What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Midi Latency

Anything about hardware musical instruments.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

User avatar
UltimateOutsider
KVRist
 
352 posts since 4 Oct, 2009, from Portland, OR

Postby UltimateOutsider; Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:14 pm Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Midi Latency

vignesh.vijay wrote:Will reducing the buffer size reduce the quality of output ?
For example , if I have a grand piano midi track , if I reduce the buffer size , will the quality of grand piano go down ?

It doesn't reduce the quality of audio per se, but it does increase the chance of pops and drops in the audio stream due to the buffers getting exhausted too early. Most folks go for the lowest buffer size that doesn't result in those obvious glitches. (I have a Scarlett 2i2, and the lowest buffer setting I can use with it on USB 2.0 is 89 samples at 44.1kHz, and 133 samples on USB 3.0. Its control panel doesn't have the standard "powers of two" selector like most interfaces do. Your own results may vary depending on your computer, your USB bus, and your sample rate.)

The entry-level Scarletts (the 2i2 and 2i4) have probably the worst round-trip latency on the market. BUT that's not necessarily a problem if direct monitoring works for you. To use direct monitoring, make sure that track monitoring on the track you're trying to record is set to OFF, and then set the Scarlett's Direct Monitor switch to ON. You will hear what you're playing or singing in time with the rest of the music while it's being recorded.

Direct Monitoring isn't always feasible, depending on your needs (for example, if you're a vocalist who sings best with effects applied at record time), but give it a shot if you haven't already.
vignesh.vijay
KVRist
 
203 posts since 18 Jun, 2013

Postby vignesh.vijay; Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:00 pm Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Midi Latency

rockstar_not wrote:Buffer size has nothing to do with the audio quality of the samples being used, but rather the amount of memory that is used as a 'holding tank' of sorts while audio is being processed. You should generally make the buffer size as small as possible, without 'crackling' and/or dropouts in the playback.

With as much power as you have with your PC, you can probably get the latency down to just a few milliseconds by reducing the buffer size.

Here are some good articles on the topic: http://www.izotope.com/support/portal/i ... _important
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep10/a ... 0910-2.htm



Thanks for the explanation . Now I get it ..
How many milliseconds of latency is ideal ?
Now I have an input latency of 13.2
and output latency of 18.2
and buffer length is 5 ms
please find the image below for more info :
http://postimg.org/image/8x7ehqk5l/

How much should those values be ?
vignesh.vijay
KVRist
 
203 posts since 18 Jun, 2013

Postby vignesh.vijay; Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:17 am Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Midi Latency

bump bump
vignesh.vijay
KVRist
 
203 posts since 18 Jun, 2013

Postby vignesh.vijay; Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:21 pm Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Midi Latency

bump
User avatar
phreaque
KVRist
 
339 posts since 16 Jul, 2007, from Baghdad-Iq

Postby phreaque; Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:08 pm Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Midi Latency

vignesh.vijay wrote:Thanks for the explanation . Now I get it ..
How many milliseconds of latency is ideal ?
Now I have an input latency of 13.2
and output latency of 18.2
and buffer length is 5 ms
please find the image below for more info :
http://postimg.org/image/8x7ehqk5l/

How much should those values be ?


Mate I will help you, the guys here posted about different thing which is about (Audio signal latency) you are not suffering from it since you set it to normal level somehow. Your issue it about (Midi latency) of the second hardware. I have the same audio card and the same issue happened with me when I connected the MicroKorg to Scarellet's Midi ports..
But when I linked the MicroKorg with UX-16 (Yamaha USB-Midi interface) the issue solved..

Why I got latency in the first setup, well it because I did mistake which is:

1. I used it on Acer laptop with non reliable USB ports (it is common issue).
2. The Scarellet audio card were connected through USB2.0 Hub (which is a bad idea).
3. The USB cable was too long (2 meters) it should be 1 meter or even less.

I will try to fix that all and reconnect the keyboard to the audio card and check the result...
Phreaque Modi
vignesh.vijay
KVRist
 
203 posts since 18 Jun, 2013

Postby vignesh.vijay; Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:11 pm Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Midi Latency

phreaque wrote:Mate I will help you, the guys here posted about different thing which is about (Audio signal latency) you are not suffering from it since you set it to normal level somehow. Your issue it about (Midi latency) of the second hardware. I have the same audio card and the same issue happened with me when I connected the MicroKorg to Scarellet's Midi ports..
But when I linked the MicroKorg with UX-16 (Yamaha USB-Midi interface) the issue solved..

Why I got latency in the first setup, well it because I did mistake which is:

1. I used it on Acer laptop with non reliable USB ports (it is common issue).
2. The Scarellet audio card were connected through USB2.0 Hub (which is a bad idea).
3. The USB cable was too long (2 meters) it should be 1 meter or even less.

