STOP ME before I give in to GAS and get me a MASCHINE STUDIO

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have Komplete already. Anyone played with a maschine studio?

I also kinda missed the time when they gave away 6 maschine expansion packs with every mk2. :(

I have a Maschine Studio. If you like Maschine at all, the Studio takes it far beyond what it was. Anything in particular you want to know about?
-Michael

I got a mikro and to be honest I wish I had the mk2. It's just not that fun to use and you really still need to look at the PC screen a lot.
My milkshake brings all the girls to the yard

http://soundcloud.com/the-boogee-man

I've got it - love it! don't use my monitor much with it. Get it!

Oopfoo wrote:I have a Maschine Studio. If you like Maschine at all, the Studio takes it far beyond what it was. Anything in particular you want to know about?
Yes - how is the integration with regular vsts(non NI)? And how are the parameters mapped for komplete instruments?
Also - can you browse through all komplete patches (even kontakt ones) ?

Most importantly - while loading vsts and sounds are there any clicks/pops that kind of a thing or is it instantaneous?

Here are some thoughts to consider before you drop a grand:

1. it's gigantic. the other maschines are not.

2. it requires an AC unit. the other maschines are bus-powered.

3. it provides zero, yes ZERO new features beyond what you get with the other maschines. all of its 'improvements' are relegated to functionality: colors on screens, what can be viewed from the hardware graphically, interfacing workflow stuff. that's all cool, sure, but just remember: you're paying a grand and it can't actually DO anything that the other maschines can't.

personally I think it's overkill. I think it should have contained it's own version of Komplete Audio 1 audio interface, for this price point. That would have been a more interesting package. But 1,000 dollars for a controller that basically just provides further graphical context to what's going on in the software? no thanks.

I would never get a controller so expensive, at that price point i would get some hardware like the elektron octatrack (almost same price if you look for it used).
dedication to flying

mholloway wrote:Here are some thoughts to consider before you drop a grand:

1. it's gigantic. the other maschines are not.
It really is.

It's in the window of my local music shoppe, and I was taken aback by how big it was. It actually borders on ridiculously big.

If you buy it, you may have to rearrange your studio to accommodate it.

Also, I can't help but think that NI will, sooner rather than later, jump into the DAW market. Everything feels like it's leaning that way; their forays into hardware, the Solid Mix Series effects, Maschine 2.0..... They may be setting the stage with the rather gigantic footprint of Maschine Studio for a more robust piece of hardware with faders, audio ins and outs, and an internal hard drive as well as drum pads and transport controls, for use with their DAW.

This is obviously wishful thinking.

Also, it's probably not right around the corner. There's no point in putting your creativity on hold, waiting for the perfect last piece of the puzzle to be released. It sounds like the OP would work well with Maschine Studio.

I say "buy it!" :)
"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." - Carl Jung

If you can afford it, get it! And enjoy it! :)

Thanks folks..More replies are welcome (especially from studio owners).

I just discovered today that you don't have real-time time stretching? seriously?? :roll:

One more thing I'm very VERY interested in: How it compares to Live's clip-based functionality. You know, the clips and scenes workflow, where I can change scenes in sync with the tempo (i.e. next scene will be played in the next bar, or whatever). I played with Live intro that came with my sequencer, and I don't think I've had that much fun in a while.

Just placed an order...wooohhooo you guys suck at being an anti-GAS agent. :D

You are going to love it

keyman_sam wrote:Just placed an order...wooohhooo you guys suck at being an anti-GAS agent. :D
Little did ye know we was workin' for the other side the entire time. :D

Muhahahahaha!

I bet you're really gonna dig it. Please post your impressions of it once you've played around with it a bit.
"The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." - Carl Jung

stroker_ace wrote:
keyman_sam wrote:Just placed an order...wooohhooo you guys suck at being an anti-GAS agent. :D
Little did ye know we was workin' for the other side the entire time. :D

Muhahahahaha!

I bet you're really gonna dig it. Please post your impressions of it once you've played around with it a bit.
Darn these double-crossin' meddling kids :D

Well, it arrived the VERY NEXT day. And I'm having a grreat time.

First Impressions:
- Its soo shiny and beautiful (white)! Yes, now my studio is more cramped but I'll get used to it.
- Not THAT steep a learning curve as I feared. Once I understood the layout of sounds x 16->groups x 8 --> patterns --> scenes I felt comfortable.
- Grrr...don't like the fact that patterns default to 1 bar. Everytime I have to set it to 4. I don't like the behavior that if I scroll the jogwheel left of the current scene, it goes to the previous scene. I'd like to stay in the current scene. Also I miss a 'rewind' button (as opposed to 'restart' button which immediately starts playing).
- Sounds are excellent (so far just browsing the sounds in the demo projects) and integration with the Komplete collection is very good. Kontakt is missing in the list, oddly enough.
- Sequencer is very nice - quantize, metronome, event editor, all within the touch of a button. Hmmm the hardware days. Remember the roland mc-50 mk2 anyone?
- Integration with VST plugins suck, unfortunately. Not even a small snapshot of what the plugin looks like or ability to browse through patches (understandably). Guess I'll just have to use the monitor for that.
- sampler is nice especially for an 'on-the-fly' render

So far I'm really lovin' it. I don't think I would have been happier with Mk2 or mikro. I definitely dig the 2 screens and the jogwheel and the dedicated buttons. Now I just gotta learn this thing in and out and up my skills to get the best out of this thing.

In regards to default pattern length; you can change that in one of the options in preferences.

And there is a way to get your own images etc to show up for plugins in both the software, and the hardware... I would advise you to join maschinetutorials.com for a month or so (I think it costs $9.99 a month) to get up to speed. Its very informative, and Stjoe will go out of his way to help you with any problems you have. He also provides a template with the png's etc you need for the plugin image mods...

To get your own plugs to show up in the browser load it up, and then save it as a user preset. You can then tag it to your liking and start building your own catalogue of non NI plugs to browse... Laborious i know, but I'm sure you'll be better at it than I am in no time :)
Any other probs i can help with let me know, but bear in mind, I don't have the Studio....YET!!! :troll:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”