Tracktion 5 at NAMM

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ShawnG wrote:
bungle wrote: No, i was referring to the 'other guys' as you put it, the list of things they did wrong as soon as they got Tracktion off Mackie is rather large, and for a lot of us original T users, well it was too much.
well, that's a bit vague to be honest. Personally I am an original Tracktion user as well, I originally bought it as a breath of fresh air after using Cubase VST 5 in the early noughties. To be honest, most hosts these days are pretty user friendly unlike then, and Tracktion has kind of been left in the dust due to years of non-development. Tracktion 4 was delivered exactly as I expected, an un-Mackied T3 that runs in 64 bit. As these were my expectations for my 30 bucks, and I am unaware that anything else was expressly promised. I'm not disappointed, even though I haven't used T4 for heavy lifting as of yet.

so presumably the list of the sins of the current crew are so vast and universal as to be an onerous task to write down? maybe you could give me a "top 5" of the horrible things that they have done? I don't mind a disagreement, as long as it's specific.
1 They announced way too early, maybe over excited but definitely unprofessional, they should have had a fully working version ready to ship on announcement, not as it happened, having a non working version for a lot of people for a long time.
2 Because they announced too early they ended up having a fairly useless web site for quite a while, again maybe over excitement but again definitely unprofessional.
3 They charged for an initial update that they should have tightened their belts and given for free, this would have rebuilt some of the trust that was decimated by Mackie.
4 They have jumped from a paid update to another paid update with pretty much no updates, so people who jumped on v4 are now going to be asked to pay again for v5 when v4 was and has been very buggy for most of it's existence.
5 I will just say hype and poor support and leave it at that (The support seems to have gotten better, the hype not so much, so again i will leave it at that)

I actually didn't want to go into specifics because it was fair to give Jules a level playing field to start fresh with v5 (He is a good lad) but oh well.

And before any fanboy types decide they want to get all butt hurt over any of this, let me be very clear here, I have probably been using Tracktion longer than most, I still like Tracktion very much and in no way am i trying to ruin their big moment, I am stating facts, nothing more, will i keep buying the upgrades, most likely, more of a nostalgia thing than anything else nowadays.
Duh

I do that too, nostalgically buy things I don't want or need. Got a room full of rugby boots, which I've not played since I was 14. I keep them next to my big book of facts, where I write down all the thinks I have about stuff.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

I've always liked Tracktion. It was just never stable enough to feel comfortable with it. I'll most definitely be checking out v5 though.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

bungle wrote:3 They charged for an initial update that they should have tightened their belts and given for free, this would have rebuilt some of the trust that was decimated by Mackie.
In an ideal world maybe but, y'know, economics and stuff. If they were a big corporation or had even just had Tracktion all along and let it slide then I'd probably agree but, at this stage, if we want them to work on Tracktion then I guess they need funds. They've effectively inherited a new/alien product that needs/needed major renovation.
4 They have jumped from a paid update to another paid update with pretty much no updates, so people who jumped on v4 are now going to be asked to pay again for v5 when v4 was and has been very buggy for most of it's existence.
However, I agree with this point. Is 5 definitely a paid update? (kind of skip-read this thread to be honest :))

£19?
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Exactly. Even though I'm secretly hoping that, by buying in december I'm eligible for a grace period of free upgrade....... It's still the price of a sandwich and a coffee in most major UK airports. And tracktion leaves me with less stomach pains.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

As part of the T4 update, didn't Jules kill the old "first note" bug that had plagued versions 1-3? I imagine that for many people , this was worth the upgrade price.

Some good points though. Yes, the website was a bit of a fustercluck for a while.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

The low upgrade or start up price seems a no brainer to me .. I'd be fine upgrading yearly . I'm done with high priced hosts .

T4 is stable for me. None of the famous poof crashes I got with all previous versions.

And their support team has been second to none. Jules and Woody are really helpful, personable and quick to respond the few times I've emailed with questions and feature requests.

All good for me. Send in T5. :wink:

According to the article it was supposed to be released today, no?

DJMashbot wrote:According to the article it was supposed to be released today, no?
Don't think I've seen an official announcement yet.

From the Music Radar link in the first post:

"Tracktion 5 will be available for download from the Tracktion website from 23 January. Prices will range from $29.99 for upgrades to $59.99 for new licenses. It's compatible with Mac, PC and Linux."

Was mildly curious about that myself. I thought there'd be a new feature list out by now.

Well it's now the 24th so.... that obviously didn't go according to plan :?

Update from Jules:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2#p5624661
jules wrote:Nobody seems to have guessed the clever new trick we've got involving multiple edits.. That's good, it means our beta-testers have been keeping schtum!

News coming soon, folks.. Woody + Dave are busy doing press-release stuff at NAMM while me + the devs put in a few last-minute fixes, but it's not long until we'll be able to flip the switch..
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”