Tracktion 5 at NAMM

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bk wrote:
mfkne wrote::wheee: :wheee:

OMG.... so excited....
The best thing I got from my T4 upgrade was your "Freezer" theme, and the fact that it works on T3 as well. :hihi:

aMUSEd wrote:That and a lot more, inline midi editing, re sizable vector based interface, mode less operation - and yes Tracktion did do freeze first, it was released in 2002, the year before Logic 6.
Yeah, sounds right. I have a lot of respect for Jules and he certainly innovated in a few areas.

It's interesting, generally speaking, how we tend to treat individual developers more kindly than larger companies. I guess we can relate better to them, dunno. I mean, if not for Steinberg and VST and ASIO and all that, a lot of it wouldn't have even been possible... but people kinda hate Steinberg now. :)

But yeah, Jules has done quite a few cool and innovative things it seems.

I had Cubase 5 VST but it was awash with menus and I never knew which menu anything was in. On top of that, I really didn't need little screw heads in the corners of things to make it look like it was somehow "real" hardware. I've always preferred Bugs Bunny (and other WB) cartoons to those that try too hard (and fail) to be "realistic" by making what you see into a visual jungle. Mercifully, films like Toy Story are visually uncluttered.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Ineteresting still got a Tracktion Software - v3 - Lifetime license in the account, must have been from my mackie days. May pop a toe in and test it when launched, seems to be pricing is enticing.

bk wrote:
lfm wrote: So since updates are lifetime I might look at T5 when it's been out for a while.
Not sure what you mean here...are you thinking that since you upgraded to T4, you won't have to purchase the T5 upgrade? If so, I don't think that's the case.
It seems that you are right - Jules fooled me with this Lifetime license thingy.

Thanks for pointing that out - maybe somebody else got fooled too.

I'm not getting fooled twice, that's for sure.

I ran T1.5 NFR for free 8-9 years ago and felt it had potentional when Mackie just bought it. But 2.0 was delayed, and delayed, and....

Well, $60 is not the end of the world. T4 was not worth even that though. It was more like a v1.0 beta or something. A little sloppy way of working releasing v4 with fundamental issues - even if he just bought it back from Mackie.

This is exciting news! My first tiptoes into the world of VST etc. was with Tracktion back in 2003...

I'll be at NAMM so it will be cool to see what the fuss is about in person. And maybe meet Jules?

lfm wrote: Well, $60 is not the end of the world. T4 was not worth even that though. It was more like a v1.0 beta or something. A little sloppy way of working releasing v4 with fundamental issues - even if he just bought it back from Mackie.
I imagine T5 is built on the work done to bring T4 up to scratch - new audio engine, 64 bit compatibility, etc. They were unabashed in declaring this at the start - that T4 is just a spit and polish job, the real improvements would come with T5. Without T4 there would be no T5 - and without us paying for T4, I doubt T5 would have happened so soon.

Personally, I upgraded because for the long term commitment; frankly, $29 is not much for a host upgrade - and I suspect you'll pay $29 regardless of whether your licence is T1, T3 or T4.

Let's see what T5 brings and then make a determination on price (i.e, if you paid $60 for T4 and then $29 for T5, is this worth it?)
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

$29 dollars for T4 wasn't bad . They fixed a lot of issues from the T3 days , 64 bit , Linux version , etc etc. Those who bought it knew , there were no new features . When I bought it I had no idea how buggy it was gonna be , but it seems good now . I'm excited to see what T5 brings and if new and old users join in on the fun . I wish they would of Kickstarter Track I on and just released T4 as a free working Beta though , but maybe this worked out best for them ?

mcnelson wrote:
lfm wrote: Well, $60 is not the end of the world. T4 was not worth even that though. It was more like a v1.0 beta or something. A little sloppy way of working releasing v4 with fundamental issues - even if he just bought it back from Mackie.
I imagine T5 is built on the work done to bring T4 up to scratch - new audio engine, 64 bit compatibility, etc. They were unabashed in declaring this at the start - that T4 is just a spit and polish job, the real improvements would come with T5. Without T4 there would be no T5 - and without us paying for T4, I doubt T5 would have happened so soon.

Personally, I upgraded because for the long term commitment; frankly, $29 is not much for a host upgrade - and I suspect you'll pay $29 regardless of whether your licence is T1, T3 or T4.

Let's see what T5 brings and then make a determination on price (i.e, if you paid $60 for T4 and then $29 for T5, is this worth it?)
I saw mostly spit, no polish I'm afraid. :D

It's the JUCE crossplatform libraries that are Jules creation, if I'm not mistaken. So we were just troubleshooting this for him, in the end, and pay to do that.

