Anyone knowledgeable with computer repairs? BSOD!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

About to update my display driver and its about 142 MB, should I be concerned with a crash in middle of installation which might take a minute or two due to size?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Know about chkdsk options a little and will try again after I try a few things and make sure its safe ie and there aren't any hardware malfunctions? memtest came up with 90 errors in the memory so should i still think about running check disk? f=find and r=repair right, I know one such option overwrite data will checking so must be sure.. So far computer running smooth for over 30 minutes, its really weird sometimes its every five minutes for days and somedays its five crashes in five days???
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:Just finished upgrading wireless driver, also I opened up the event viewer which is new to me and have no idea where to begin and the windows are quite clumsy, small can't read full list and I don't see an option to extend the windows to view everything? What should I look for here?
In the event viewer, look under Windows Logs->System

The windows are resizeable after maximising the application. The window allows you to sort events.

Just noticed I don't have SP1 X64 installed, will try this out, at the very least the latest version of Direct X Should be installed with it.

Linked a rar of event view info in case this may help, not sure what to check for?

http://www78.zippyshare.com/v/40952425/file.html

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:Know about chkdsk options a little and will try again after I try a few things and make sure its safe ie and there aren't any hardware malfunctions? memtest came up with 90 errors in the memory so should i still think about running check disk?
I wouldn't recommend it. If you do disk repair (chkdsk) with faulty memory, there's a chance of confusing the disk repair utility, which in the worst-case can trash your file systems to the point where you have to format the disk to make it work again.

If you get memory errors, then either the memory is broken (likely) or you have some more serious hardware problem (also possible), which means you need hardware repair. That usually comes down to isolating the faulty part and replacing it with a working one.

Personally I'd avoid running the system at all (except as necessarity for narrowing down which part is causing the issues), to minimize the chances of additional problems.

Ill perform a hardware diagnostics next time I reboot before upgrading the bios or installing driver updates,( Direct x 11 and USB drivers), so for now are there any other diagnostics I could run to try and narrow this down. So far a few hours logged on. I backed up all my files a while ago as well.

TTU Youtube

At this point I'm considering doing a reformat and a fresh install of win7 but am hesitant somewhere along the way I'll loose access to the internet from a faulty installation or what not. Whats the worst case scenario, that Win7 will install correctly but will have the same issues ie screen crashes or maybe a failed install and no access whatsoever, or is this contingent on it being a hardware or driver issue?
Could it be something else, spyware, viruses ,etc?

TTU Youtube

Use a bootable linux cd/dvd: if it runs, you probably have an OS problem,
not a hardware failure, and can proceed accordingly.

Many bookstores sell linux magazines that include a
bootable linux dvd, or download one at the neighbors, and
burn the .iso to a cd/dvd. Boot using the early-boot menu,
the keypress will flash on screen at computer startup, F9, esc, etc

This one at this mirror is a small fast E17 basedlinux, and enjoyable to use:

http://www.macpup.org/redirect.php?myurl=55001

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WTT17ZMd5k

I've had so many windows issues I wouldn't mind staying with linux :D if only more vsti's were there, maybe mac though, can I install mac os on a dell? lol Thanks, I will give this a try

TTU Youtube

about 90% of non-dongled, non-pace instruments and effects
work in linux wine with wineasio, hosted by reaper, or standalone
using fst or festige. U-he, Cakewalk, Native Instruments, IK,
Wusik, Ugo, Algomusic, Pianoteq, and the best freeware are no problem.

For a preconfigured vst users distro, Studio 1337 is $50, on a bootable usbstick
RT kernel, runs in ram, for great speed.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77397

An earlier now free version is still here:

http://www.puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet. ... 3.3-rt.iso

AV linux, ArtisX, KX Studio, Fedora CCRMA, and others, are also capable,
if leaning more towards the 'Fat Albert' type of system.

Macpup and other puppy linuxi will prompt to create a savefile, in .sfs format.
You can choose to resize this larger at each shutting down,
the action will take place at next boot.
Cheers
and will be in C:\

Try to fix the memory error before attempting anything else; as Mystran said, use your machine as scarcely as possible while the RAM problem exists.

If you have several RAM modules, you could try to remove one and check if the errors still are present. You can find out how many you have before opening the PC with CPU-Z. Your PC will run slower (less capacity for multiple programs), but it will be stable if you found the culprit.

While you're inside the case, you could have a look for bad capacitors. These would justify getting a new computer.

Geez, how resistant to advice are you?

Memtest does NOTHING but run through your RAM memory bars, Bit by Bit by Bit. If it says your RAM is f'ked, 90 times over, your RAM is f'ked.

Then people tell you "it happens all the time", "it's likely", over and over again -- but still you go on about reformatting and reinstalling and chkdsk and whatnot.

Here's mine: I had constant crashes in a new machine made entirely out of new components, including brand new RAM bars. Memtested the memory, many errors, replaced the memory, no more BSODs.

Just get new RAM bars, replace the old ones, be done with the crashes. :roll:

If you have multiple RAM bars in your system, you could try removing them one by one and running Memtest over and over again, to find out which really is/are the broken RAM bar(s), then replace only the broken ones. But if you do that, you need to know exactly what you're doing, otherwise you might end up in a whole new world of trouble, mixing CAS latency times, bus frequencies, etc.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Thanks for the advice so far; I'm going to try taking out the RAM stick/s one by one to see if I can find which are faulty with memtest. Will install the cpu-z app noizetronic linked to find out how many I should be looking for then browse through some manuals or videos tutorials on how to find and remove the ram sticks,which hopefully won't be to hard or tricky being and inspiron one series'? Your advice and patience so far is very much appreciated, Really you guys are much more of a help than dell's community forums and windows sevenforums. :D

Just to be sure the computer will still run, albeit slowly with the ram stick/s taken out is this correct? Will be sure to give the areas a good cleaning while I'm at it. Will let you know how it goes, hopefully the faulty memory is the extent of the issue.

TTU Youtube

Probably bad ram ..... I had this issue with my 1st PC I had built , its a common problem and a cheap one to fix .

mysticvibes wrote: Just to be sure the computer will still run, albeit slowly with the ram stick/s taken out is this correct? Will be sure to give the areas a good cleaning while I'm at it. Will let you know how it goes, hopefully the faulty memory is the extent of the issue.
No, you need at least one stick in it's slot, but take a sharpy
and mark a dot on a sticker on the chips, if there is one,
to ID them, if you have several. There should be latches at each end of the memory slot, for each stick, pull them away from the middle of the stick, to release it, then pull the stick up and away from the slot.
Start one end first, then move the other, to 'wiggle' it out.
Only touch non-conductive edges. Some sticks springload,
into position, and need a push to achieve a cerain angle,
before using the latches. Others are just perpendicular.
So you may see the stick move when the latches are pulled away.
Having a large copper-bottom pot
to touch, will release static from your fingers, for good luck. 8)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”