The All In One Source Bitwig Information & Speculation Thread

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

Two months; I dunno if I can hack it. Maybe if I send them a cake or something they will let me in the beta...

Thomas, you know everything, what kind of cake do they like? :hihi:

Calico.

hibidy wrote:Uh oh!

I'll straddle the fence with that and say that a) if someone thinks it's too much, they have the right to say so b) you do have a bit of a point.

So there, that outta get me into plenty of trouble :hihi:
Yep Indeed...he has the right to think it's too expensive,but I also have the right to think that his thoughts are unreasonable,unrealistic,illogical and just plain silly.

If one insists on complaining about the price,one should at least explain why they think it's too expensive.
My guess is,that his type complain about price,simply because their budget is at poverty-level and if that's the case & they are in dire need of something outside their budget,then they need to change their financial situation to fit the price tag.

Simply stating that a DAW is too expensive,implies that the DAW's quality is insufficient for the price and in consideration of what Bitwig is offering,such complaints are an insult to the company.

If budget pricing is an individual's top priority,then there is a myriad of DAW's to suit every budget.

I can't go that far. Pretty extreme imho.

Maybe people should make the distinction between "too expensive" relative to the speakers individual budget, and "too expensive" relative to other similar products on the market.

I think any rational analysis will show that BW is not the latter.

Well, not all of us are born with silver spoons in the mouth.

My guess would be that if someone states "too expensive" that's exactly what it is to them. To me it implies a budget issue but that covers a lot of ground too.

I know some people that are certainly not "poverty-level" and will find the price "too expensive". So not that they cannot afford it but they don't want to spend the money.

And they would certainly not need to explain their reasons to me. I get it.

Happy Musiking!
dsan

Two years with no payday, two years with 18 to 20 hour days. A hell of a lot of risk, a hell of a target to reach thanks to the hype by cat lovers (and cat haters ... {you mean gits}).
I think they can charge what they like.
Sales figures will determine whether the gamble pays off.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Personally I think its too much just for the crowd they are trying to reach, barring a different intro or crossgrade price. This is a V1 daw competing for people who want/like something like ableton. At 400 I believe they are going to have a tough time converting existing ableton users, while they may want some of the features its already lacking things ableton has had for a while now. So those users are more likely to hold out until its more feature complete, i.e. whenever they do a release with group tracks. That will also give the users a good idea of how long it takes them to implement features. Besides those users already have >400$ invested in their existing daw.

For users who have always wanted something like ableton but never got along with it, maybe its for them, but I guess the demo will tell all. Thats when you get to the 400$ for a v1, when you compare it to alot of other hosts out there your going to end up lacking in things that by comparison ableton and most other daws already have. Just another case where the users may hold out for v1.5-2.

Again, IMHO, 200$ is the sweet spot for a brand new V1 daw looking to steal users from other established daws as thats the point it becomes more of a no brainer. Especially when promising other things are coming down the pipeline. At 200 a user is probably also more willing to wade through the inevitable bug releases that will probably come fast and furious. Maybe they could do a price increase at v2 when it becomes more comparable to whats out there :shrug:

Thats just the way I see it. Nothing against them and I hope they do well. Im sure Ill buy it when it hits the ~200$ point during some winter/BF/christmas sale

The price is just right IMO. First, it's very difficult to increase the price at a later date e.g. in a years time when v1.5 or v2.0 is released. The initial price also sets a kind of expectation - this product is a serious product that will be maintained in the future.

I think it's far more interesting that there will be a boxed product available to purchase in stores / online ... in 2014, when everything is digital. Bricks n mortar seems so last century ;)

edit - but I suppose they have to make themselves known in the same space as other established brands such as Steinberg / Cubase / Ableton, and that requires shelf space.

Peace,
Andy.
Last edited by ZenPunkHippy on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
... space is the place ...

I'll agree that 200-250 is more of a no-brainer range in pricing, but... I don't agree that people won't buy it at 400. If people want it they will find the money.

The Mantra wrote:Maybe people should make the distinction between "too expensive" relative to the speakers individual budget, and "too expensive" relative to other similar products on the market.

I think any rational analysis will show that BW is not the latter.
Agreed. Just because someone thinks it's too expensive doesn't mean they need a second job ;) I guess I'm a bit off the fence now? :hihi:

I just found the official bitwig release in my inbox:
Greetings from the NAMM show!

We are very happy to announce that Bitwig Studio will be released on March 26th, 2014!

We're attending the NAMM show in Anaheim, CA this week, where we’re showing Bitwig Studio in action together with the Nektar Panorama P4, Livid Instruments Base Controller, and the Novation Launchpad. If you happen to be at NAMM, please visit us at booth 5000, Hall C!

