NI Massive is...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently rediscovered it, and now it's a go to when I want sounds that are expressly digital...cold pads, certain basses, etc.

I was hoping Synthmaster would fit that niche, but ultimately I just don't vibe with the GUI and the workflow.

I didn't get into it until I heard the xenos patches.

Gadget Fiend wrote:Every demo I have heard that supposedly shows off Massive's "hidden" warmth just confirms that it is one cold, lifeless corpse. :-)
:D
No auto tune...

3ee wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:It's the one synth in my collection which I haven't touched in years, I don't even know why I still keep it.
You probably got it/keep it to make a patch bank. I know I did :hihi: + I'm feeling like Massive 2 will make it's appearance in the future, hopefully this year since NI also know it's a big hit.

Will identify what Massive's really good at to try making a nice patch bank, and use the selected favorites to play and use in my music... So, Massive's looking good for me atm! :)
No, I think I kept it to be able to open some old soundtrack projects where I actually used it, but I wouldn't make a soundset for it, after all there are about 23 gazilion trillion Banks out there for Massive.

Sampleconstruct wrote:... but I wouldn't make a soundset for it, after all there are about 23 gazilion trillion Banks out there for Massive.
Yes, but there is always room for a niche.. ;)
A good idea can lead to great fun for you and all the people getting the bank.

3ee wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:... but I wouldn't make a soundset for it, after all there are about 23 gazilion trillion Banks out there for Massive.
Yes, but there is always room for a niche.. ;)
A good idea can lead to great fun for you and all the people getting the bank.
Maybe you're right...

And 22 gazillion trillion of them are for EDM.
:hihi:

BBFG# wrote:
And 22 gazillion trillion of them are for EDM.
:hihi:
At least :wink:

Gadget Fiend wrote:But it doesn't change the fact that no matter how great the UI and workflow, the sound is really thin and sterile.
I don't think the word "fact' means what you think it means...

The first characteristics I think of when considering a use for Massive is 'flat and buzzy'. Any 'thickness' I hear from it is more like a layering in laminates than body. I'm trying really hard to not let that become a cold hard fact of my perception that could keep me from ever using it.

BBFG# wrote:The first characteristics I think of when considering a use for Massive is 'flat and buzzy'.
It's very revealing when you take the FX off the programs in Massive...

That's when you can hear all of the aliasing as well...

There's nothing quite like a lot of cream and chocolate to disguise a very ordinary cake...

But then I imagine that it would be hard to sell a soft synth called "Limp" :wink:
No auto tune...

3ee wrote:..pretty cool actually! (from today's sound designer point of view)

OK there probably are more things what I like and dislike about Massive but I'm sure happy I got it, for me is't one of those synths that you get and like it more and more as you go along.

How about you? What synth did you get "for the sake of it" and ended up as a pleasant investment/surprise? :)

I think it really has to do with the presets.
Originally, I really didn't have much use for Massive, didn't appeal to my personal taste.
I heard some examples from, "The Muse for Massive" and picked up a copy.
Finding it more useful now.

Here are a few from, "The Muse":
https://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-pa ... e-muse-for
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Massive is...
Definitely my #1 guilty pleasure.
I even make 'dutty wobblez' with it sometimes.. :oops:
ImageImageImageImage

3ee wrote:How about you? What synth did you get "for the sake of it" and ended up as a pleasant investment/surprise? :)
Somehow, I only caught the 'Massive' discourse of this thread. I had no idea it was chance to generate another KVR list! :wink:

Since I have a bundle disorder, I have many and a few of them have become nice surprises. Most of them are effectively NFR unless I want to off the whole bundle (which the price of rebuying just what I wanted would make it a senseless and costly act in futility). So for the sake of buying the bundle at some reduced price, I've found some other gems such as; one from Tone2; two from AAS; two from Sonar; three from NI-K9U; three from KLC.
And although I didn't need it by any stretch of jusitification, Iris, which has been something I really enjoy working with a lot these days.

So yeah, Massive gets pushed pretty far down the list right now, but I'm not counting it out as abandonware yet.

When I picked up Massive many years ago, it wasn't to do warm, furry analog pads and Moogy basses - just like, back in 1984, you wouldn't have picked up a PPG Wave and expected it to stand in for an OB-Xa and a Minimoog. Massive fascinated me because it was a wavetable scanning synth - sort of a PPG on steroids. That's how I approached it and used it. For more analog-like sounds, there are other tools.
http://www.davidvector.com
New album, Chasing Fire, out now on Amazon, iTunes, etc.
Bandcamp: https://davidvector.bandcamp.com/releases

Return to “Instruments”