Why I think Daft Punk Won The Grammies

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Im certain that they predominantly use a talkbox.

dusted william wrote:Im certain that they predominantly use a talkbox.
Well, some googling around showed me they probably used a talkbox on HBFS (but nobody seems to have actual proof of that), but they 'predominantly' (as on much more tracks) use a vocoder. As far as sources go they've used a Esoniq DP-4 on earlier stuff and also seem to use a Korg MS2000 a lot.

There is a lot of discussion about DP using a talkbox on certain tracks but it is only speculation (although in case of HBFS there seems to be some foundation to the notion), as there seems to be no real proof (as in official statements from someone 'in the know').
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

I heard a song by them last night called Lose Yourself In Dance. It's okay - deserves a good remix, but they are definitely using a talkbox hooked up to a keyboard that sounds like it's being filter swept. It actually reminded me of a Reaktor Fx called Enmotion or Atmotion (I'd have to look at it) which continuously sweeps filter bands in sync.
Reminds me of a preset called PadsHeaven....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr2SnZgLq1Q
(love this guy)

osiris wrote:but they are definitely using a talkbox hooked up to a keyboard
Still, that's your perception. I can find a lot of discussion on this, but NOBODY actually knows what they use and how.

Mind you, your perception is mainly based on you being convinced that what you hear can only be achieved by a talkbox, while you hardly will be able to know what people can achieve with 'other' means. The fact that most 'covers' on youtube are done with a talkbox still is no definite proof, only proof that nobody seems to be able to get close with other means. It looks a lot like a circular argument (think 'black swans').

By the way, this was made in 1978 and is also NOT a talkbox but a vocoder (and sounds like DP took a big cue from him):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_55JoURq1Q
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-kLy44Hls

To me it sounds like he's playing over chords and arpeggios on a keyboard through a talkbox.

osiris wrote:To me it sounds like he's playing over chords and arpeggios on a keyboard through a talkbox.
I have no idea why you think it sounds specifically different from the Herbie Hancock example I posted. The effect I hear (in your last posted vid) can simply be done with a (real analog) vocoder.

This thread made me crack a smile .
My two cents:

1) Many talented people have been hidden behind the "Daft Punk" name, Tron Legacy to the Grammies....

2) The original members was always going for anonymity anyway with the helmets and paper bags on interviews...

So couldn't Daft Punk have been anyone wearing a helmet and chopping up samples anyway? What constitutes a Daft Punk?

|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

So it is a Talkbox, but this:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr98/a ... alker.html
says you can use it as a vocoder.

the talker is not a talkbox.

I used to have one, a cool unit. still wish I had it.

heres my setup for "get lucky" that i play live with a yamaha wx5/laptop/reaper:

https://soundcloud.com/tonyostinato/getluckywindsynth

for the vocoder i used the vocoder in ableton live along with arturia arp2600 and recorded vocals, 4 tracks.

then i chopped that up and loaded it into kontakt so i could play it from windsynth.

since i did the recording i added in almost all the rest of the parts, theres just 2 notes missing now that i just cant do.

I'm living in the twilight zone

So,
I love them.
I hate this album.
But, this was the *first ever* time I was watching any kind of big awards show and gave half a shit who won, or why. When I watched it I was like, excited, hopeful, proud, etc... "Huzzah!", I exclaimed. :)

Music is always changing. It will never be the same in the present as it was in the past. This is 'new' music. Its 'weird' that it won. Whatever. But, they have been and will be The Beatles for me. And Im not that weird.
Even though I dont like the album, and I might even think the album is a weird point for them in my own little world, the idea that the world is appreciating electronic music legends, and considering it for "best", is a big deal, to me, even if it does take resuscitating some old pop music names to do it, for now.

Im in the USA though. So, while electronic music is kind of all I know, Im not in the most electronica-friendly place. So it feels like validation on some levels.

Aaanyway,
I bump this only because I didnt see this posted,
and its like Trey-Parker-on-acid-at-Oscars level of awesome-
http://theboombox.com/daft-punk-fake-ro ... my-awards/
These are some cool dudes. :)
ImageImageImageImage

SODDI wrote:It's because the music industry took a look around and saw HOW MUCH electronic-based dance music was out there. They really don't know what to make of it, but there are big bucks in it. So they picked a well-known yet relatively innocuous band who have a good image for the camera ("look, they're robots")and handed them a bunch of awards so the industry doesn't look like a bunch of boring old farts who are out of touch.

Think back to when they gave Jethro Tull a Grammy for "Hard Rock".
5++++

Exactly. But before that, they said to them HOW and WHAT they must to do. They probably said "And guys, if you want some bucks, don't try to create something similar to "Homework" :uhuhuh:

I'm about to say something that will surely get my man-card revoked and have me kicked out of this thread permanently.....

F#*% Daft Punk. Sara Bareilles got robbed. :x :tantrum: :box:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”