I will try to fix that all and reconnect the keyboard to the audio card and check the result...


So you did not connect your midi keyboard to Scarlett 2i4 ?
you connected it directly to the computer through a midi USB cable ?

I use midi wires to connect my midi keyboard to the audio interface ( Scarlett 2i4 )
User avatar
phreaque
KVRist
 
339 posts since 16 Jul, 2007, from Baghdad-Iq

Postby phreaque; Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:19 pm Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Midi Latency

vignesh.vijay wrote:So you did not connect your midi keyboard to Scarlett 2i4 ?
you connected it directly to the computer through a midi USB cable ?

I use midi wires to connect my midi keyboard to the audio interface ( Scarlett 2i4 )


Yes mate I did so... And sorry I typed Scarlett wrong :? But tell me:
Are You:
1. Using long cable?
2. USB Hub?
3. Laptop? Which brand?
And do you have a high speed transferring external HD connected too? It affects btw!
Also.. Make sure to do this trick (Steinberg recommends it):
Right click your computer icon =>Properties=>Advanced System Settings => choose (Advanced) tab=>Performance "Settings" => Advanced tab again => Choose Background Services.
That will make the CPU to handle & focus much more on the tasks in the background such as (Midi & audio data transferring).
Phreaque Modi
User avatar
phreaque
KVRist
 
339 posts since 16 Jul, 2007, from Baghdad-Iq

Postby phreaque; Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:12 am Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Midi Latency

Hi,
Sitting right now and gigging with MicroKorg connected via Midi to Scarlett 2i4 which is connected directly to USB port of the laptop and I have no any Midi latency :D
Phreaque Modi
vignesh.vijay
KVRist
 
203 posts since 18 Jun, 2013

Postby vignesh.vijay; Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:26 am Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Midi Latency

phreaque wrote:Hi,
Sitting right now and gigging with MicroKorg connected via Midi to Scarlett 2i4 which is connected directly to USB port of the laptop and I have no any Midi latency :D


Can you please send me a screenshot of ur control panel of your audio driver ?
vignesh.vijay
KVRist
 
203 posts since 18 Jun, 2013

Postby vignesh.vijay; Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:33 am Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Midi Latency

phreaque wrote:


Are You:
1. Using long cable?
2. USB Hub?
3. Laptop? Which brand?
And do you have a high speed transferring external HD connected too? It affects btw!
Also.. Make sure to do this trick (Steinberg recommends it):
Right click your computer icon =>Properties=>Advanced System Settings => choose (Advanced) tab=>Performance "Settings" => Advanced tab again => Choose Background Services.
That will make the CPU to handle & focus much more on the tasks in the background such as (Midi & audio data transferring).


Please find my responses in red

1. Using long cable?
No the cable is very short ( about 5 ft )
2. USB Hub?
I do use a USB hub but I only connect external hard drives to
3. Laptop? Which brand?
Lenovo IdeaPad Z710 Laptop - 59400486 - Black
And do you have a high speed transferring external HD connected too? It affects btw!

I do have 3 external hard drives just to store my libraries and they are connected through a USB hub . They are not connected to the same port as the audio interface .
User avatar
phreaque
KVRist
 
339 posts since 16 Jul, 2007, from Baghdad-Iq

Postby phreaque; Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:52 am Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Midi Latency

vignesh.vijay wrote:
phreaque wrote:Hi,
Sitting right now and gigging with MicroKorg connected via Midi to Scarlett 2i4 which is connected directly to USB port of the laptop and I have no any Midi latency :D


Can you please send me a screenshot of ur control panel of your audio driver ?

Image

And I believe the way to connect such high priority processing device is better to be directly to a dedicated USB port... Do so mate..
Phreaque Modi
vignesh.vijay
KVRist
 
203 posts since 18 Jun, 2013

Postby vignesh.vijay; Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:58 am Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Midi Latency

phreaque wrote:
vignesh.vijay wrote:
phreaque wrote:Hi,
Sitting right now and gigging with MicroKorg connected via Midi to Scarlett 2i4 which is connected directly to USB port of the laptop and I have no any Midi latency :D


Can you please send me a screenshot of ur control panel of your audio driver ?

Image

And I believe the way to connect such high priority processing device is better to be directly to a dedicated USB port... Do so mate..


I have connected my audio interface directly ..
I use my USB hub only for the exteernal hard drives
vignesh.vijay
KVRist
 
203 posts since 18 Jun, 2013

Postby vignesh.vijay; Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:41 am Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Midi Latency

bump
User avatar
phreaque
KVRist
 
339 posts since 16 Jul, 2007, from Baghdad-Iq

Postby phreaque; Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:07 am Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Midi Latency

vignesh.vijay wrote:bump

Does that mean your problem not solved yet?
Phreaque Modi
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)