Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

fluffy_little_something wrote:I am not so sure. Initially I used it mainly in Mulab, same thing, 15 to 20% in idle mode. But in Mixcraft, Mixcraft plus one idle instance plus Chrome with two tabs are just 4%, despite having switched from a 44k (Mulab) to a 96k (Mixcraft) sample rate. Seems to depend a lot on the DAW. Check the meters in Windows Task Manager, they are more reliable.
It does it with Cantabile 1.2 and SaviHost/VstHost, havent checked in anything else so far. If I open the GUI there is an extra 2% CPU consumed by a JUCEWindow thread which I find is a lot too for just displaying an idle UI.

eidenk wrote: It does it with Cantabile 1.2 and SaviHost/VstHost, havent checked in anything else so far. If I open the GUI there is an extra 2% CPU consumed by a JUCEWindow thread which I find is a lot too for just displaying an idle UI.
With my core 2 duo there is no difference with or without GUI. Its about 9% of one core with ASIO4ALL driver (104 samples). I think this is OK for 8 voice synth.Of course cpu load depends on settings. Most hungry are : saw+pulse for both oscs + HQ + 24dB.

albertodream wrote:
Ingonator wrote: Please tell if you are interested in my offer and if you allow to include your patches.
If you like you could also contact me by PM.
Of course, you can use my patches as you want :tu:

But I like the sound of the OBXD so much that probably I would end making a full bank of 128 new patches :D
Hi,

thanks to you, Fernando and Breeze which already replied. Also added the new patch of fluffy to the collection and finished creating single patch files of all banks including that from Fernando (as already mentioned with MiniHost the single patches could be exported automatically). Maybe i'll try to publish a first version of the collected patches today including the current version of my own ones but i could not promise it.

I'll also send a copy to 2DaT by PM in case he missed it here. Those who change their mind and don't want their patches included in the collection could note that and i'll remove the patches. I'll not sort out any patches, just sort them into folders (+ create single patch files) and collect in a single (or more) banks (sorted by sound designer and then alphabetically).

PS:
I had done a very Lush Strings sound inspired by the Polysix (but done with 2 Oscs instead) and have checked with the Polysix Ensemble FX in the Korg MDE-X Multi-FX plugin. Sounds just awesome. The resulting sound with TAL Chorus-LX is comparable but still a bit different.

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

2DaT wrote:With my core 2 duo there is no difference with or without GUI. Its about 9% of one core with ASIO4ALL driver (104 samples). I think this is OK for 8 voice synth.Of course cpu load depends on settings. Most hungry are : saw+pulse for both oscs + HQ + 24dB.
Oh well, if you think that 10 idle instances of a softsynth saturating an entire core is OK, what more can I say?

:?

eidenk wrote:
2DaT wrote:With my core 2 duo there is no difference with or without GUI. Its about 9% of one core with ASIO4ALL driver (104 samples). I think this is OK for 8 voice synth.Of course cpu load depends on settings. Most hungry are : saw+pulse for both oscs + HQ + 24dB.
Oh well, if you think that 10 idle instances of a softsynth saturating an entire core is OK, what more can I say?

I actually plan to improve idle cpu consumance anyway, just dont know to do it propertly yet :) The point is to keep natural phasing, portamento and filter behaviour for silent voices, so all voices processed simultaneously. Need to do some bugfixes rather that improvements :D .

Uploaded new version (possibly unstable - need checking).
Less cpu spikes. Possibly less gui bugs. Corrected filter resonance damping at different sample rates (nothing changed @ 44kHz).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/jye ... /Obxd2.zip

eidenk wrote:

Unless you want to play a synth piano, try reducing the number of voices on the drop-down menu to, say, three, that should cut the CPU load considerably.

Hi to all,

I just read this thread from the beginning and tried this fabulous synth in his early days as it was a really cpu-hog and absolutely useless.
Now it is in the hall of kings and I want to thank 2dat for his hard, relentless but successfully work and layzer for his wonderful and sophisticated GUI.

Some good people made really good sounds in the manner of Oberheim and I want to say thanks too. It is long ago since I have posted any of my soundbanks, but for this synth I have fiddled for an hour.
So, here is my little contribution for this and KVRians.
Surely it will be a full bank when the next weekend opens the door. So this will be for now.......

