Your favourite gate/expander

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm interested in gating, I'd like to know what you prefer, and perhaps why.

Thanks.

ReaGate and the one in Variety Of Sound's preFIX. Both are very configurable, the former rather clinical and precise, the latter, as everything from him, more on the musical sounding side.

I still use the great Floorfish from time to time...even in 2014...it's just awesome :hihi:

Cheers

I am using Bootsies PreFix Gate too.

Regards
Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

http://www.eareckon.com/en/products/freebies.html

eareckon fr-gate 87
i love this gate

I hadn't really used them before, but I do like the one in Reason when used sparingly.

lazymarc wrote:http://www.eareckon.com/en/products/freebies.html

eareckon fr-gate 87
i love this gate
+100

Pro-G. Smooth as butter on voice. Easy to use and great visuals.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

wesleyt wrote:Pro-G. Smooth as butter on voice. Easy to use and great visuals.
+1
I dont use it much, but when I do, I always think that it couldnt be designed better.
GUI workflow just makes sense and looks good.
ImageImageImageImage

ReaGate is my absolute favorite (and it can use sidechains, too)! :love:

I'm using Waves C1, because I bought it when it was on special, I like it because of the expander (I use it that way 99% of the time).
I never tried Pro-G (I didn't have enough money when I bought C1 to even consider it, I may it in future if I need a different gate/expander and if I have some spare money), but it looks nice and I know FabFilter has a good reputation.

I use C1 mostly to model the tail of the sounds, in order to both expand and gate them with a single processor. I don't remember by heart the exact settings I use (I'm not on my daw right now), but I use quite extreme settings for ratio and floor, while I set the threshold so that it passes the strongest parts of the waveform without changes.

I prefer using expansion instead of gating because it sounds more natural to me to have a sound fading away instead of an on-off cutting, I prefer a smoother transition into full silence (I may otherwise leave some noise bleed through a gate, but I still prefer the result of an expander).
I use it a lot as a transient designer tool though, not just to remove noise (I mostly work itb with virtual synths, but I'm starting incorporating some hardware synths, so gating off noise is becoming an issue to me).

wesleyt wrote:Pro-G. Smooth as butter on voice. Easy to use and great visuals.
+1

Every vocal track, or anything else recorded with a mic, gets a healthy dose of Pro-G.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

The toneboosters one its nice too as most of the offerings i get excellent results with it

lazymarc wrote:http://www.eareckon.com/en/products/freebies.html

eareckon fr-gate 87
i love this gate
Amazingly, on vocal tracks this gate outperforms anything else I've got ... and it's FREE!!

Cheers,
Eddie
The future exists in all directions.

Maximus or MCompressor where you can drive any curves of gating/expanding/compressing ^^

Good visual feedback on Maximus but I'd rather prefer a bigger visual as in pro-G...

Sonalksis SV-719
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

Return to “Effects”