What Anti-virus/malware/spyware programs do you guys use?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

On my current laptop I've got Microsoft Security Essentials as the daily anti-virus software, and I've also got Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Spybot Search & Destroy, SuperAnti-Spyware and CCleaner, all of which I run around once a week.

Have I got everything covered here, or is there anything else I should be running?

Wow, that's a lot. Do you have time for actual work left? :wink:
I only have Avira antivir on my win7, and then check downloads on virus total.com and once in a couple of months I boot from a DVD and run one or two scanners from there. And I keep everything up to date, of course.
Never had a virus (that I know of) so far. Lots of false positives from the scanners, though.

I've got Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro running against virus and malware and use CCleaner to clean up clutter from browsing and installation left-overs. Has been working fine for me for years now.
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

In my private opinion anti-malware software is worse plague than malware itself. I have none of these installed on my system from years. I use jotti.org service, if I get some suspicious file from the internet or linux based live cd scanners, if there's suspicion on something fishy dwelling in the system.

Quite recently, I've got sloppy and executed a pack full of trojans, I've got some desktop video capturing program and I haven't scanned it. Funny thing is, it didn't work, it just hanged. I thought it is not win XP compatible after all and executed it again wit application verifier cheat, only this time it just plainly crashed. I've browsed over to the program site, just to find a big red warning that the site has been hacked and installer has been replaced with a virus pack. I did a full scan and found those, unpacked to temp folder, which apparently was the point when the whole thing crashed. I guess malware devs are dropping support for XP too, just like MS and NI... My last malware incident before this has been before I joined KVR forum, which was when I still had an antivirus running permanently, it was pain in the ass on the system and when it came to scanning an actual virus it didn't work. It was when I stopped bothering. I keep system partition backup image though, just in case.

None.

I don't browse the Internet using Windows - I use Linux and don't have any antivirus or anti-malware or anything. That and using common sense while browsing.

*** I'm always in my Sandboxie, I'm not afraid of you, Trojan! ***

If you need a great free Internet Security, I recommend Comodo Internet Security Premium! (It even has a Sandbox program included!)

I use Spybot Search & Destroy, along with Spywareblaster. Been using them both for years now. I dont run scans with Spybot unless i feel something is fishy, and blaster doesnt do any scanning. I also dont keep any realtime scanning options on.

The main purpose of them (for me) is to update the immunization lists, and block known malicious IP addresses. Id rather not communicate with them at all, than to test how well apps can remove infections.

As for antivirus, i think i have Clamwin / ClamSentinal installed, but not autorunning and i havent run them in a few months.

I have my browser set to only show me text and images, everything else is disabled. If i find a site i just have to see, that wont work properly, i load a 2nd browser with scripting / flash / the rest on. With all of the above, along with some common sense browsing, havent been hit by anything in a long time.

If your firewall has dll authentication, thats real helpful, although its more work when surfing. I love to see when suddenly my browser wants to use files its never used before. Its my queue to block and avoid the site.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Avast! Free and sometimes run a scan with MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware (maybe once every three or four weeks or so).

I've used AVG free and AntiVir and have been using Avast! Free since '08 and haven't had any issue since.
I'm incredibly sloppy and carefree when browsing too. I'm an image junkie. Anytime I'm in a mood for new, cool images of abandoned buildings or fantasy art or 80s ads, VHS covers, movie posters or whatever, I run an image search and indiscriminately open image after image after image in a ton of new tabs. When I have, like, 40 tabs or something I pause to sift through them, then start afresh. Doing this I've opened a tab many a time to see that either Bluhell Firewall (Firefox add-on), or previously Opera itself before Opera's recent 'development' forced me to switch to crraawwlling across the internet with Firefox (though quicker than my tooth-clenching experiments with Chrome and the Chromium-built Comodo Dragon, I can tell you), or Avast! had blocked a suspicious site or code, etc. But, again, never had a problem.

I run CCleaner, JetClean, Wise 365 Free, Glary Utilities, Advanced System Care Free and BleachBit along with defragging with Auslogics Disk Defrag every single day (every couple of weeks I run a few more things that clean a bit more).
I've never reinstalled Windows XP since I bought this desktop in early '07 and it still runs slick and quick and stable.

............*knocks on wood* ;)
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

MachFront wrote:I run CCleaner, JetClean, Wise 365 Free, Glary Utilities, Advanced System Care Free and BleachBit along with defragging with Auslogics Disk Defrag every single day (every couple of weeks I run a few more things that clean a bit more).
Isn't that a bit TOO much? I defrag my HDD every few months, and I never had a problem with its velocity... :shrug:

Tricky-Loops wrote:
MachFront wrote:I run CCleaner, JetClean, Wise 365 Free, Glary Utilities, Advanced System Care Free and BleachBit along with defragging with Auslogics Disk Defrag every single day (every couple of weeks I run a few more things that clean a bit more).
Isn't that a bit TOO much? I defrag my HDD every few months, and I never had a problem with its velocity... :shrug:
Ha ha! Maybe. But I just do, ya know? I wouldn't tell people it's worth doing. Though each cleaner finds a good bit of stuff the other's don't find regardless of which order I run them in, so... *shrug*
Also, I download a ton of pics most days so I just...I dunno. Maybe I'm a compu-neat-freak. :)
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

I just use Windows Defender which comes as part of Windows 8. It's a completely different program to the one in earlier versions of Windows. I believe it's essentially MSE on Windows 8.

Other than that, keeping Flash and Java up to date are the single most important things you can do on an internet connected PC to my mind. Every virus/virus warning I've had has come from a compromised ad-server while I've been using an outdated version of Flash, as far as I recall. Chrome automatically keeps it up to date which is handy, and I'm considering ditching Java altogether because it's so rarely used.

As all my bad luck has come from dodgy Flash ads, I consider Ad-Block an essential too. It's a shame to deprive a lot of sites of their income in that department, but the number of ads using Flash represents too great a security risk (let alone the insane CPU hit a lot of Flash ads expect me to stomach).

MSE is kinda shit, it's baseline is lower for detection nowadays.
Recommend Avast or Avira instead, and for gods sake only use the other ones if you think you've actually got a malware infection, not just because you want to feel safe.

I've used AVG Free (and strict avoidance of dodgy websites) for years on all of my PCs and have never had any issues....knock on wood. I also keep my virus definitions and browser plugins etc. up to date, and run CCleaner on a regular basis.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

cryophonik wrote:I've used AVG Free (and strict avoidance of dodgy websites) for years on all of my PCs and have never had any issues....knock on wood. I also keep my virus definitions and browser plugins etc. up to date, and run CCleaner on a regular basis.
I used to use AVG free for the longest time. Then I tried a few other anti-virus software out, and they all picked up things that AVG didn't :o Although I'm less adverse to 'dodgy' websites :roll:

Eset,i love it.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”