Which Series Does the IK British/White Channel Model?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok. It's fairly obvious that the IK British is an SSL 4000 channel strip and the White Channel is an SSl 9000 but does anybody have the skinny or care to speculate, what series they are?

There is a B button that allows you to change the character of each (I can't remember if it's just for the eq or also for the dynamics section as well). Is the default British channel an E series, and engaging the B Button changes to G series?

Same question for the White Channel. Is the default J series and does engaging change to the K series?

From what I've read, you've got it exactly right.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

b15fliptop wrote:From what I've read, you've got it exactly right.
Thanks! Must have been a lucky guess.

Could somebody please elaborate on the difference between the British and the White channel?

Only the EQ section is different, right?

Nope, input and output are different as well. Just like the original hardware, if you want to saturate the channel, the 4000 sounds great if you crank both input and output. The 9000, also like the hardware, has great input saturation, but clipping the output sounds like caca. They sound a little different in general as well, and the White Channel has the added "hold" knob on the gate. Try them both!
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

b15fliptop really knows his stuff. Everything he said about the 4k vs. the 9k is true. Mixing engineerings will often try to push the signal hotter into the 4k because often you will get what can be a pleasing saturation effect. But the 9k is meant to be a cleaner sounding console and it sounds like crud when you oversaturate the input.

The eq and compressor section also have very different characteristics. In general, the 4k has a more forward midrange that translates to a more aggressive bite. The 9k is a cleaner, more neutral sound and also tends to have a bit more bottom end that the 4k is lacking. The 4k has long been a staple in mixing engineering rooms because a lot of famous mixers created lots of hits on these consoles that are known for that forward midrange (in your face pop/rock sound). The 9k is a newer creation and is the answer for a more balanced, neutral sound with a richer bottom end that the 4k seems to lack.

Many thanks for the replies, guys.

So I will experiment a bit with comparing the two channels.

If it's wortwhile to crank the input and output of the British channel at the same time, then I guess I'll have to insert a gain plug-in afterwards, to not overload the channel or the next plug-in in the chain.

By "cranking" you mean driving it into the red?

Could only afford one, went with British, now I kinda regret that choice. Plus I spent 500 IK funbux about a month before everything went on m-m-m-megasale. Think I'd know better, haha.

Novalis wrote:Many thanks for the replies, guys.

So I will experiment a bit with comparing the two channels.

If it's wortwhile to crank the input and output of the British channel at the same time, then I guess I'll have to insert a gain plug-in afterwards, to not overload the channel or the next plug-in in the chain.

By "cranking" you mean driving it into the red?
Yes, you can max out both input and output, depending in how much saturation you want. And you'll definitely want a gain trim after it. I kind of wish they'd included a trim on the output, but oh well.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

Return to “Effects”