What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

synths that can read other synth patches...

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

jeffb01
KVRian

599 posts since 17 Apr, 2006

Postby jeffb01; Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:12 pm synths that can read other synth patches...

putting out some thoughts:

1. I know NI FM7 could read DX7 patches. It seems like a cool idea. What other synths that can read a different synth's patches?

2. I would think, while it wouldn't be easy, that some synths should try to import other patches. It obviously wouldn't be exact - but think of all the patches for the virus a,b,c and they're in .mid format or all the patches in massive format. I'm surprised someone doesn't make a synth or translator to load them into a 3rd party synth.

my thoughts of the day. what do you think?
Urs
u-he

17087 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:34 pm Re: synths that can read other synth patches...

I was thinking of an importer for various synths into Zebra, but scrapped it because it might piss someone off.

Technically and legally nothing speaks against it, i.e. a preset creator can't forbid you to load his preset into any synth you want. Neither can a synth creator forbid another to reverse engineer and load his preset format.

Yet, on a social level, I think it's a can of worms best left unopened.
jeffb01
KVRian

599 posts since 17 Apr, 2006

Postby jeffb01; Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:16 pm Re: synths that can read other synth patches...

I was actually thinking zebra would be one of the more capable synths (due to its flexible nature, among other things) to import 3rd party patches.

I totally understand why you wouldn't want to open that can of worms, though I think that would be an excellent start-up for a young entrepreneur with some programming skills.
BBFG#
KVRAF

3251 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:21 pm Re: synths that can read other synth patches...

Sounds like an iOS app... synthify... automatically hears a patch and programs your synth to match it.
evilantal
KVRist

130 posts since 13 Mar, 2008, from Arnhem, Netherlands

Postby evilantal; Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:42 pm Re: synths that can read other synth patches...

Synth1 and discoDSP Discovery can both read Nord Lead 1/2 presets...
crimsonwarlock
KVRAF

1561 posts since 17 Apr, 2001, from At the boundaries of time

Postby crimsonwarlock; Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:45 pm Re: synths that can read other synth patches...

jeffb01 wrote:1. I know NI FM7 could read DX7 patches. It seems like a cool idea. What other synths that can read a different synth's patches?

the ones that come to mind are SQ8L and Discovery.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin

Using: Reaper and loads of freeware plugins
mridlen
KVRist

190 posts since 2 Oct, 2012

Postby mridlen; Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:07 pm Re: synths that can read other synth patches...

Hexter can load DX7 patches as well

VOPM can load Sega Genesis patches
breakmixer
KVRAF

4170 posts since 14 Nov, 2008, from UK

Postby breakmixer; Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:31 pm Re: synths that can read other synth patches...

I think FM Heaven can both load TX81Z and DX7 patches, cannot remember - it is not installed currently.
UncleAge
KVRian

1312 posts since 11 Jun, 2005, from Phoenix, Arizona

Postby UncleAge; Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:50 pm Re: synths that can read other synth patches...

Urs wrote:Yet, on a social level, I think it's a can of worms best left unopened.

I started a converter about a year ago and stopped for that same reason.
Kriminal
KVRAF

18411 posts since 1 Oct, 2001, from England

Postby Kriminal; Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:57 pm Re: synths that can read other synth patches...

Urs wrote:
Technically and legally nothing speaks against it, i.e. a preset creator can't forbid you to load his preset into any synth you want.

Of course he can, thats what EULA is for.
Kriminal
KVRAF

18411 posts since 1 Oct, 2001, from England

Postby Kriminal; Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:58 pm Re: synths that can read other synth patches...

UncleAge wrote:
Urs wrote:Yet, on a social level, I think it's a can of worms best left unopened.

I started a converter about a year ago and stopped for that same reason.

Whats the point, its unlikely they will sound the same.
Urs
u-he

17087 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:04 pm Re: synths that can read other synth patches...

Kriminal wrote:
Urs wrote:
Technically and legally nothing speaks against it, i.e. a preset creator can't forbid you to load his preset into any synth you want.

Sorry but no, they can't. Various court decisions were made in this topic. A synth patch is a document, and while the file itself is copyrighted, the use of the file can't be - that is, the user can do with it whatever he wants. On top of that, file formats can not be copyrighted and thus reverse engineering is generally allowed. EULAs can't change that.
glokraw
KVRAF

5099 posts since 6 Oct, 2004

Postby glokraw; Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:20 am Re: synths that can read other synth patches...

I doubt any worms would object to Zebra importing
ancient but golden DX7 sysex files. The sound designers are probably
old enough to be sharing territory with the worms by now anyway :wink:
Sysex banks are a pleasure to use with linux Hexter.
A light ZebraCM/Zebralette style version supporting them might sell quite well.
Cheers
vurt
addled muppet weed

33535 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:32 am Re: synths that can read other synth patches...

Urs wrote:I was thinking of an importer for various synths into Zebra, but scrapped it because it might piss someone off.

Technically and legally nothing speaks against it, i.e. a preset creator can't forbid you to load his preset into any synth you want. Neither can a synth creator forbid another to reverse engineer and load his preset format.

Yet, on a social level, I think it's a can of worms best left unopened.

do it and ill release it
i dont care who i piss off hehe
vurt
addled muppet weed

33535 posts since 25 Jan, 2003, from through the looking glass

Postby vurt; Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:35 am Re: synths that can read other synth patches...

Kriminal wrote:
Urs wrote:

no that just stops me loading a bank from synth a into synth b and releasing it as my own work.
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments