Studio one

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Andywanders wrote:
I find this behaviour doubly strange considering the S1 programmers (or at least some of them) used to work for Steinberg.
I thought it was Cakewalk they jumped ship from
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I thought it was steiny.

Cakewalk is responsible for Sonar. They were backed by Roland but Gibson of guitar fame has just taken over the reins of cakewalk. I think it's a good thing.
Craig Anderton is the Gibson magic dude and writes and reviews for Sound on Sound. If memory serves me correctly, he quite likes Sonar X3. That bodes well for Sonar.
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

hibidy wrote:I thought it was steiny.
Wikipeadia says you are correct
Amazon: why not use an alternative

werp wrote:Cakewalk is responsible for Sonar. They were backed by Roland but Gibson of guitar fame has just taken over the reins of cakewalk. I think it's a good thing.
Craig Anderton is the Gibson magic dude and writes and reviews for Sound on Sound. If memory serves me correctly, he quite likes Sonar X3. That bodes well for Sonar.
Gibson has stated that they are going to be "hands off" with Cakewalk. Which maybe a good thing. And maybe not. As for C.A. He hasn't worked any magic with gibson so far. Sometimes I think he just sits on his laurels and watches the world pass by.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

LawrenceF wrote:
You get 30 days to use most things for free. Why buy anything that's "not ready"? It happens so often that I get the distinct impression that either some people like being unhappy and/or are just too lazy to really test an application before they pay for it.
Hey all! I've been perusing this forum forever and never posted. I wanted to comment on this thread though, so here I am.

I kind of disagree with you. I don't think every limitation is always apparent right off the bat. For example, the situation with the midi clock. This isn't something I ever considered when I purchased Studio One. I don't currently use any Hardware Sequencers, so this is not something I've ever considered. However, I've been considering buying one for quite sometime. Had I bought one recently, I would soon discover this issue and be ripping my hair out!

30 Days is not always enough. This is why I really love Reapers demo policy (Renoise has a similar policy, although not nearly as open, but equally fair). Because there demo never really expires and doesn't sacrifice functionality, you get plenty of time to really dive in and test it's limits. This isn't something I can say with many other programs.

That being said, I love S1. The 30 days was plenty enough time for me to see that I was getting what I wanted. I bought S1 for the way it deals with general audio, which I think it does brilliantly. My current setup is using Renoise rewired into S1, with Maschine running as a VST. I bought studio one to deal with audio, not to run it as a brilliant midi host. I tend to do most of my writing inside of Renoise to be honest. Unless I'm starting with audio first (I'm a bass player first, and an electronic hobbyist second), than I start in S1.

I used Reaper for about 5 years, and I have no real complaints with it. It's great software. I finally decided I hadn't really used anything else other than Cubase SX3 years ago and I wanted to try something new, so I gave S1 a try. I really liked the workflow and the included fx (hate the instruments) and so I bought it. I found it easy to get things going and I stuck with it. I've only been using it for about 6 months, so it's possible that I won't be satisfied in the end. I really debated heavily between it and Ableton, but the student discount policy I thought was better one S1's end. No limitations like, "Can't be used for commercial purposes." Just a generalized discount. As far as I know my version of S1 is a fully functional version with no difference in licensing.

I will be trying out the demo to Bitwig. My interest is peaked. Love the idea that I could use it in a Linux environment. When it is finally released I will be giving the demo a look.

As far as the original post: jesus christ, version 2 only came out on October 18, 2011! It isn't even 3 years old! You already feel like it's been abandoned? Give it some time, jesus! It takes time for good software to develop. And in that time they've had huge updates!

I feel like good things are ahead for this program. The acquisition of Notion to me was a smart move. The midi complaints are understandable, but I see no reason that many of them won't be dealt with in Version 3. Obviously no guarantee's. But I think Presonus's goal is for S1 to compete with Pro Tools and Cubase, not Ableton Live. I think they want to be a truly professional DAW. That's why I think they bought Notion. My professor's at school don't even consider a DAW without a Notation editor. I know that sounds weird, but they consider it an absolute must in a Pro DAW. I think that they're not alone in this as strange as it sounds. A lot of those in education think it's preferable to work on a staff to a piano roll. I don't know, just my 2 cents.

