What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

SONiVox Twist for 20 Dollars

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRist
 
226 posts since 27 May, 2012, from Vermont, USA

Postby jc_vt; Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:11 pm Re: Bought Today Twist Synth for 20 bucks

Unfortunately, no. It would be much more interesting if you could. However, the synthesis engine is still capable of some interesting stuff with the supplied range of base samples


wasi wrote:I've been wondering about Twist 2.0 : Can you use your own samples or is it just the built in library?
KVRist
 
493 posts since 3 Sep, 2009, from Vancouver

Postby awol9000; Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:00 am Re: Bought Today Twist Synth for 20 bucks

thecontrolcentre wrote:I just recieved the code from JRR today ... already too late? "coupon code Twist20 is not valid" ... :shrug:


consider yourself lucky from what I hear lol
User avatar
KVRAF
 
5999 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:53 am Re: Bought Today Twist Synth for 20 bucks

Doug1978 wrote:Either way, this thread can be summed up as man spends $20, doesn't like what he's bought, and then moans about customer support which he hasn't yet experienced himself.

I think the main point with this thread is not about VST's , but the customer service one gets

Apparantly one buys a plugin to check what the customer service is, the plugin seems to be just an appendix, unimportant.

So far this thread has had more or less no input about the plugin itself, how it sounds, and what styles of music it would best fit... :help:
'Beware of people who dislike cats' [Irish proverb]
User avatar
KVRAF
 
15514 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny
 

Postby thecontrolcentre; Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:56 am Re: Bought Today Twist Synth for 20 bucks

awol9000 wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:I just recieved the code from JRR today ... already too late? "coupon code Twist20 is not valid" ... :shrug:


consider yourself lucky from what I hear lol


:hihi:
User avatar
KVRAF
 
7384 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:01 am Re: Bought Today Twist Synth for 20 bucks

Here's one of the positiver reviews:

http://bboytechreport.com/review/sonivox-twist
User avatar
KVRAF
 
5999 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:15 am Re: Bought Today Twist Synth for 20 bucks

I fhat's a positive review, I wonder how the bad ones are :D
Overall, I have luke warm feelings about SONiVOX TWIST. I’ve played with TWIST more lately and I’ve found it to be useful when in the mood to sound design but the design tools and interface a simple and limiting. Although I’m certain this is a design intended for less advanced user, for a more advanced user it’s just a bit uninspiring and stifling. I’m a bit uninspired by the presets. The interface is ok. The design overall is meant to be as simple as possible so you focus on twisting the BIG knobs to create new sounds. They hit the mark there. I created a few interesting patches but everything no matter what is pretty dub-steppy at its core. That’s okay because that’s TWISTs lane, unfortunately its not mine. However, when I mapped the knobs to my Akai MPK49, using the MPK49 arpeggiator with TWISTs Pattern Generator I had considerable amounts of fun freaking some sequences of TWIST sounds and effects combinations. Still dont expect TWIST to be a NI MASSIVE contender anytime soon.
'Beware of people who dislike cats' [Irish proverb]
User avatar
KVRAF
 
7384 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:21 am Re: Bought Today Twist Synth for 20 bucks

Numanoid wrote:I fhat's a positive review, I wonder how the bad ones are :D
Overall, I have luke warm feelings about SONiVOX TWIST. I’ve played with TWIST more lately and I’ve found it to be useful when in the mood to sound design but the design tools and interface a simple and limiting. Although I’m certain this is a design intended for less advanced user, for a more advanced user it’s just a bit uninspiring and stifling. I’m a bit uninspired by the presets. The interface is ok. The design overall is meant to be as simple as possible so you focus on twisting the BIG knobs to create new sounds. They hit the mark there. I created a few interesting patches but everything no matter what is pretty dub-steppy at its core. That’s okay because that’s TWISTs lane, unfortunately its not mine. However, when I mapped the knobs to my Akai MPK49, using the MPK49 arpeggiator with TWISTs Pattern Generator I had considerable amounts of fun freaking some sequences of TWIST sounds and effects combinations. Still dont expect TWIST to be a NI MASSIVE contender anytime soon.
There were many complaints that the sounds of Twist weren't up-to-date and hardly usable. Anyway, dubstep fanatics might get some use out of it...

