[BreakTweaker] New Izotope @ NAMM

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OMG the Cinematic Textures expansion! How awesome is that beast.
The overall sound is great, options are by far more powerful than Tremor. Unfortunately equally heavy on the CPU sometimes.
This will keep me busy for a while and I see a new patchpool subscription incoming :)

i don't like that it's midi driven only. thought it had an onboard sequencer and worked as a drum machine.

having to feed it midi notes to play patterns is a little annoying and makes it less useful for me though i see the appeal of rapid pattern switching and that kind of thing.

oh well. interesting plug in but on first demo use i don't think it's for me. perhaps on further exploration it'll reveal to me how it's "changed electronic music forever". so far, meh.

Downloading the demo right now. If I do get this I'll not be picking up the expansions. I've got enough sample material to last me a decade. Will report my findings after I've given it a spin. My initial response is kinda mixed, but that might just be my old guard mentality causing me to be blinkered. We'll see :)
Last edited by Sendy on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:So is it really permanently showing 6 of the 8 bars in the sequencer? So you have to constantly scroll the window back and forth? There doesn't seem to be any zoom to shrink the full view just a tad to get all 8 bars in the window rather than 6 of them. Or even widen the plug-in window a bit!

This reminds me of Korgs MS-20 plug-in. Needless scrolling.

I hope I'm wrong and there's a way to adjust this. Otherwise that's just plain absurd.
Does nobody else think it's ridiculous that you only get to see 6 of 8 bars at all times and always have to scroll it?

yes! resizeable vector based GUI would be perfect for this thing. a lot of info in the GUI.. would be nice to see it all at once.

Ok, it's neat and everything, but 90% of these glitch edits it can do are fairly easy to do either with midi sequencing and/or start/end point modulation. It's very cool how it can do pitch-perfect notes out of glitches, and how quickly you can get different effects, but having it all on a bunch of templates like that takes a lot of the thrill of discovery out of it for me.

Also, two words: Buffer Override. Only Buffer Override is more fun to 'play' in my experience.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:Ok, it's neat and everything, but 90% of these glitch edits it can do are fairly easy to do either with midi sequencing and/or start/end point modulation. It's very cool how it can do pitch-perfect notes out of glitches, and how quickly you can get different effects, but having it all on a bunch of templates like that takes a lot of the thrill of discovery out of it for me.

Also, two words: Buffer Override. Only Buffer Override is more fun to 'play' in my experience.
but breaktweaker changed the way we'll all make electronic music forever?? it said so right in the promo video! :hihi:

i agree w/you btw. i think it's interesting but also kinda 'meh'. it takes all that discovery and gives it a 'canned' feel. it's a cool product and something i think a lot of people will jump and use a lot.. probably too much. but the end result isn't really different than what's already out there in different ways.

Sendy wrote:Also, two words: Buffer Override. Only Buffer Override is more fun to 'play' in my experience.
Also worth mentioning: Heizenbox (which sadly the company disappeared but still works great in 32bit hosts :( ). Heizenbox can do the same as BreakTweaker but with alot more required automation..
Last edited by dalor on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

iZotope BreakTweaker

I have no use for this kind of stuff.
The product looks cool, well designed but
…why did iZotope produce such a crap video-clip with such horrible (non)music? :-o :eek: I wonder why they didn't produce an own Synthesizer instead, with backwards compatibility for excluded old-Mac users. Ah well, Apple's Dictatum=Profit seems to involve so many.
.......................................................................................................................................

cryophonik wrote:
damoog wrote:btw is midi drag and drop supported,...??
I'd like to know this as well.
Not that I have seen yet.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

woodsdenis wrote:
cryophonik wrote:
it doesn't as far as i can tell. why would it though? it doesn't have a sequencer really. it's a sampler. requires midi input to make it sequence through sounds and patterns so there is no midi data in the thing itself.

BUT since it requires midi to move then you don't need to drag and drop midi since you are writing those notes in your DAW already.

dayjob wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:
cryophonik wrote:
it doesn't as far as i can tell. why would it though? it doesn't have a sequencer really. it's a sampler. requires midi input to make it sequence through sounds and patterns so there is no midi data in the thing itself.

BUT since it requires midi to move then you don't need to drag and drop midi since you are writing those notes in your DAW already.
That makes sense. I haven't had an opportunity to demo it and was under the impression that it had an onboard sequencer. I'm guessing that it's more akin to Effectrix, where you draw position of the effect into a grid, but the drum rhythms themselves are sequenced by your DAW or another source?
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

cryophonik wrote:
That makes sense. I haven't had an opportunity to demo it and was under the impression that it had an onboard sequencer. I'm guessing that it's more akin to Effectrix, where you draw position of the effect into a grid, but the drum rhythms themselves are sequenced by your DAW or another source?
yeah.. it's a sampler that has patterns in it that are triggered from outside the sampler.

think of it as a nice sampler w/some intense DSP ability that's focused in one or two areas and some intense scripting to make it all work.

that's putting it simply of course. it's more than that but in a nutshell... that's it.

dayjob wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:So is it really permanently showing 6 of the 8 bars in the sequencer? So you have to constantly scroll the window back and forth? There doesn't seem to be any zoom to shrink the full view just a tad to get all 8 bars in the window rather than 6 of them. Or even widen the plug-in window a bit!

This reminds me of Korgs MS-20 plug-in. Needless scrolling.

I hope I'm wrong and there's a way to adjust this. Otherwise that's just plain absurd.
Does nobody else think it's ridiculous that you only get to see 6 of 8 bars at all times and always have to scroll it?

yes! resizeable vector based GUI would be perfect for this thing. a lot of info in the GUI.. would be nice to see it all at once.
The GUI doesn't even have to be vector based and dynamically re-sizable. It just needs to be 2 bars wider or have the 8 bars fit into the current space. One or the other. I just can't get over this insane design decision. It's like someone said "ok this thing is going to be exactly this many pixels wide" and then someone else said "and each bar must be exactly this many pixels wide" and then someone said "ok well we can only fit 6 of the 8 bars, I guess that will have to do and they'll just have to scroll". WTF?

havent installed the demo yet, but can you not resize the grid but using that overall window at the top? ala ableton style?

-edit
and tried, thats a big nope

I just tried to install the demo. Avira reported two instances of TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen malware. Anyone run into this?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Return to “Instruments”