wrote:Q: best digital filter?
A: fractional decimator ftw


What synth has that? Sounds interesting, for sure
User avatar
Ingonator
KVRAF
 
9027 posts since 21 Mar, 2008, from Hannover, Germany

Postby Ingonator; Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:50 am Re: What synths have the best DIGITAL filters ?

Tone 2 Rayblaster creates a filter response based on any waveform you feed into it. No matter if that waveform is based on an existing synth (where Rayblaster could emulate that filter within certain limits) or if the waveform is a complex one craeted "from scratch" (with e.g. DNr WaveDesigner). In the last case Rayblaster will create a "fantasy filter" which somehow seems to work like a mix of a formant filter and a Comb filter and could craete several different timbres while turning the "Formant" (= Cutoff) knob.
A resonant filter is possible when a resonant waveform is used.


Linplug Spectral was already mentioned. With this you could draw your own filter response (with semitones in the x-axis and amplitude in dB in the y-axis). For example you could create a 48dB/oct or even steeper BP filter. This would correspond to a drop of 48 db over 12 semitones or 24dB over 6 semitones etc.



Ingo
Ingo Weidner - Waldorf Beta Forum Manager
"Atmospheric Transients" for PPG Wave 3.V
"Analog vs Digital" for Blofeld
Win 10 64-bit / Cubase Pro 8 / Live 9 / Studio One 2.6 / Reaper 4 / Bitwig Studio 1.1 / Pro Tools 11
cron
KVRAF
 
2270 posts since 27 Dec, 2002, from London

Postby cron; Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:33 am Re: What synths have the best DIGITAL filters ?

Harmor's filters are truly mental. Arbitrary control over filter shape AND resonance shape independently (for instance, you could draw in an entirely arbitrary filter shape but then boost a completely different frequency [or frequencies] with the res control), strange resonance types that leave 'holes' in the signal or create digital burbling etc, filter cutoff and resonance frequency can be decoupled, 'self-oscillation' can again be arbitrarily achieved having as much or as little connection to the cut-off AND resonance frequency/shape as you like... and that's just touching the surface. Crazy stuff all round.

All that and it can still do a passable analogue impression.
Last edited by cron on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mutant
KVRAF
 
2362 posts since 9 Oct, 2004, from Poland

Postby Mutant; Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:02 am Re: What are the best DIGITAL filters ?

Tricky-Loops wrote:Since when are filters instruments? :o :help:


Since they can self oscillate! :D :wink:
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !
User avatar
Tricky-Loops
KVRAF
 
9651 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:05 am Re: What are the best DIGITAL filters ?

Mutant wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:Since when are filters instruments? :o :help:
Since they can self oscillate! :D :wink:
Holy Sine! :shock: :hihi:
izonin
KVRian
 
784 posts since 27 Oct, 2009

Postby izonin; Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:30 am Re: What synths have the best DIGITAL filters ?

hardware - Virus
software - Spire

Now Virus also has the Moog filter, but the standard LP is quite digital.
I may be completely wrong
BBFG#
KVRAF
 
4726 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:47 am Re: What synths have the best DIGITAL filters ?

They're all pretty good these days, but I have to give the edge to U-HE; ZHZ & Diva
User avatar
Sendy
KVRAF
 
4947 posts since 20 Jul, 2010

Postby Sendy; Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:49 am Re: What synths have the best DIGITAL filters ?

Diva's filters are analog.

Touchpaper lit... Standing back.... :hihi:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp!
BBFG#
KVRAF
 
4726 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:03 am Re: What synths have the best DIGITAL filters ?

Sendy wrote:Diva's filters are analog.

Touchpaper lit... Standing back.... :hihi:


Analog emulated. But I get your point! 8)
pdxindy
KVRAF
 
9332 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:13 pm Re: What synths have the best DIGITAL filters ?

The XMF filter in Zebra
BBFG#
KVRAF
 
4726 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:33 pm Re: What synths have the best DIGITAL filters ?

pdxindy wrote:The XMF filter in Zebra


Yes... this.
Kriminal
Suspended

Postby Kriminal; Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:39 pm Re: What synths have the best DIGITAL filters ?

izonin wrote:hardware - Virus
software - Spire

Now Virus also has the Moog filter, but the standard LP is quite digital.


the virus is software
gentleclockdivider
KVRist
 
318 posts since 21 Mar, 2009, from gent

Postby gentleclockdivider; Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:14 pm Re: What synths have the best DIGITAL filters ?

Kriminal wrote:
izonin wrote:hardware - Virus
software - Spire

Now Virus also has the Moog filter, but the standard LP is quite digital.


the virus is software

Image
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
 
4499 posts since 16 Dec, 2002, from over there

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:23 am Re: What synths have the best DIGITAL filters ?

cron wrote:Harmor's filters are truly mental. Arbitrary control over filter shape AND resonance shape independently (for instance, you could draw in an entirely arbitrary filter shape but then boost a completely different frequency [or frequencies] with the res control), strange resonance types that leave 'holes' in the signal or create digital burbling etc, filter cutoff and resonance frequency can be decoupled, 'self-oscillation' can again be arbitrarily achieved having as much or as little connection to the cut-off AND resonance frequency/shape as you like... and that's just touching the surface. Crazy stuff all round.

All that and it can still do a passable analogue impression.


Plus there are 2 filters and all the modules can be re ordered in the signal chain.
A truly digital synth
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments