In need of an audio interface.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
Basically, I need an interface with 4 mic/instrument inputs. 2 for my Mininova, 1 for a dynamic mic and 1 for a condenser. I know that many interfaces have 1 phantom power switch that (if on) sends phantom power to all inputs. I'm worried that this would damage my Mininova. If not, great but if so, I would need one with one switch per 2 inputs.
The M-Audio M-Track QUAD is perfect for the job and I was a second away from buying it, until I found that it isn't compatible with OS X Mavericks. Are there any similar interfaces that are under £300?
Thanks, Oli.

Not sure about its cost in GBP, but the MOTU 4pre has phantom power per input. Four XLR, two of which are instrument-level and two are line level.

I upgraded to Mavericks last night, and it seems to work well so far; the drivers loaded fine and CueMix control of phantom owner worked. I'll do a mic test tonight and report back here.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

wesleyt wrote:Not sure about its cost in GBP, but the MOTU 4pre has phantom power per input. Four XLR, two of which are instrument-level and two are line level.

I upgraded to Mavericks last night, and it seems to work well so far; the drivers loaded fine and CueMix control of phantom owner worked. I'll do a mic test tonight and report back here.
That is exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, it's just slightly over budget. I would have to get it as a last resort but thanks for the suggestion :)

What about a well kept second hand M-Audio Firewire 1814? Shouldn't be too expensive to ship (to UK?).
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

I totally understand about the budget. Have you checked Focusrite's offerings? They make good stuff.

Btw, the 4pre works perfectly recording under Mavericks in Logic 10.0.6; I just finished testing.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

metal wrote:What about a well kept second hand M-Audio Firewire 1814? Shouldn't be too expensive to ship (to UK?).
No Mavericks support :/ Thanks though

wesleyt wrote:I totally understand about the budget. Have you checked Focusrite's offerings? They make good stuff.

Btw, the 4pre works perfectly recording under Mavericks in Logic 10.0.6; I just finished testing.
I will definitely keep the 4pre in mind for if I can't find anything cheaper. Looks like a great piece of kit. I'm looking at the Scarlett 18i8 now. Not sure how I missed this before. I was going through Focusrite's stuff for ages haha.

The Scarlett 18i8 is about $350 US though. For that price there's also the Behringer Firepower FCA1616 and the Lexicon I-O 42 (just to add to your shopping choices)

In the price range you initially suggested have you looked at the Akai EIE Pro, the FocusRite Scarlett 6i6, or the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6?

...I just recently shopped for a new interface also. :)

Keep in mind the OP is talking about Mavericks.

There are few choices right now that support that OS in that price range. And by few, I mean I cannot name even one that has what OP is looking for.

Well, it may be wise to double check with the manufacturer; I'm certainly not a Mac person.

The Behringer Firepower FCA610 ($250US - 4x8) & the Firepower FCA1616 ($350US) however state they do not require drivers on OS X (class-compliant operation). The Lexicon I-O 42 specifies OS X Version 10.4.9 or higher. FocusRite states that the Scarlett 6i6 ($215US) as well as the 18i8 ($350US) both work with OS X Mavericks. Tascam's US-366 ($185 - 2 XLR/2 RCA inputs) or the Tascam US-600 ($200US - 4 XLR / 2 RCA inputs) have Mavericks drivers in the products' download sections. Even the legacy Roland FA-66 is Mavericks compatible with their new drivers. I'm sure new drivers are rolling out all the time.

Found an interesting article on sweetwater which is keeping tabs on Mavericks compatiblity:
http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art ... formation/

I'd start with the number and types of inputs/outputs desired. Then compare cost, your sample rate desires, signal-to-noise ratios, etc. Then see if they have new drivers available for download and if anyone's bitching about issues in their forums. Bundled software may be the only disappointment, if you really care.

Check out NI Komplete Audio 6 ...

Phantom power shouldn't do any harm, I have it on while also using a guitar in another input, of course plugging in a 1/4" cable simply does not access the phantom power that can only go on the XLR.

If the Mininova is a hardware synth, that should be a 1/4" hookup as well.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Steinberg ur44 (for me the best budget interfaces).
dedication to flying

Steinberg ur44 (for me the best budget interfaces).
+1 (read rewiews about the smaller one UR22)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”