What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Bad Sci-fi

If it's not about music it belongs here! Please keep it civil and decent.... except - see below->

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRian

1122 posts since 14 Aug, 2012, from Australia

Postby werp; Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:02 pm Re: Bad Sci-fi

Prometheus.
A really big let down. Awful casting apart from Charlize Theron.
My avatar is fat and lazy, I'm 11 pixels narrower but just as lazy.
KVRAF

19836 posts since 26 Jul, 2005, from Inside Schroedinger's Cat...or am I...

Postby robojam; Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:00 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

werp wrote:Prometheus.

I was looking forward to it, but I heard too many bad things from people whose opinions I respect on films, so didn't bother with it.
addled muppet weed

34207 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:01 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

i thought it was good, not great and had a few flaws yeah, but compared to the other choices in movies at the time, it was outstanding :hihi:
it was either that or some chick flick. luckily my date that night was shit at rock, paper, scissors.
KVRAF

7891 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:34 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

I liked Prometheus. It kind of tied up some ends from Alien. Good fx. Let me put it this way. I did not get bored.
addled muppet weed

34207 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:39 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

osiris wrote:I liked Prometheus. It kind of tied up some ends from Alien. Good fx. Let me put it this way. I did not get bored.

im hoping they do a few more to fill in the gap so to speak, the evolution of that squid to the ripley years, even one more film, as i know it wouldnt have much human involvement (well none) pre "alien", but id like to know how the species became what it did, how it survived through the ages, which could involve other alien species.
what do i know though, youre the scriptwriter here :x
KVRAF

3802 posts since 5 May, 2005, from Stockholm, Sweden

Postby lotus2035; Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:25 pm Re: Bad Sci-fi

robojam wrote:

I was looking forward to it, but I heard too many bad things from people whose opinions I respect on films, so didn't bother with it.

I re-watched it last week on blu-ray and I have to say my appreciation of it increases with each viewing. Its easily one of the best sci-fi movies made in recent times. Some of the characters are stupid but it seems obvious to me that there are supposed to be naive, ignorant and stupid including Shaw and the accomplished Weyland. One of the points of the movie is to show that just maybe there are bigger fish out there who view us as nothing more than bacteria in a petri dish and our 'beliefs' about who we are and what our place is in the universe could all very well be seriously misplaced.
Many complained about the bio-weapon element in the story saying it was too convoluted (compared to the life cycle of the Alien) but again it seemed obvious to me that the whole point of this weapon is that it IS unpredictable and runs havok on biological systems which is exactly why the engineers weren't able to control it.

I had my own views about the bioweapon though, I thought that maybe it was engineered from the DNA of the Alien which the engineers may have worshipped, as hinted by with the giant mural in the chamber which shows their entire life-cycle. Why would the engineers create religious ceremonies based around a weapon they made themselves? It doesn’t make sense. It would if they did in fact create the weapon from the DNA of their “gods”. Maybe their whole design ethic was based on the Alien which was probably a naturally occurring species in the universe, maybe even an extinct one.
It’s funny that in the interviews in the run up to release of Prometheus I heard the cast say this movie “had the DNA of Alien” in it. A hint perhaps? :-D

Funnily enough Theron was my least favourite thing about it. She's introduced doing push-ups like she's some kind of tough nut but her arms look like twigs about to snap. I read that it was Theron's idea that Weyland should be her father because she had a hard time accepting that her character could be a bitch all on her own. So the idea was that she was a bitch because her father was an asshole. :roll: Hey Theron, women can be assholes too! :lol:
Scott should have told her to shut up, oscar winner or not. That little scene she has with her father was meant to be this big dramatic reveal but it fell totally flat and was totally pointless in the greater context of the story. In all her scenes she just comes across as a grumpy teenager who just wants to be loved by daddy. It's the only part of the movie that annoys me really, oh except for Rapace's terrible "English" accent. Couldn't they have just made her character Swedish or at least German or something?

I remember there were many complaints about the girls running away from the crashing ship, "why did they run in a straight line instead of turning left or right?". Well, actually they do in fact both take a sharp left turn at one point, it happens right on a cut so it's easy to miss.

