My opinion of Valhalla plugins

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys

I've posted here and there before about my quest for the best reverbs (for me) and frequently Valhalla has been mentioned and I'd always say something like "I just don't like them" Well, that was true but I've also always admitted I did not have a good handle on how to use reverbs.

So overtime after using many other reverbs I demoed Valhalla verbs loads of times, but more recently I demoed them again and my conclusion is that Vroom and VVV are among the best I've used. And their price and interface are fantastic.

Not that my opinion is important, but I thought I've publicly said many times they are not very good, so I thought I'd publicly say "um actually yes they are, very"

And ubermod I've still not used too much but it's very impressive too.

I plan to pick them all up pretty soon and can't see myself using anything else besides Phoenix.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

They are quite nice... ;)

I think it is definitely relates to your skills of using reverb.

I have VRoom and often try to compare it with VVV (demo). In the internet there are plenty of statements that VVV sounds more 3D, thickier and lushier comparing to VRoom. But I feel conversely.

I like settings with long tails (>5 sec) and relatively slow damping (so result is quite bright). I use a lot of modulation, just before the level the tail starts to dissipate. And I think that VRoom has much more interesting tails in this case while being 3D and lushier.

This is strange because I always liked Lexi reverbs (not in real life, but in tracks), and the electronic music I do assume using "artifical" lexi-type reverbs, not VRoom which is more "realistic" in compare.

But in recent time I am starting to love VVV. So may be it is relates to my experience of using reverbs and I possibly will buy VVV soon.

Probably depends on the source material being reverb-ed.

I've got the ultimate time-based bundle! ;)
Valhalla Room, Ubermod and Vintage Verb (recently purchased)!

In my opinion, they're all are great products though VRoom is my go to reverb plugin, followed by Vintage Verb.
Though it may change, I've had VRoom for about a year and just love it. Vintage Verb may be my future go to reverb, due to its clear GUI and simple controls (Sometimes I get lost in the nitty gritty attributes of V-Room).

I cant think of anything negative to say about those units. They just sound so good, easy to use and a low CPU usage! :D
Being a trance producer, reverb is used on just about everything, so CPU usage is a big thing for me.

Sean you've done a wonderful job of coding these awesome plugins, and kept them at a very affordable price!

Like with most things in music, there are parts objective and subjective. Reverb I think tends toward subjective. A lot of different factors go toward what is 'good' like
do you want natural sounding reverb?
One that emulates analog early attempts (spring/plate) digital attempts?

What is the source audio?

Why are you using it to make it fit in a virtual space? Take up more of a freq/time pocket etc.?

Then there are the options, algorithms..

For each of these intertwined goals and stylistic considerations, I would look to a very different reverb, but many discussions people just thrown out their favorites without qualification.

The Valhalla verbs fulfill many of these situations for me. And I love the modulations. Still, I seem to use them in a very different way than many people who share there valhallad creations, I tend to love them for very short coloration verbs. Not long ones.

Finally I purchased the VVV.
The first thing that I did was installing new beta.

And I must say: the new smooth algorithms are amazing for electronic instruments! I finally understood that I don't like when my punchy lead generates this series of "real" early roomy delays. And, i. e., smooth plate sound very smooth, not being roomy, without these distracting repeats but still spacious. And gorgeous in the mix!
Also smooth plate in "Now" mode can be quite bright without boring sand.

Although I sometimes prefer more atmospheric reverb when there are some distinctive delays in the tail (not just in attack stage), but I have also VRoom with LV426 and Nostromo for this case. ;)

P. S. I had almost no time for experimenting, but "dirty" algos was not so great as "smooth" for electronic instruments in my brief test (although before test I expected opposite effect). May be I do something wrong.

The only minus I'd say is I'd love a way to change how the harmonics work in shimmer. Other than that, greatest reverb plugins on the planet.

I'd forgotten all about Ubermod.. Tried it on my new Minibrute yesterday, mainly for delays. I feel like a fool for forgetting how awesome it is.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

have powercore vss3, lexicon pcm, uad emt140 and valhalla. the valhalla i use most of the time. :)
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Short response after 2 days of VVV usage: I like how it sits in the mix (a little better than VRoom in my clumsy hands), but I still think that VRoom is more 3D (wide/spacious) and lush.
Thinking about combining these reverbs in parallel or even series (sort of B2 ;)). Had a good experience in serial combining of Zebra reverb and VRoom before.

May be not very good example.
How the HUGE smooth plate can be transparent in the mix.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/570 ... heaven.mp3

trance_lucent wrote:Finally I purchased the VVV.

What beta?????????? :o

pdxindy wrote:
trance_lucent wrote:Finally I purchased the VVV.

What beta?????????? :o
One of these betas:

http://www.valhalladsp.com/aax-updates

OSX only for now. I'll get back to the Windows ports post-NAMM.

Sean Costello

Sean, I don't know if you ever heard this from other users, but a thing that bugs me is that I lose control over my DAW keyboard functions (like hitting spacebar for playback etc.) whenever I tweak either VVV or VR.

I have to click on Ableton's GUI again in order to get those functions back. I have not experienced this with any other 3rd party plugins. Is there any reason for this behaviour?

Return to “Valhalla DSP”