LawrenceF wrote: You get 30 days to use most things for free. Why buy anything that's "not ready"? It happens so often that I get the distinct impression that either some people like being unhappy and/or are just too lazy to really test an application before they pay for it.
It is the search for that magic elixir that will make a person want to start up their DAW and play music. Here is what I think happens. Your DAW has deficiencies. New DAW has other deficiencies. After using new DAW for a few weeks, the elation from solving your long-standing problems with original DAW is replaced by disappointment with deficiencies in new DAW as they become more glaring.

Add in the taglines and it gets worse. This one is the industry standard. This one is predominant in Europe. This one is the most simple to use. This one is the most flexible. This one is used by Hollywood composers. This one is the industry standard for MIDI. That one is too buggy. That one has upgrade fees that are too high. That one does not get upgraded enough. That one works best or only on X brand of computer. You'll fit in with this one.

That was the case for a long time with me. I'd get so frustrated trying to get all the crap to work I'd just give up. Now, I'm not in that boat and I don't feel as "musical" as I did. "isn't it ironic......don't ya think?" :hihi:

Garmonbozia wrote: As far as the original post: jesus christ, version 2 only came out on October 18, 2011! It isn't even 3 years old! You already feel like it's been abandoned? Give it some time, jesus! It takes time for good software to develop. And in that time they've had huge updates!
Absolutely this! :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

You know what I do while debating a new daw? Ask people what they think about it in a forum. Then I actually put together acid tests to see what the daw does and doesn't do. When something doesn't work I ask people who are often kind enough to post solutions to my problem. Because sometimes it's not the daw, its just the way I did or didn't do something or it's a quirk that contacting someone I can find the solution rather then banging my head against the wall.

Even though I didn't buy Studio One I did test it. I was impressed overall but in a situation that may have been isolated to me a show stopper occured. It may not happen to a million and one users. But I don't buy stuff that doesn't work hoping it will work later.

I missed a few small things with mixcraft. Not the end of the world stuff. But it passed 98 percent of my acid tests with flying colors. I didn't have to wait 15 or 30 days to decide.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Alfalfa wrote:It is the search for that magic elixir that will make a person want to start up their DAW and play music.
That's true. And the "intuitive" word causes a good bit of cross drama. What's intuitive to one guy is not so intuitive to another, and vice versa. It really depends on what your expectations are.

I can look at most any workstation laid out in a more conventional way and find my way around the basics in a few short minutes. You always have to dig deeper for the more complex functions, mostly because there's no continuity to naming conventions. Complex functions that kinda do the same things are literally often named and approached quite different in different products... so you kind of have to seek them out.

But for the basics, getting started recording midi and audio, most of that is pretty obvious in most of them. But... of course... if you've never used Ableton or Tracktion, some of all that may not be that obvious at first. You can't really "intuit" something that works in a way you've never really worked before.

But anyone who's ever used a tape deck and a mixer can probably get going with Cubase, PT, etc, etc, in a few minutes. The tricky initial part (for the basics) is learning how they make you setup the audio / midi hardware.

I mean, there's nothing particularly intuitive to me with how Tracktion uses busses / auxes. I eventually figured it out but it doesn't work anything like (for setting those up and managing them along the way) what I'm used to.

I do think people very often confuse ... "easy to learn (for most) or easy once you learn it"... with... "intuitive".
Last edited by LawrenceF on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

The guys that program Studio One are the guys that did the hard core programming of Cubase.

S1 even has a cubase import function. Not sure how well it works. I have been meaning to test it for a while. My cubase projects are well old now, but it would be nice to get them hooked up in S1. Would be quite something actually.

You can tell that S1 is heavily based on cubase if you ever used it a lot. I think anyway imho. But you can also see the bits they stole from Logic (not much) and Ableton (more than people realise - zooming and panning for one). But that's all good.

I love Studio One. The support is shit, but let's face it, the support is shit from everyone these days - every single big company is arrogant in this department. But it has a great little community - not so much the forum, though there are a few stalwarts there, our mighty LawrenceF being one of them. But there are a few that do some blinding tutorials. Like that Samplitude dude, whatsisname? http://www.youtube.com/user/kraznet - that's him. He posts here sometimes too at KVR.