I love this universe though I think it's fascinating I look forward to seeing where it goes next. I hope Scott can knock out the next one sooner rather than later.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle.
KVRAF

3402 posts since 1 Aug, 2005, from where butter flies

Postby Zombie Queen; Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:03 pm Re: Bad Sci-fi

Prometheus, it was simply idiotic.
KVRAF

40082 posts since 20 Dec, 2005

Postby hibidy; Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:22 pm Re: Bad Sci-fi

My favorite part is (spoiler alert) is when she has been clearly betrayed and then finds her way into that machine, gets the alien out, gets stapled back up, moves around like nothing happened, and then goes back out there with the people who betrayed her as if nothing happened.
KVRAF

2593 posts since 2 Jul, 2007, from Oxycontin Acres, Georgia, USA

Postby SODDI; Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:24 pm Re: Bad Sci-fi

A really big let down. Awful casting apart from [edit]Noomi Rapace[edit].

IFYPFY.
KVRAF

1593 posts since 5 Nov, 2009

Postby arkmabat; Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:34 pm Re: Bad Sci-fi

Just saw Dune [1984] (I was born after the 80s ended) and I must say it wasn't what I was hoping it to be. I found it to be moral-less, hypnotic, depressing and excessively violent for no real end. The soundtrack was pretty good though.
KVRAF

Postby hibidy; Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:38 pm Re: Bad Sci-fi

SODDI wrote:
A really big let down. Awful casting apart from [edit]Noomi Rapace[edit].

IFYPFY.

haha! In some ways I totally agree. CT was NOT the hot babe imho.
KVRAF

Postby hibidy; Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:40 pm Re: Bad Sci-fi

arkmabat wrote:Just saw Dune [1984] (I was born after the 80s ended) and I must say it wasn't what I was hoping it to be. I found it to be moral-less, hypnotic, depressing and excessively violent for no real end. The soundtrack was pretty good though.

The interesting thing about "dune" for me was the fascination about the overall story. Characters were intriguing for me but the strange story was key. The idea of the "guild" and the waring "houses"
KVRAF

3802 posts since 5 May, 2005, from Stockholm, Sweden

Postby lotus2035; Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:38 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

hibidy wrote:My favorite part is (spoiler alert) is when she has been clearly betrayed and then finds her way into that machine, gets the alien out, gets stapled back up, moves around like nothing happened, and then goes back out there with the people who betrayed her as if nothing happened.

You mean the part where she staggers around after injecting and ingesting huge amounts of futuristic painkillers? :hihi:
Edit: maybe those injections were not painkillers but some kind of high-tech nanites/nanobots, that repair damaged tissue rapidly.

Your comment about the betrayal thing reminded me of something. Remember in Aliens when Ripley woke up and Burke was sitting there beside her, the first thing he said was that he was from the company. Realistically she should have punched him in the face right there. The only one she had a problem with was the android bishop! Didn't she figure out that Ash (being an android too) was programmed by the company? If she was ok with the company and Burke why wasn't she ok with the glorified toaster that only does what it's programmed to do? Did she think that androids operate independently? Pretty dumb behaviour on her part. :hihi:
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle.
KVRian

1122 posts since 14 Aug, 2012, from Australia

Postby werp; Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:10 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

Battleship.
I blame editors, they make or break a film. The trailer looked promising so I bought the blu-ray and struggled through 1/2 of it before deciding that hanging out the laundry was a better option. Unadulterated twaddle.
My avatar is fat and lazy, I'm 11 pixels narrower but just as lazy.
KVRAF

2518 posts since 8 Jun, 2009, from UK

Postby Gamma-UT; Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:26 am Re: Bad Sci-fi

I think you're confusing bad scriptwriting with bad casting.

Fassbender did an impressive job of playing an android playing Peter O'Toole playing TE Lawrence.
Guy Pearce did fine. The problem with using him was that they cut out the bits that had a younger version of Weyland. Otherwise, they could simply have cast an older actor.
Noomi Rapace just wound up with having to make some plot turns seem remotely believable. And they wanted a non-Ripley Ripley, which she did well enough.

I didn't see many problems with casting. It was the story that was incoherent.
No longer blank as Frank
Soundcloud
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Off Topic