Reviews?!! Are they?!!

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Please stop writing these 'comments' and call it reviews!

What happened to the reviews I read years ago here? They were so informative and 'real' reviews!

Some still writing proper reviews, but some others don't know what 'review' means, it seems!

There must be some rules please! and IMO should be approved by some knowledgeable people here (maybe moderators), otherwise, people just write whatever come to their minds and call it 'review'!

For beginning I think some kind of a format should exist (like years ago), sections like Sound, GUI, Stability, Value for money ...etc. and should not be less than 1000 words for example!

The reviewer should have spent enough time with the product to review it. Also, he/she should have some knowledge about what he/she is talking!

The rating should be reasonable people! 10/10 means perfect! 6 or 7 means average. Also, is the rating personal? Reviews should be based on facts (in the scientific/logical part) and on opinions (in the artistic/musical part). So, the review is not only personal rating, it is about how good or bad is this product (based on something!).

What can I say?! I'm really sorry and sad for loosing such a great section in KVR, the reviews. I don't read them anymore because many of what is written now cannot be called a review.

If people want to say their opinion about a product they can write a topic in the specific section, but not a 'post' and call it a review!

Anyway, I wasn't sure to post this, but I feel sad whenever go to the reviews section. :-(

Ah, this old chestnut...

< searches for 'reviews' > :o :o

Please stop writing these 'comments' and calling them threads!
:wink:

I guess if you feel ''sad'' whenever you go to the reviews section, then maybe don't go there?
:phones:

Totally agree. It could be a really useful section and usually, it's just a heap of garbage... or worse, a thinly veiled ad. It would really require some hands-on moderation to clean it up, though, and who'd be willing to do that?

One of the things I do is look at the name of the poster. There are a few people here who really do thoughtful and useful reviews, you just need to know who to look for. A rating of "10" or "1" is usually a pretty good clue that the review is useless. Usually.

Doug1978 wrote:Ah, this old chestnut...

I guess if you feel ''sad'' whenever you go to the reviews section, then maybe don't go there?
Do you like to behave like a silly person always?

Show us your wisdom then, or are you going to post photos of naked women instead?

Nick Batt from Sonic state is the king of reviewers....
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

EnGee wrote:
Doug1978 wrote:Ah, this old chestnut...

Do you like to behave like a silly person always?

Show us your wisdom then, or are you going to post photos of naked women instead?
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=387601

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=370762

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365918

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=348121

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=349717

All from the last 2 years (some considerably less) and all pretty much saying the same as you.

Mine was a light-hearted post, and I didn't insult you.

You and I have been registered here long enough (2005 and 2007 respectively) to realise that reviews often aren't as constructive as they should be. C'est la vie.

I'll leave you to retread old ground now and waste your weekend further.

8)

ariston wrote:Totally agree. It could be a really useful section and usually, it's just a heap of garbage... or worse, a thinly veiled ad. It would really require some hands-on moderation to clean it up, though, and who'd be willing to do that?

One of the things I do is look at the name of the poster. There are a few people here who really do thoughtful and useful reviews, you just need to know who to look for. A rating of "10" or "1" is usually a pretty good clue that the review is useless. Usually.
Yes you are right, usually when I see just few paragraphs, I don't read them. The extreme rating is also an indication (most of the time) of 'emotional' review.
werp wrote:Nick Batt from Sonic state is the king of reviewers....
Indeed, I have seen maybe all his reviews. I didn't buy anything because of him! :hihi:

But I don't know if he has software reviews? I need to check this cause I thought he has only hardware reviews.

I think you have some very valid and constructive suggestions regarding rules, approval before publishing, review sections, etcetera, It would definitely make the reviews section more useful on the whole.

Also I don't know if it's technically possible, but maybe once a review reaches '0 of 5 people found this review useful' it could be automatically deleted.

Agree with this. I find it particularly infuriating when people write "I've only spent 2 hours with the product and already I'm totally blown away!". If you've only spent two hours with something, how are you qualified to review it properly? Makes you wonder how many others spent 2 hours with something without mentioning it in their review.

See the same things on metacritic all the time too. It's not helpful.

There are rules, but they are not in your face, you have to want to read them.

Product page > Reviews > Rate & Review ___ ____ Now! > Review Rules and Guidelines [Show/hide]

And I suspect a fair few either haven't read the rules, have forgotten them or ignore them.

Also a dev can ask for the prouct to be excluded from reviews;
It is not possible to review ____ _______ - this is because the developer has requested we exclude ____ ________ from the User Review process.

Yes, it is there but it seems like a Cliché you just check it, agree and proceed.

I don't know. I like the old way. Just detailed reviews without comments especially from the developer!

EnGee wrote:6 or 7 means average.
In what distribution? I think you're skewed as much as +2.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

werp wrote:Nick Batt from Sonic state is the king of reviewers....
Video reviews are much better than written ones anyway. 8)

Completely agreed with OP. It's not just short reviews that are a problem. A lot of them are long, but read like the rambling dialogs of a 5-year-old. "and then this one time, Randy and me had this keyboard, and it, like, made PIOW PIOW sounds when we pressed teh buttons... like from Star Wars... and then, like, we got bored and went to Randy's house and had ice cream." :wheee:

At least people should probably not be allowed to post reviews unless they have something like 50 posts or similar.

I've seen a lot of reviews who were written by people having .... zero post on KVR forums.

So you cant cant post a mp3 link in the forum unless you have a certain number of posts, but you can write a review, which will get much more exposure in Kvr ? Seems weird.

And a minimum number of lines per review would probably not harm, I agree.

Well, just my 0.002
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Return to “Site Stuff”