Check out the full press release here.

Pricing and availability

As of March 26, 2014, Bitwig Studio will be available both from selected stores worldwide as boxed version, as well as online at http://www.bitwig.com as download. There will also be a demo version of Bitwig Studio available at the release so that everyone can try it out firsthand!

Box: USD 399.99 / 329 EUR
Download: USD 399 / 299 EUR
Further news on pricing in other territories and currencies will be available closer to the release.

All the best from the Bitwig Team
And the text from their site's news item:
Press Release: Release Date Announcement
BITWIG GmbH is proud to announce the launch of BITWIG STUDIO: March 26th, 2014.

BITWIG STUDIO is a new and innovative music creation, recording, and performance software that supports all three major computing platforms: Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. Combining traditional arrangement sequencing with modern performance-oriented clip launching workflows,

BITWIG STUDIO is the ultimate solution for realizing all your musical ideas across every stage of production.

BITWIG STUDIO offers a state-of-the-art audio engine under the hood, with full multi-processing support, a unified
modulation system, 32/64-bit VST plugin bridging, and VST plugin crash protection.

BITWIG STUDIO comes with over 50 included devices. Conventional Instruments (Polysynth, FM-4, Organ, Sampler
and analog-style Drum Modules) and FX (Delays, Equalizers, Compressors), as well as Container devices (to build
parallel instrument or effect chains), Note FX, and Modulator devices (additional controllers like LFOs, envelope followers
and step sequencers for modulating any other device). Extend this collection with your favorite VST effects and instruments, and use them side by side with BITWIG STUDIO internal devices.

KEY FEATURES

Cross-platform DAW (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux)
Intuitive non-linear sequencing for the studio and beyond
Full multi-core and multi-processor support
VST 2.4 support with built-in 32/64-bit bridging and plug-in crash protection
Proprietary time-stretching technology
Multi-display support for up to 3 displays
Tabbed document interface for multiple projects open at once with drag-and-drop between them
Over 50 included devices, including conventional Instruments (Polysynth, FM-4, Organ,
Sampler and analog-style Drum Modules) and FX (Delays, Equalizers, Compressors), as well as Container devices (to build parallel instrument or effect chains), Note FX, and Modulator devices (additional controllers like LFOs and step sequencers for modulating any other device).
Unified Modulation System: Use Macro Controls, Note Expressions, LFOs, and Envelope Followers to modulate any device parameter, including nested internal devices and even VST plug-ins
Advanced layered editing
Note and Audio expressions, including per-note Micro-Pitch Control
Dynamic Object Inspector: Select multiple notes or events and edit them together with the interactive parameter histogram, easily adding variations as you go
Automatic sample slicing to both Sampler or Drum Machine
Multiple audio events per clip: Automatically cut up samples and rearrange them on the fly in the Detail Editor
Dedicated Device Panel Mappings with color-coded knobs and buttons for an overview at a glance
Support for various MIDI controllers out of the box
Sound Content: Over one thousand presets and sounds, 3 GB of factory content:
Drum Machines (808, 909... Percussion), Acoustic Drums, multi-sampled instruments like Wurlitzer,
Rhodes, Vibraphone, Marimba, Acoustic and Electric Bass, Sampled Drum and Instrument loops,
Various Sound FX, and additional partner content
Open Controller API: Create and customize functionality for virtually any MIDI controller, including scripting access to nearly every feature of BITWIG STUDIO
BITWIG STUDIO (boxed version) will be available from selected retailers worldwide and from Bitwig.com.

A free demo version will be available for download upon launch at http://www.bitwig.com.

Box: USD 399.99 MAP, 329 EUR including VAT
Download: USD 399 / 299 EUR
Nothing new really but a nice summary for those who might haved missed something. 3 gigs of factory content, and 3 monitor supported, that's interesting. I guess that makes sense since you have the 3 main views that you can select between so you could have one on each monitor.

hibidy wrote:Agreed. Just because someone thinks it's too expensive doesn't mean they need a second job ;) I guess I'm a bit off the fence now? :hihi:
Yeah. "Expensive" is a relative term. While $400 is a lot of money to a lot of people, to a lot of other people, regular working people, it's not that big a deal. The debates about it are due to (like the guy said) not qualifying it.

We all love expensive toys. IPhones and other crap we really don't actually even need. :hihi:

Yeah, I thought it was a little rough.......but then again.....it's not like I've never exceeded design specifications :hihi:

Yeah, 400 bucks is a ton of cash. Even for people that can afford it ;)

I wonder how much upgrades will be.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”