Real wobblers are using MWobbler by Meldaproduction... :wink:
User avatar
KVRAF
 
5999 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:23 am Re: Bought Today Twist Synth for 20 bucks

Tricky-Loops wrote:There were many complaints that the sounds of Twist weren't up-to-date

That can't be bad ? :o

Everybody is trying to emulate a 40 year old synth (MiniMoog), the older sound the better it seems :D
'Beware of people who dislike cats' [Irish proverb]
User avatar
KVRAF
 
7384 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:32 am Re: Bought Today Twist Synth for 20 bucks

Numanoid wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:There were many complaints that the sounds of Twist weren't up-to-date

That can't be bad ? :o

Everybody is trying to emulate a 40 year old synth (MiniMoog), the older sound the better it seems :D
As MiniMoog emulation, I'd rather buy Monark than Twist. But Twist isn't the worst thing you can buy for 20 bucks, either...

If some people are buying Twist instead of 2 bottles of Whiskey, it's a healthful thing... :hihi:
KVRist
 
283 posts since 21 Dec, 2012

Postby MillerSam; Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:18 am Re: Bought Today Twist Synth for 20 bucks

Update:

They have a really bad Customer Support (now I have personal experience)

Made a mail on 18 of January and now we are the 24 , and no answer !!
User avatar
KVRAF
 
2297 posts since 8 Jun, 2009, from UK

Postby Gamma-UT; Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:41 am Re: SONiVox Twist for 20 Dollars

Yup. I took a gamble at 20 bucks. No answer on the supposed free upgrade to v2 from Sonivox after close to a week.

I don't have any other Sonivox stuff and based on this (v1 of the plugin is about as flexible as a block of concrete) I'm highly unlikely to take a serious look at any else they have.
No longer blank as Frank
Soundcloud
KVRist
 
197 posts since 29 May, 2012

Postby hueynym; Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:41 am Re: SONiVox Twist for 20 Dollars

Regarding the "Customer Support" issues with SONiVOX, I've had to deal with them 3 times (different products, different reps) - It's sometimes difficult for some of us in this day of instant gratification but these issues are all manually addressed. They have an automated system which acknowledges receipt of request, which states "up to 72 hour for response, not including holidays and weekends" - adding this to the fact that they also "care" for the products of EIGHT other companies, getting something in a "timely" fashion is not likely.

One installation issue I had resulted in a 14 BUSINESS day correspondence, with days in between such helpful suggestions as "what version of the OS are you running?" (which was stated in the original request) At the end of that time, *I* had figured it out and sent him a detailed description in the event that anyone else might have a similar issue.

It took 6 BUSINESS days to get the required code to purchase the software at a discount, and install another piece of software, which also had installation issues (different ones)

However, they are certainly pleasant in their attempts, and it may just have been my misfortune in these cases - but they MAY be able to help you, if you give them enough time...
KVRist
 
119 posts since 6 Jan, 2007

Postby fx1mark; Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:54 pm Re: SONiVox Twist for 20 Dollars

I got twist for 20 bucks, the sound is ok, really can't complain for the price. I sent my request for the 2.1 update on saturday, got an email monday asking for my info, received the update less than an hour later. that was my customer support experience.
I remember a while back buying something from them and I had a problem and they promptly remedied it.
I recently had gotten vocalizer for $29, (not pro) and I like it, and have already used it on some songs. I think twist came out of the vocalizer sound manipulation engine, they sound kinda similar, where vocalizer is manipulating any sound you put into it, and twist uses it's own sample set.
User avatar
KVRAF
 
5999 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:58 pm Re: SONiVox Twist for 20 Dollars

fx1mark wrote:I sent my request for the 2.1 update on saturday, got an email monday asking for my info, received the update less than an hour later. that was my customer support experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY2WIFGQttE
'Beware of people who dislike cats' [Irish proverb]
KVRist
 
226 posts since 27 May, 2012, from Vermont, USA

Postby jc_vt; Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:39 pm Re: SONiVox Twist for 20 Dollars

I too had a reasonably good interaction with their customer service when I go the upgrade to version 2.0 a few months ago. Took a few days, but they were helpful. I had the impression they supported several different companies, not just Sonivox. All told I cannot complain for $20.


fx1mark wrote:I got twist for 20 bucks, the sound is ok, really can't complain for the price. I sent my request for the 2.1 update on saturday, got an email monday asking for my info, received the update less than an hour later. that was my customer support experience.
I remember a while back buying something from them and I had a problem and they promptly remedied it.
I recently had gotten vocalizer for $29, (not pro) and I like it, and have already used it on some songs. I think twist came out of the vocalizer sound manipulation engine, they sound kinda similar, where vocalizer is manipulating any sound you put into it, and twist uses it's own sample set.
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments