New Roland "DANCE" hardware- AIRA TR-8, TB-3, VT-3, SYSTEM-1

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ingonator wrote:
breakmixer wrote:
Jim Y wrote:Only the Cowbell is PCM.
;)
Pesky Cowbell Missing - Is that what PCM means?
You could check my post at the previous page...

Ingo
Oh, I thought that was some standalone Cowbell hardware joke, is that related to the TR-8 then? Confused me - you have! :?

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
VitaminD wrote:Please awaken me when the hype machine has reached 'Ludicrous' speed.
In that case your wakeup call started 3 weeks ago ;)
pffft.

We are at 'Light' speed at the moment, nearing 'Ridiculous' speed.. not close to 'Ludicrous' speed yet.

Seriously cool design!
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Here is some news from

http://www.musictech.net/2014/01/namm-2 ... e-seen-it/

‘The NAMM show has been stolen’ is what I wrote last week when we got the first glimpses of Roland’s AIRA, a hazy couple of ‘leaked’ pictures of two products, one of which seems to be the next generation of the Roland TR-808. We added to the hype by publishing them , for sure , but the on-line scramble that followed was unprecedented. You see people have been waiting years for Roland to rerelease its classic machines and the TR-808 was just one of the company’s back catalogue that defined dance music. But for many years the company refused. The reasons were many and varied – you can read more about them in the current issue of MusicTech – but now Roland is about to unleash AIRA and has apparently been working on it in secret for years.

And last night, at the end of day 2 at NAMM 2014 in the USA, I became one of the first journalists to see the results. But don’t get too excited as I really can’t reveal what I saw unless it’s from a prison cell. What I can say is that the images you have seen are real, and these things look stunning, Tron like in their inception (I have a thing about Tron mind, so you may not agree). I can also say that what I heard blew me away. One other fact? The original team of Roland engineers was involved.

I’ve been coming to the NAMM show for 20 years now and this has never happened before – products deliberately not on show that end up stealing the show. And it’s not like it’s been a weak show; that Moog Sub 37? Amazing. Elektron Analog Drum Machine? Yes please. I even got excited by an interface from UA yesterday.

But what I saw in a hotel room last night – OK deliberately in some kind of cloak and dagger scenario to max out the impact – genuinely blew me away. I can’t wait to show you (I wasn’t allowed to shoot video but will bring you images in the next issue of MusicTech) and you can be sure that this website will be the first to reveal all so stick with us, it will be worth the wait.

new video up: http://www.roland.com/aira/

if you look at 0:34 - 0:38, those red buttons (pads?) are arranged in an octave. DEFINITELY a 303 coming!!!

cheers,
Aldo

dadaumpa wrote:new video up: http://www.roland.com/aira/

if you look at 0:34 - 0:38, those red buttons (pads?) are arranged in an octave. DEFINITELY a 303 coming!!!

cheers,
Aldo
My theory:
Modular keyboard with the following optional modules:

Genius idea if so.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

dadaumpa wrote:new video up: http://www.roland.com/aira/

cheers,
Aldo
in sec 0:58-0:59 there are keys "clearly" visible. looks like pimped sh-101 :)

After all this hype it had better be good. Having listened to a V-Synth 808 kit, i think Roland could pull this off with digital because that sounds incredibly fat.

So no NAMM release then. Poor show this year....

Looks like it will be unveiled at the Dutch Dancefair in Feb...

Syntza wrote:But what I saw in a hotel room last night – OK deliberately in some kind of cloak and dagger scenario to max out the impact – genuinely blew me away.
Hear that? It's the sound of my eyes rolling, hard.

Either this product is a huge disappointment and can't speak for itself, or it's buggy as hell and unready to show to the unwashed masses.

I wonder what kind of free alcohol and goodies the carefully selected magazine journalists were given along with their legal threats, before entering that hotel room.

Until then you have the schoolyard chants from those who know -

"We know something you don't. We know something you don't. We know something you don't...." etc...

I mean - Journalist + NDA. Is it just me or is that simply WRONG!

Jim Y wrote:Until then you have the schoolyard chants from those who know -

"We know something you don't. We know something you don't. We know something you don't...." etc...

I mean - Journalist + NDA. Is it just me or is that simply WRONG!
Yeah, but this type of hype machine strategy doesn't work on me, so they can do what they want. All the mystery and then nothing really to show for it = disappointment. Maybe it ends up being cool, maybe it doesn't, but there's nothing exciting going on as far as I'm concerned. Wake me up when we have all the information, reviews, and they're in stores.

Roland at Namm '14 = no show

Did Roland actually say the Aira series would be at NAMM?

derp derp, I see the entitled haters are back - and even more edifying than before. :lol:

fact is the AIRA boxes were at NAMM, albeit behind closed doors and only available to be seen/heard by accredited & select journalists - it would seem. I've seen multiple eletronic music publishers claim to have seen AIRA while attending NAMM, and also state they must stay tight lipped until next month/issue. Which makes sense - since next month will be when AIRA is 'officially' unveiled by Roland.

it also seems the units won't be available to purchase until winter this year, so I think they handled NAMM in a reasonable fashion. It would be foolish not to take advantage of the promotional opportunity, but equally as foolish to show the units prematurely.

still staying tuned, new teaser looks nice :) can't comment on the sound too much considering the inherent compression in streaming media, but the composition sounds promising.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”