When I reported Waves mono issue - that all shell plugins were mono - that was in june. Before that a guy reported the same thing two month earlier, with no attention to his report.

Import from CD crash x64 version, but just give error in 32-bit version. Rendering gave garbled sound if more than one track. Rack builder crash when trying to make multiout VST. Some of these were polished before I abandoned, but not all.

I consider all this v1.0 betatester issues - and no charge - not v4 paid release.

Some of you know what to expect....

lfm wrote:
bk wrote:
lfm wrote: So since updates are lifetime I might look at T5 when it's been out for a while.
Not sure what you mean here...are you thinking that since you upgraded to T4, you won't have to purchase the T5 upgrade? If so, I don't think that's the case.
It seems that you are right - Jules fooled me with this Lifetime license thingy.

Thanks for pointing that out - maybe somebody else got fooled too.

I'm not getting fooled twice, that's for sure.

I ran T1.5 NFR for free 8-9 years ago and felt it had potentional when Mackie just bought it. But 2.0 was delayed, and delayed, and....

Well, $60 is not the end of the world. T4 was not worth even that though. It was more like a v1.0 beta or something. A little sloppy way of working releasing v4 with fundamental issues - even if he just bought it back from Mackie.
Let me clarify: once you buy or have bought any version you will always be able to get any new version at the upgrade price. So you personally will always qualify for the the upgrade price.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Anyway, hoping Jules or one of the team might pop by.. and give us a teaser for the NAMM reveal. Just a little juicy morsel, go on guys, whet our appetites and spread a little pre-release excitement! It's good enough for Spectrasonics, Elektron, Clavia and Roland!
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

bungle wrote:Unfortunately Tracktion of old is long gone, and the proof of that is statements like "groundbreaking feature set" and the rest that will appear at the release of 5, back when it was Jules only, rubbish like that was ignored and the app just got updates on a regular basis.

With a bit of luck it will have some nice stuff from Jules hidden behind the rest of the companies hype brigade.
did you miss the last year or so? Tracktion is already back to "back when it was Jules only" although there are two other guys as well. Mackie is out of the picture, if that's what you are referring to...
and my copy of Tracktion 4 got updated a lot in the last year...

ShawnG wrote:
bungle wrote:Unfortunately Tracktion of old is long gone, and the proof of that is statements like "groundbreaking feature set" and the rest that will appear at the release of 5, back when it was Jules only, rubbish like that was ignored and the app just got updates on a regular basis.

With a bit of luck it will have some nice stuff from Jules hidden behind the rest of the companies hype brigade.
did you miss the last year or so? Tracktion is already back to "back when it was Jules only" although there are two other guys as well. Mackie is out of the picture, if that's what you are referring to...
and my copy of Tracktion 4 got updated a lot in the last year...
No, i was referring to the 'other guys' as you put it, the list of things they did wrong as soon as they got Tracktion off Mackie is rather large, and for a lot of us original T users, well it was too much.
Let's not kid around here, the Tracktion forum was the busiest place at KVR when it was just Jules (Busier than every other forum here combined) now it is a just a few stragglers that where happy to pay for beta testing, what now seems like another abandoned product (Version 4)
Like i said, hopefully we will see something innovative like the old days, but statements like "Groundbreaking feature set" actually make me think there is no chance of that.
But lets be fair again here, if they jump a whole version number for a couple of new features (Going on this new companies current rather short history) then $29 for a full version upgrade is going to become very expensive very quick with little added in value to the app itself.
Duh

Tracktion 4 certainly didn't entice me back (very happy using Ableton, which for me has that ease of use and speed of the original Tracktion) ....

But I am still interested to see what they come up with in version 5. If there is something ground breaking - or even if the programme works properly again, without some of the weird and broken features Mackie added in T3 - then it may be worth adding back into my tool set. But I somehow wonder whether some of the bad stuff added in T3 was always intended by Jules, in which case I think it just lost its way back at that point.

Time till tell, and I want to believe the best unless it proves otherwise :-)

What I would like to see in the new version:

1) Free modular audio routing as well as midi (e.g. so I can record audio from instrument tracks)
2) Modernised freeze - not one that makes the track inaccessible. Freeze should have a realtime option for plugins that need that (e.g. Virus Ti)
3) Significant improvements to plugin scanning - it needs to be faster, not hit the cpu and just update, not scan the whole folder every time
4) Better project management

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”