Kujashi OBXD Bank.fxb

Bye
Kujashi

2DaT wrote:Uploaded new version (possibly unstable - need checking).
Less cpu spikes. Possibly less gui bugs. Corrected filter resonance damping at different sample rates (nothing changed @ 44kHz).
2DaT: you have to be very careful now with the updates!! I renamed the previous release "Obxd1.dll" and added the new dll so I could compare and right off the bat it seems the "Spread" parameter in the newer version isn't doing the same thing as with the older build; this is particularly obvious if you put both at 12 o'clock where the older seems to have a wider range of random detuning than the newer.

At this point I would recommend very careful changes in the sound quality of the synth. Experience is making me keep ALL the Obxd dll's from now on... ;)
Last edited by Breeze on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schiffbauer wrote:Some good people made really good sounds in the manner of Oberheim and I want to say thanks too. It is long ago since I have posted any of my soundbanks, but for this synth I have fiddled for an hour.
So, here is my little contribution for this and KVRians.
Surely it will be a full bank when the next weekend opens the door. So this will be for now.......

Kujashi
Thanks Kujashi! Just a note to everyone making patches: I made an effort to balance my patches to roughly -3dB peak and without overload when playing 5-8 notes in poly. The softer ones I maxed out as much as I could. I would recommend others to do the same simply because it makes for a more enjoyable auditioning experience. Just a suggestion... leave the loudness war to production. ;)

Breeze wrote:
2DaT wrote:Uploaded new version (possibly unstable - need checking).
2DaT: you have to be very careful now with the updates!! I renamed the previous release "Obxd1.dll" and added the new dll so I could compare and right off the bat it seems the "Spread" parameter in the newer version isn't doing the same thing as with the older build; this is particularly obvious if you put both at 12 o'clock where the older seems to have a wider range of random detuning than the newer.

At this point I would recommend very careful changes in the sound quality of the synth. Experience is making me keep ALL the Obxd dll's from now on... ;)
Damn :!:
Several of my patches use the spread for a very precise timbre effect, so this may affect them hardly :( I'll have to check that.
Fernando (FMR)

Breeze wrote:Thanks Kujashi! Just a note to everyone making patches: I made an effort to balance my patches to roughly -3dB peak and without overload when playing 5-8 notes in poly. The softer ones I maxed out as much as I could. I would recommend others to do the same simply because it makes for a more enjoyable auditioning experience. Just a suggestion... leave the loudness war to production. ;)
I never really know which volume is right. The same patch shows different volume in my two DAWs. I remember doing some patches for another synth some time ago and someone said he hardly heard anything until he increased the volume a lot. On my DAW it was ideal, though.

Speaking of DAWs, some save patches internally in a proprietary formats. I think a basic patch manager would be good so that one is independent from any DAWs. Just an open and close fxp preset button would be enough, the name could be displayed on the display that's already there.

If I were you people, I would postpone making entire sound banks for a couple of weeks so that 2DaT can perfect his synth and there are no more changes affecting the sound of patches.

Breeze wrote: 2DaT: you have to be very careful now with the updates!! I renamed the previous release "Obxd1.dll" and added the new dll so I could compare and right off the bat it seems the "Spread" parameter in the newer version isn't doing the same thing as with the older build; this is particularly obvious if you put both at 12 o'clock where the older seems to have a wider range of random detuning than the newer.

Ah , somebody noticed it. It was a random mistake in a code that caused additional unwanted detune to osc2.
Nothing else changed.

fluffy_little_something wrote:If I were you people, I would postpone making entire sound banks for a couple of weeks so that 2DaT can perfect his synth and there are no more changes affecting the sound of patches.
You're probably right about that! It would be good to know what the inscrutable 2DaT has in mind. ;)

BTW: I use my RME soundcard's metering which is quite accurate but you can use Sonalksis Free-G (free!) inserted right after the Obxd. You can reset the peaks by clicking on the Peak numbers on the top right. Doing this is preferable than having your sound marred by clipping (although that might also help sometimes...). Great tool for gain staging and scaling by the way.

Return to “Instruments”