SONiVox Twist for 20 Dollars

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Unfortunately, no. It would be much more interesting if you could. However, the synthesis engine is still capable of some interesting stuff with the supplied range of base samples

wasi wrote:I've been wondering about Twist 2.0 : Can you use your own samples or is it just the built in library?

thecontrolcentre wrote:I just recieved the code from JRR today ... already too late? "coupon code Twist20 is not valid" ... :shrug:
consider yourself lucky from what I hear lol

Doug1978 wrote:Either way, this thread can be summed up as man spends $20, doesn't like what he's bought, and then moans about customer support which he hasn't yet experienced himself.
I think the main point with this thread is not about VST's , but the customer service one gets

Apparantly one buys a plugin to check what the customer service is, the plugin seems to be just an appendix, unimportant.

So far this thread has had more or less no input about the plugin itself, how it sounds, and what styles of music it would best fit... :help:

awol9000 wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:I just recieved the code from JRR today ... already too late? "coupon code Twist20 is not valid" ... :shrug:
consider yourself lucky from what I hear lol
:hihi:

Here's one of the positiver reviews:

http://bboytechreport.com/review/sonivox-twist

I fhat's a positive review, I wonder how the bad ones are :D
Overall, I have luke warm feelings about SONiVOX TWIST. I’ve played with TWIST more lately and I’ve found it to be useful when in the mood to sound design but the design tools and interface a simple and limiting. Although I’m certain this is a design intended for less advanced user, for a more advanced user it’s just a bit uninspiring and stifling. I’m a bit uninspired by the presets. The interface is ok. The design overall is meant to be as simple as possible so you focus on twisting the BIG knobs to create new sounds. They hit the mark there. I created a few interesting patches but everything no matter what is pretty dub-steppy at its core. That’s okay because that’s TWISTs lane, unfortunately its not mine. However, when I mapped the knobs to my Akai MPK49, using the MPK49 arpeggiator with TWISTs Pattern Generator I had considerable amounts of fun freaking some sequences of TWIST sounds and effects combinations. Still dont expect TWIST to be a NI MASSIVE contender anytime soon.

Numanoid wrote:I fhat's a positive review, I wonder how the bad ones are :D
Overall, I have luke warm feelings about SONiVOX TWIST. I’ve played with TWIST more lately and I’ve found it to be useful when in the mood to sound design but the design tools and interface a simple and limiting. Although I’m certain this is a design intended for less advanced user, for a more advanced user it’s just a bit uninspiring and stifling. I’m a bit uninspired by the presets. The interface is ok. The design overall is meant to be as simple as possible so you focus on twisting the BIG knobs to create new sounds. They hit the mark there. I created a few interesting patches but everything no matter what is pretty dub-steppy at its core. That’s okay because that’s TWISTs lane, unfortunately its not mine. However, when I mapped the knobs to my Akai MPK49, using the MPK49 arpeggiator with TWISTs Pattern Generator I had considerable amounts of fun freaking some sequences of TWIST sounds and effects combinations. Still dont expect TWIST to be a NI MASSIVE contender anytime soon.
There were many complaints that the sounds of Twist weren't up-to-date and hardly usable. Anyway, dubstep fanatics might get some use out of it...

Real wobblers are using MWobbler by Meldaproduction... :wink:

Tricky-Loops wrote:There were many complaints that the sounds of Twist weren't up-to-date
That can't be bad ? :o

Everybody is trying to emulate a 40 year old synth (MiniMoog), the older sound the better it seems :D

Numanoid wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:There were many complaints that the sounds of Twist weren't up-to-date
That can't be bad ? :o

Everybody is trying to emulate a 40 year old synth (MiniMoog), the older sound the better it seems :D
As MiniMoog emulation, I'd rather buy Monark than Twist. But Twist isn't the worst thing you can buy for 20 bucks, either...

If some people are buying Twist instead of 2 bottles of Whiskey, it's a healthful thing... :hihi:

Update:

They have a really bad Customer Support (now I have personal experience)

Made a mail on 18 of January and now we are the 24 , and no answer !!
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

Yup. I took a gamble at 20 bucks. No answer on the supposed free upgrade to v2 from Sonivox after close to a week.

I don't have any other Sonivox stuff and based on this (v1 of the plugin is about as flexible as a block of concrete) I'm highly unlikely to take a serious look at any else they have.

Regarding the "Customer Support" issues with SONiVOX, I've had to deal with them 3 times (different products, different reps) - It's sometimes difficult for some of us in this day of instant gratification but these issues are all manually addressed. They have an automated system which acknowledges receipt of request, which states "up to 72 hour for response, not including holidays and weekends" - adding this to the fact that they also "care" for the products of EIGHT other companies, getting something in a "timely" fashion is not likely.

One installation issue I had resulted in a 14 BUSINESS day correspondence, with days in between such helpful suggestions as "what version of the OS are you running?" (which was stated in the original request) At the end of that time, *I* had figured it out and sent him a detailed description in the event that anyone else might have a similar issue.

It took 6 BUSINESS days to get the required code to purchase the software at a discount, and install another piece of software, which also had installation issues (different ones)

However, they are certainly pleasant in their attempts, and it may just have been my misfortune in these cases - but they MAY be able to help you, if you give them enough time...

I got twist for 20 bucks, the sound is ok, really can't complain for the price. I sent my request for the 2.1 update on saturday, got an email monday asking for my info, received the update less than an hour later. that was my customer support experience.
I remember a while back buying something from them and I had a problem and they promptly remedied it.
I recently had gotten vocalizer for $29, (not pro) and I like it, and have already used it on some songs. I think twist came out of the vocalizer sound manipulation engine, they sound kinda similar, where vocalizer is manipulating any sound you put into it, and twist uses it's own sample set.

fx1mark wrote:I sent my request for the 2.1 update on saturday, got an email monday asking for my info, received the update less than an hour later. that was my customer support experience.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY2WIFGQttE

I too had a reasonably good interaction with their customer service when I go the upgrade to version 2.0 a few months ago. Took a few days, but they were helpful. I had the impression they supported several different companies, not just Sonivox. All told I cannot complain for $20.

fx1mark wrote:I got twist for 20 bucks, the sound is ok, really can't complain for the price. I sent my request for the 2.1 update on saturday, got an email monday asking for my info, received the update less than an hour later. that was my customer support experience.
I remember a while back buying something from them and I had a problem and they promptly remedied it.
I recently had gotten vocalizer for $29, (not pro) and I like it, and have already used it on some songs. I think twist came out of the vocalizer sound manipulation engine, they sound kinda similar, where vocalizer is manipulating any sound you put into it, and twist uses it's own sample set.

Return to “Instruments”