Yamaha FM synths as midi controllers?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My Axiom 61 looks to be on its last leg now. I started looking around at midi controllers but am just not so sure about the quality, especially of the keybeds, of most of the midi controllers on the market. For similar money, one of the older used Yamaha FM synths are pretty attractive. I really like the synth action of Yamaha's keyboards and having an FM hardware synth would be nice too, though this will be primarily used for controlling soft synths in Sonar.

I had read somewhere that on the original DX-7 the velocity range only went from 0-99, not the full 127? Is this right? If so, at what point could their keyboards output the full 0-127 range for velocity? What about DX-7 II, SY77, SY99, etc.?
thanks,
Dan

Dan_E10 wrote: I had read somewhere that on the original DX-7 the velocity range only went from 0-99, not the full 127? Is this right? If so, at what point could their keyboards output the full 0-127 range for velocity? What about DX-7 II, SY77, SY99, etc.?
thanks,
Dan
This is true on the original DX,. Go for the II or any of the SY's

Thanks for the response Bluedad. Just so I'm understanding correctly, then the velocity range of 0-99 was only an issue on the original DX-7? It was fixed for the ii and SY's?
Dan

I have used a Yamaha PSS-680 as a midi controller ... I think the PSS-480 and PSS- 780 have midi too.

:lol: Yamaha PSS-680... my first synth, or rather "synth". It's got mini-keys and drum pads and speakers. It's a toy and it's very noisy. I got rid of it at first opportunity - when I wanted to buy a real synth - Korg Wavestation SR. :hihi:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I agree it's noisy but at the time it was an affordable midi keyboard, which could also do FM bass ... if you eq alll the top end out it's no longer noisy.

:P

While the Yamaha FM synths that followed the original DX7 can handle velocity a little better, they're still not great. You can get to a max velocity of 110 in normal playing and to 120 when you beat the hell out of the keys, but nothing past that. It can be curved in software so that you can reach 127, but you'll always be missing those 7-17 points of resolution.

They're usable, but it gets frustrating after a while. I'm looking to get a Roland A-800 Pro to replace my DX, unless something good comes out at NAMM (not much chance of that, sadly...).
Last edited by bvc on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, Yamaha DXs wouldn't be my pick for midi controllers. Apart from the velocity thing, AFAIK all DXs used nrpns instead of midi CCs. Which is a pain in the arse to edit. I tried it in an old Cubase version where it was set up to be midi editor/librarian etc (far better midi stuff than present day Cubase) - I made my own editors for Junos etc easily in Cubase, but I could not get my DX to edit properly. And you also have a complete lack of knobs. There's the data sliders, but again, because they transmit and receive nrpns they're a nightmare. I think it's worth you spending the little money they cost if all you want is a midi keyboard purely for notes and velocity/pitchbend, and old Yamaha FM can make a very useful range of sounds, which is a great bonus (superb bass).

Form vague memory I think DXs are pretty slow at midi too. There was some old SoS test of midi keyboards and how quick/slow they both transmit from the key presses and the midi thru. DXs were pretty low on the list (I think I remember... :oops: ).

The suggestion of Yamaha SY series is a far better one IMO.

Yet DXs are cheap as chips...difficult to ignore...

On my DX, I can assign the data slider to any MIDI CC, and I have the +/- buttons set up for octave shifts in Logic. I think the patch buttons can be set to control stuff like program changes as well. Throw in the aftertouch, breath controller, and 3 pedal inputs, and it's actually a really good controller. It's just the velocity is a complete pain to deal with.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”