Vanguard2!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Vanguard

Numanoid wrote:
Kriminal wrote:no, im pretty sure they fell out....i remember a big thread about it years ago...
Tone2 still keeping a webpage for Vanguard, so all love seems not to be lost?:
http://www.tone2.com/html/vanguard_vst_ ... sizer.html

i didnt mean the companies fell out :wink:

Kriminal wrote:no, im pretty sure they fell out....i remember a big thread about it years ago...
Big thread, three pages? :?

Where are the juicy-gossipy-backstabbing bits in that thread, all I can see is "boring" tech-talk? :clown:

Numanoid wrote:

Where are the juicy-gossipy-backstabbing bits in that thread, all I can see is "boring" tech-talk? :clown:

dunno, havent read it....might be a diff thread

Kriminal wrote:dunno, havent read it....might be a diff thread
You started it right? But you no read it? :P

Numanoid wrote:
Kriminal wrote:dunno, havent read it....might be a diff thread
You started it right? But you no read it? :P
not since 2010, no.

Kriminal wrote:
Numanoid wrote:

dunno, havent read it....might be a diff thread
I don't think it's the same thread you're thinking of either. I seem to recall a much longer and more specific (i.e., more drama) thread as well.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Well.....?

Dig it up!!! :D

I searched, but didn't see it. Maybe I'm just imagining it, or confusing it with a different thread, or maybe one of those pesky mods deleted it.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

I'm still using Vanguard for trance basslines and in fatc that's the only plugin remaining for the job. Most of its power comes from trancegate alone, but also fat oscillators and some special detune / degrade FX.

The question is, what are they going to add or improve.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

TheoM wrote:
Compyfox wrote:Isn't QuadraSID 32bit only as well?
I'd rather see this one updated - but who knows.

please please please.. Man i love quadrasynth.. and the third party banks for it are just stellar. Rob Hubbard has done a bank too :)

I will take that as is, with maybe some ergonomic improvements and 64 bit please.
Not only Rob Hubbard (the first bank I got as update), actually the factory Bank sounds are by Chris Hülsbeck. So if there will ever be an update, and even a free one, then please keep the "Hülsbeck" bank.

It's still great for bass, pads and 8bit arps.
Only wish I could share presets with an actual hardware SID. But this was (IIRC) planned for a possible "OctaSID", which never happened. I'm fine with either way.

And that sadly reminds me to still salvage some old C64's for the SID chip and build an mbSID. I think by now, the kits are pretty easy to assemble and program.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I like Vanguard. Unlike most other subtractive synths with the same kinds of features, Vanguard has an actual sound and identity of its own. Sure, if you use it expecting to make Virus supersaws you're going to be disappointed, but then you have a million other choices for that kind of thing. I hope Vanguard 2 turns out to be more than just a 64-bit retrofit. I think the overwhelming success of Nexus really killed ReFX as a creative company that actually made things that were different.

I think ultimately history will vindicate Vanguard once people have stopped obsessed over getting software to make exact replicas of the same old sounds we've heard over and over.

GeckoYamori wrote:I hope Vanguard 2 turns out to be more than just a 64-bit retrofit. I think the overwhelming success of Nexus really killed ReFX as a creative company that actually made things that were different.

I think ultimately history will vindicate Vanguard once people have stopped obsessed over getting software to make exact replicas of the same old sounds we've heard over and over.
You have some really good points and thoughts. I agree with you 100 percent.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Vanguard has a peculiar liquid plasticity to it's sound that I really like. The anti-aliasing in it works a little strange, it can take the edge off of your PWM type wave modulations, so I turn it on for high pitched notes (where AA is needed for a nice sound) and leave it off for lower notes, where you have a full spectrum of harmonics and you want to keep them biting (I find, in the lower registers, the aliasing is both lesser, and maybe what there is of it actually helps the sound be more interesting).

It has some interesting waveforms as well > Synced noise for example!
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

On the other hand, let's not forget that reFX is among the eldest VSTi programmers on the market. And that company also set standards with the first implementation of modern VST SDK code: resizable GUI's (meaning, switching from full GUI to Rack view).

Vanguard got first released in 2004, years before the "emulation game" happened, and two years before the infamous Nexus was released.

Something is not to underestimate here:
a) we see a revival of such an old synth - even if the focus was on Nexus recently
b) it will be available to modern-day rig users (64bit, Mac OSX Mavericks, etc)
c) reFX users that have this synth, get it free of charge

With respect, not every company does this. Spectrasonics is one of the rare exceptions (Stylus RMX was first released in January 2004, last major updates with even more features was June 2010, maintenance update was last Nov/Dez 2013! - 10 years of free updates!!!).

For example: Waves asks for WUP fees in order to still access and use your old tools on modern rigs (how old is L1 and MaxxBass again?). Cakewalk asks 49USD (VAT unknown, sorry) for the in-here-critisized "updated code" of z3ta+ only.

Now, 10 years later... there is critism that this (Vanguard) might only be a 64-bit retrofit?
Maybe even go Elicenser?

Tell you what - I wouldn't care any less for example with QuadraSID, as long as I can continue using that one. And QuadraSID is considerable older (first KVR news entry with QuadraSID was in Oct2002 - I remember a release around 2001, last update to v1.6 was 2007 - all in all that's 13 years by now!).

Same with my hardware - if I can continue using it, or it's still being sold (so I can get spareparts and updates) - even better!

So - if the reFX team is reading this (which I'm pretty sure) - please also consider giving "QuadraSID" a code update (but keep the Chris Hülsbeck presets, or offer them as free pack with an update).
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote: c) reFX users that have this synth, get it free of charge
Not free if you have to buy a Dongle to use it.........
Free updates are not that uncommon. Free upgrades often require payment and rightfully so........
For example we got a free 64 bit update for Cobalt even long after Leslie left the business.......
Compyfox wrote:Now, 10 years later... there is critism that this (Vanguard) might only be a 64-bit retrofit?
Maybe even go Elicenser?
An update that only brings 64 bit support and then requires a Dongle will deserve criticism.....but there's not even a release date yet so let's see what happens. If it's just a free update that brings 64 bit support and does not require a different copy protection than version one it will get my respect and gratitude. An upgrade that brings new features but requires a Dongle would be useless to me. Just my personal stance.

Vanguard has been replaced by other synths in my rack but if I could have a 64 bit version that works with my current reg code then I'd install it, say thanks and maybe even use it again.............. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”