Reverb plugin similar to Eventide Blackhole?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I will jump on the Valhalla bandwagon here. I was looking for the same type of long, spacey reverb/echo recently. I was the last living person to discover Valhalla, and I tried the demos. I bought Ubermod, Shimmer, Room, and Vintage 2 days ago. I love the massive long decays on tap and wrote a quick email to the developer to share my excitement.
Slightly off topic, I bought Timeless 2, Bloom, and Sigmund delays as well. Timeless will do 5 second delays and totally rocks imho. A bit pricey, but quality. Bloom is also very sweet. Sigmund could have potential, but it has a HUGE CPU hit that pegs my VST meter on most program changes even when the static load is low, like 10%. Dissappointed with that. I have a pretty stonkin' machine, so I know that their code could use some refinement in terms of efficiency.

Carry on as you were...
In rotation here: Hammock- Stranded Under Endless Sky

It's a riddle to me why so many praise Valhalla-stuff…… to me their products are rather mediocre. Well, sound quality isn't the worst but their GUI design is just horrible! Say what you want but the eyes work also when working with the ears.

Listen again

Delfinoverde wrote:It's a riddle to me why so many praise Valhalla-stuff…… to me their products are rather mediocre. Well, sound quality isn't the worst but their GUI design is just horrible! Say what you want but the eyes work also when working with the ears.
It's certainly a matter of taste where the GUI is concerned but I really like the big,bold and simple layout. :love: I think the quality of these plugs when you consider the low cost is pretty astonishing really.I love redline reverb and I personally think VVV gives it a run for its money and Redline costs 3x more. But that's just my very un -trained ears of course. :wink:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

I'd say you need to stop listening with your eyes. The sonic quality of the Valhalla effects is outstanding. Whether you like the look of the interface is another matter, but I don't use them just to admire the visual aesthetics.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:…The sonic quality of the Valhalla effects is outstanding. Whether you like the look of the interface is another matter, but I don't use them just to admire the visual aesthetics.
A review/report of an independent expert would bring more light into this!
On the other hand it has been proven that visual aspects play a big role when it comes to buy & use a product! 8) From my point of view i simply expect great looking and working products, not only meant for professionals. You don't need extraordinary much money to design a good looking product, it's wrong thinking. That's possibly the reason why so many small developers underestimate or neglect the design.

..........................................................................................................................

I work in the visual arts, so I would certainly agree with this. Whether or not the Valhalla plugins are visually pleasing is very much a matter of personal taste. My personal feelings on the subject are that they leave a little room for improvement, and if I didn't have such a busy life, I just might offer to redesign them for free. But none of that sways me from utilizing their mighty sonic potential.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I am admittedly swayed by a sparkly GUI as well, which makes it all that more surprising that Valhalla got my attention. I'm most definitely not an industry expert, but they sound great to me and are easy to tweak into some less common sounds.

One thing about 2D GUI designs is that they lend themselves to resizing well with no blurring or jaggies (or resizing period). My aging eyes appreciate this. I'll gladly take these over something like sampletank (yes, old, but the worst GUI that I can think of). Likewise, I think they are laid out nicely to make them useable and easy enough to understand quickly. I'm not a fanboy, but they do make me happy.

I tried Eventide Blackhole and ValhallaShimmer and bought ValhallaShimmer...

ValhallaShimmer is awesome for extreme reverbs, not so great for anything else though. ALWAYS USE MULTIPLE INSTANCES OF SHIMMER! One after the next. That's how you do something like this:
ValhallaShimmer: https://soundcloud.com/elanhickler/valh ... -melody333

Eos is another great reverb that can sound clean and realistic, while also being flexible for long reverbs.

VRoom is really flexible, but not always as nice-sounding as Eos. But if you want giant reverbs, then you don't need "nice:"
Here's something I made with VRoom: https://soundcloud.com/elanhickler/valh ... kspacedemo

Does Vroom do what shimmer does. Never bought Shimmer because there's no presents system. wasn't last time I checked the demo anyway. I use Blackhole for the over the top supersaw EDM reverbs.

Shimmer can add crazy attack to a sound, VRoom cannot. Like, you send shimmer a clap sound, and the sound can have a long fade in time (if you set it up right, and use multiple instances) Shimmer can be layered for extra crazyness, VRoom, not so much. VRoom could not create the example above, because Shimmer can add overtomes with its "shift" knob.

Edit: But if you like VRoom, go with that, it can do a lot more than shimmer.

Wow! Nice demo of Shimmer! I'm intrigued myself too.

Shimmer and VRoom having some similarities, Sean said something about it somewhere in a Valhalla thread. Anyway, for this unnatural big spaces it's very easy to use and with my testings the difference between Eventide Blackroom was not so big.
I use it often for this artificial big rooms on leads/piano etc. Sometimes it works also great on vocals.
Here I used it on both (piano, choir)
Frank Arnold - Spacewoodoo

Nice examples Archy. 8) You reminded me that I should experiment with multiple instances of various effects. I forget about that sometimes. I did some stuff yesterday with two instances of Shimmer and got some interesting sounds.

Return to “Effects”