Ableton MIDI Map Track Up/Track Down???

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay, I've look all over the documentation, YouTube and Google and can't find a way to map scrolling through tracks. I can assign scene up/scene down but no equivalent track up/track down. This is seems like a very odd and obvious omission to make for them. I've seen some hacky ways to do it with User Remote Scripts but a simple learn is all I need. Are you tell me there's no way to do this???

VERY strange!

frankZ00, I'm not sure I follow what you are after here.

You can easily move from track to track via the arrow keys on your keyboard. Via the "Key" command (top right corner) you can assign the scroll to specific keys if you rather.

See here for Ableton's tutorial on key mapping:
https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/qwerty- ... n-stearns/

I hope this helps you!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Well the point is I don't want to have to use my keyboard AND the controller. I can set a knob to go up and down the scenes. I'd like to also do the same for tracks on the controller and be able to play selected clip.

It doesn't seem like it should be that complicated since it can be done from the keyboard. It's just the controller is a better interface.

It may be helpful to know which controller you use. You didn't mention the use of a controller in your original post. Ask the right question and all :wink:

I use Akai APC40 and Novation Zero SLMkll. Both are mapped to follow tracks or clips at the push of a button so I know it can be done on these.

The APC40 is easier because it has a row indicated as track selection. The Zero is a bit worse because you have to look and count the button position to be sure you have the correct track.

With most controllers it is simple enough to map. Also, most controllers have a template for use with Live. I'll bet you have just overlooked the download at your manufacturers website.

BTW - I find use of the keyboard and use of the controller compliments each other. By using both I get more milage for controlling different parameters. I actually find it best to control track movement via the keyboard arrows. MMV of course.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

I have the MPD24 but I didn't consider that relevant because it's programmable. I'm only looking for a control to do Left/Right on tracks. It appears not to be native. I've found "Session Track Control" which is a Remote Script and that appears to be the way to go. Just surprising this isn't built in. But I guess they've gotta sell those Pushes and APCs....

Looking at the manual for your device it appears you cannot program the MPD24 to move between tracks via a Left/Right button. (It looks like the ones on this device are limited to internal uses).

Aside from the remote script you have found it appears the only way to move between tracks on the MPD24 is via the faders. Just touching one will cause that track to be selected. (Which I think is better than having to tab - or poke- a key repeatingly.)

However, having said this, have you set your device to preset 5? This is a Live template.

From there it may be possible to manually assign a pad or swith to do what you want.

Are you adamantly opposed to using the keyboard arrow keys previously suggested? Your next best bet is to get a controller that will give you that functionality natively (one that has enough buttons, rotaries, faders, etc. to give you the exact control you need.)

Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful. It looks though like you have solved your problem with the remote script you found.

Good luck!

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

dsan@mail.com wrote:Are you adamantly opposed to using the keyboard arrow keys previously suggested? Your next best bet is to get a controller that will give you that functionality natively (one that has enough buttons, rotaries, faders, etc. to give you the exact control you need.)
In a sense I am adamantly opposed to resorting to a keyboard only because I think it's unnecessary. Also in a performance context, it doesn't work.

I considered the APC20 and I still might but also I don't think track movement was much to ask for. Assigning to specific tracks does work but on the MPD but that's not the way I'd like to work with Ableton.

The idea of buying a separate controller to accomodate one piece of software is offputting as well. I like the idea of using the controllers I have like I do with everything else. Ableton's fairly new in my rig so I'm hesitant on a dedicated controller.

All that said, Selected Track Control works perfectly and solves this problem.

Glad to hear you were able to get it sorted frankz00 :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”