Help me get started with VSTGUI

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aciddose wrote:They've cured this issue in the VSTGUI4x versions by using functions provided by the OS for decoding.

Not surprisingly though, eight years later I still can't recommend using VSTGUI over rolling your own. Using it for anything serious requires so many modifications and eventually some of their design decisions will limit what you can accomplish without completely replacing large chunks of the library.

I can recommend that if you do use VSTGUI, definitely use the latest version. With all its limitations and things I would do differently, 4x actually begins to work quite reliably with minimal effort.
4.x also has the 'missing png.h' file problem.

Tell me this aciddose - can I create a GUI like this (using vstgui?):
http://www.deviantart.com/art/gui-desig ... -149789129

I can't tell you that based upon a screenshot.

VSTGUI does not support layers unless you make a lot of modifications.

Anything you can do with simple bitmap alpha-blit should be possible if you invest enough effort.

4x doesn't have any issue if configured correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't configured correctly by default though.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”