Flow (ElectroProg - Seismic Zoning)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow, i'm so sorry i didn't reply back to this when i said i would. A day has turned into around 2 months whoops :oops:

The new master by Daniel Abadie sounds very good. There's a good boost to the excitement of the top end - it now sounds more 'open' and it sounds like there's some cleaning up in the lower mids to get rid of some resonances. Slightly wider stereo image as well? It all sounds pretty nicely compressed/limited too - I can hear the squashing but it's not detrimental - tight would be the word to describe it as it brings the whole rhythm section a little more under control. My only 2 criticisms is that the bassline that comes it at around 4.23 now has slightly less impact/weight than before and it also sounds slightly narrower (in my mix i split the bassline into it's lower and higher frequency content and widened the stereo image of the higher frequencies). It's only a minor thing as it certainly doesn't 'hurt' the track in any way. The other is that at 4.38, where the full weight of the bassline kicks in, there is what sounds like limiting distortion going on in the low end and also some distortion affecting the hihats. Like i say though it is minor and because of the nature of that section ie. the most intense part of the track, the squashing doesn't sound out of place - It still sounds good :)

I like your master too Tim, in fact it would be hard to choose which of the masters i personally prefer as yours has slightly more low/mid presence and it also sounds less compressed (consequently i can't hear any distortion at 4.38).

I am also well aware than soundcloud transcodes to 128 kbps mp3 which has obvious effects on the audio. To make a completely fair assessment i would have to hear the wavs. But overall they both sound very good to my ears.

Really enjoyed being a part of this. :hug: to everyone!
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Thanks very much for the detailed response, Loz. It is much appreciated :) I seem to have the same problem with time myself. There is never enough of it.

The whole exercise (composition/editing/remixing/mastering) has been an extremely informative and educational process for me. I'm still trying to incorporate some of the ideas and techniques featured in your mix into my current workflow. I have made a little progress with compressors, but I'm still feeling my way with them. I have recently started using light compression on drum tracks as that seemed to be a sensible way to gain some experience without upsetting the apple-cart. Thanks again for your great contributions :tu:

Just left my comment on Master version of this track :tu: - you really know what you are doing man !!!

Darek
I like that freedom with no boundaries, no restrictions, no rules setup by somebody else – it's only me and my music.

TranceLover007 wrote:Just left my comment on Master version of this track :tu: - you really know what you are doing man !!!

Darek
Thanks very much for checking this out and thanks for the great comments. Glad you liked it, Darek :D

TranceLover007 wrote:Just left my comment on Master version of this track :tu: - you really know what you are doing man !!!

Darek
Thanks very much 007 ;-)

(( D ))

Here's my master

(Will be posting a new master shortly)

I took note of the eq changes made in Daniel Abadie's master - indeed it was slightly resonant in the low mids so i made some narrow cuts of 1 - 3 dB at 350, 700 and 1100 Hz which were the most resonant frequencies (with reaEQ). My mastering chain consisted of Bootsy's Density III (incredible plugin imo) and Baxter EQ, Luftikus EQ and VladG's Limiter No.6 (2 instances - one for the clipper and one for the limiter)

Hope you enjoy it :)
Last edited by do_androids_dream on Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

do_androids_dream wrote: I took note of the eq changes made in Daniel Abadie's master - indeed it was slightly resonant in the low mids ...
I you´re taking all the resonances out of a mix than you´re sucking the life out of it.
Resonances are summing up to what we call FEEL or ATMO ;-)
E.g. if you´re tuning the snare drum that way that it isn´t resonating anymore with the kit, than the result is a lifeless drumset.
A cut of 3 dB is what you´re doing very rarely in mastering, that´s called fixing mixing mistakes.
My mastering chain contains many more instances, a.o. analog gear and tape machine simulations. They surely add some resonances to the material and that´s what we love about the resulting sound.
Your master sounds nice, though at the end there´s some noticable distortion which is too much of imo.

(( D ))

drumity wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote: I took note of the eq changes made in Daniel Abadie's master - indeed it was slightly resonant in the low mids ...
I you´re taking all the resonances out of a mix than you´re sucking the life out of it.
Resonances are summing up to what we call FEEL or ATMO ;-)
E.g. if you´re tuning the snare drum that way that it isn´t resonating anymore with the kit, than the result is a lifeless drumset.
A cut of 3 dB is what you´re doing very rarely in mastering, that´s called fixing mixing mistakes.
My mastering chain contains many more instances, a.o. analog gear and tape machine simulations. They surely add some resonances to the material and that´s what we love about the resulting sound.
Your master sounds nice, though at the end there´s some noticable distortion which is too much of imo.

(( D ))
Hey there :) Thanks for the feedback. When i say resonances i mean resonances that i found to be disagreeable and yes, they are fixes (to my own mix lol!). I could have gone back to the mix but, imo, the cuts didn't cause any harm to the track overall - they were very narrow.

do_androids_dream wrote:Here's my master

https://soundcloud.com/loz-grover/whatsisname-flow

I took note of the eq changes made in Daniel Abadie's master - indeed it was slightly resonant in the low mids so i made some narrow cuts of 1 - 3 dB at 350, 700 and 1100 Hz which were the most resonant frequencies (with reaEQ). My mastering chain consisted of Bootsy's Density III (incredible plugin imo) and Baxter EQ, Luftikus EQ and VladG's Limiter No.6 (2 instances - one for the clipper and one for the limiter)

Hope you enjoy it :)
Wow. Another master :)

Edit 20140406: Here is the most recent Crimson Sun Audio master of Flow:-

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/flow- ... -audio-mix

I'll try to give this a proper listen later in the week. First impressions are good :tu:
Last edited by seismic1 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ok, so a revised master. Slightly less compressed and the limiter settings reduced slightly.

https://soundcloud.com/loz-grover/whatsisnameflowmaster
Last edited by do_androids_dream on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gentlemen! I think we are on the verge of a singularity :o
Me running out of superlatives :hyper:
and
The shattering of the KVR hit counter :lol:
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

folderol wrote:Gentlemen! I think we are on the verge of a singularity :o
Me running out of superlatives :hyper:
and
The shattering of the KVR hit counter :lol:
This is absolutely deserved ;-)

But I don´t think it will beat my Paintings thread anytime soon, almost 60.000 views :o

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... +portfolio

(( D ))

do_androids_dream wrote:Ok, so a revised master. Slightly less compressed and the limiter settings reduced slightly.
Thanks very much, Loz. I'll check this out at the weekend. :)

do_androids_dream wrote:Ok, so a revised master. Slightly less compressed and the limiter settings reduced slightly.
I think I've played your masters about 15 times each today. I wanted to make sure that I could hear the effect of the changes that you made. I heard a "break-up" in the hats towards the end of the track in your original master. I also heard a more pleasing character in the sound of the the PW horn lead synth in the same section on the latest version.

Then I went back and compared your master to mine. Yours definitely has a "fuller" sound relative to mine, a little louder too, The bass synth sounds more powerful (without being overbearing or distorted), and the percussion sounds much punchier.

I still have a lot to learn.

Good work, Loz :tu:

I'm just listening versions of this song. I wrote in august 2012 about this ''Cool! Great track. The composition is interesting from beginning to end. Sounds good''. I like this further.. good work .. thumbs up!

Return to “Music Cafe”