Do you end up getting tired of your own music from the production process?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Delfinoverde wrote: If you get tired in the progress of your music production, take a break or just skip it and do a new project…just to fool your (controlling) mind a little bit. Eventually you'll come back to the older work(s) in the "flow" with more enthusiasm & energy - without any (self)pressure!
Exactly. When I suddenly run out of ideas on a song, I'll start working on another song. Every once in a while you get those days when nothing happens. It's ok. Go do something else. Or try sitting around playing some cover tunes, and let your brain rest. You'd be surprised how a few days like that when you're overworked will recharge you.

3*s wrote:I've always had this problem, and again found myself in this situation today. I'll come up with 8 bars that sound great to me at first, enough that I tell myself I'm going to finish this song. Then I'll try to find working variations and complementary parts, program some sounds, find some old ones that might work, mix a bit as I go, do an arrangement, find variations of said arrangement I like, do a real mix, master.. This takes me a couple months on and off.

By the time I reach the end I've probably heard that first 8 bars a few thousand times. It kinda has that effect of when you hear a song on the radio you like way too many times. I know I liked it when I wrote it but now it feels stale, and I haven't even finished it.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any tricks you've found that help?[/url]
I've had this problem before. The problem is i don't know how to mix my own production. I spent countless hours re-listening back and forth and eventually got bored. How do I solve this? I take breaks. If I spend too much hours on it not getting anywhere I need spend time on other things. When I come back, I have fresh ear again and I could hear what need to be done to the production/mixing that isn't there before.

You need to take breaks cuz you're suffering from audio fatique. Make sure you have decent mix or you will get bored of your own production.

3*s wrote:I've always had this problem, and again found myself in this situation today. I'll come up with 8 bars that sound great to me at first, enough that I tell myself I'm going to finish this song. Then I'll try to find working variations and complementary parts, program some sounds, find some old ones that might work, mix a bit as I go, do an arrangement, find variations of said arrangement I like, do a real mix, master.. This takes me a couple months on and off.
Do you already have lyrics by this point or is this just the backing. Maybe it's worth spending time on the lyrics or the backing alone, or trying them together.

What a great thread.
Ive always wondered if everyone hears their tracks 5000 times while working, like me.
I get sick of them sometimes, but either way, my ears always end up totally warped, because going back to finished tracks after not hearing them for months is always really really strange... Especially if I dont quite remember them.

Every tip I have has been mentioned.
Oh, except one;
Keep working it until it becomes a whole new track! And then quit before you get sick of that one!
I think thats why half my tracks sound like a completely different, and better, track in the last half... :scared:
ImageImageImageImage

that's an interesting point. I've got a dozen or so unfinished songs, and if I started working on them now, I'm sure they'd end up completely different than how I first imagined them to be.
We grow as musicians.
If your songs start sounding different, maybe go back and re-write some of the earlier parts and A-B them, seeing which way you like it? The song is yours until you finish it.

Igrewsome wrote: We grow as musicians.
Had to quote that just because of the username. ;)

+1!
ImageImageImageImage

Hah!

Return to “Production Techniques”