And that is all you need really. Programmers cracking on with programming. A few very well versed and generous individuals that like to share. So, Ok, Presonus take 3 days to get back to you and play the dumb blonde, I'm sorry I don't know what you mean type of thing. But hey, they are a big company. And big companies do not offer support in 2014, so eat it up.

I don't really care, I can figure it out for myself, with a little help from my friends. The program is a masterpiece though. I probably use it least of all out of my DAWs though.

Why?

Here we go again:
EnergyXT2: Naughty little g/f who don't love you back, but she's fast and dangerous. You know you shouldn't and it really does bite you on the arse, but hey, like Kipling said 'a fool must follow his natural bent'.

Ableton: Just too stable and too advanced to ignore. Probably my main DAW. I don't even use 9. I like 8. It is a bit faster on my system. The sound quality is pristine as long as you don't use those shitty time-stretching algos. I love it more and more every day. She's my new g/f ;-).

Reaper: Still gets used when I need some special relief that only it can provide. I am seeing how far I can take this metaphor. Don't stop me now. She provides best service. In fact, it says on her calling card 'Servicing the elite consumer since 2004'. I like it when they make me feel special. Seriously though, it is a great piece of software. They have taken it in a strange direction. It's kinda kinky even, but hey, kinky is good sometimes. For those times when nothing else will do.

But if it is good enough for Dom and Roland, it's good enough for me.
http://darkartmasters.tumblr.com/post/5 ... dom-roland

FLStudio: Love it. Like the French language apparently, easy to pick up a bit, but hard to master. Not very good support either, but they are responsive so I won't slag them. I think I made the point that they waste their time with time wasters that cry about how to use the limiter plugin. And those of us that actually whilst not beta testing as such, provide detailed and accurate and pertinent debugging info are kept in that 3 day limbo. And then asked the dumb blonde question as a get out clause - did you try switching it off and on again? Another one of the companies that proves my point. They are all at it. But I love the little Belgian buggers really. Lot of fun. So much you can do. And it is a great rewire/vst compliment to your normal host. I tried to make it my main DAW for a good while. I bought her flowers, wined and dined her. But she said 'non, monsieur', not tonight Josephine. Her loss. It could have been a beautiful relationship.

Podium: Nice software. Beautiful GUI. Best fully functional free DAW on the planet. Fritz is a good guy. I would really like to see him develop and take this DAW further. I like to use it for knocking out 2 and 4 bar loops. Delicious interface.
Best looking girl of the lot, but like most of the best looking girls, she doesn't put out enough for my liking. :-) If she did, I'd drop all the others in a heartbeat.

I think I'll stop now.

If I had a serious message at all, it's that there is lots of competition for attention.

If I was doing serious production with songs and singers and stuff, Studio One would be at the top of the list. It subscribes to that classic 'arrange page' paradigm that is familiar to so many. Though enough people find it to be quite unstable. I have punished it and it has always behaved very well for me.

Anyway, I don't even know what this thread is supposed to be about. It just says Studio One. I'm very fond of it, and I thank those that do the programming and those that take the time to provide the excellent free utilities and tutorials for it. Just some random thoughts really.

codec_spurt wrote:S1 even has a cubase import function. Not sure how well it works. I have been meaning to test it for a while. My cubase projects are well old now, but it would be nice to get them hooked up in S1. Would be quite something actually.
Work pretty well. It imports Steinberg track archives (Steinberg *.xml) but it doesn't bring plugins or anything with it, only midi and audio regions.

Oddly enough, the lower level versions of Cubase don't even do that, import those files.

Anyway, it's just another workstation. Some will love it, some will hate it, and some will be in the middle. It's never any other way with any of them.

Andywanders wrote:
If you start Studio One from the beginning of the song, no problem. However, if you start the song from anywhere else (halfway through a measure - beat 3 of bar 1 for example), Thesys STILL starts from the beginning and continues playing out-of-sync with the rest of the song.
And another thing if you hook up FLStudio with it, it is out by a bar or two consistently. Major bug, been noted by many that try to work with these two programs together. Can't remember if it is a rewire or vst problem now. Not sure if it has been fixed. Everyone that reported the problem was ignored/blanked.

You use fruity loops with our meisterwerk? Ah, fools, kind of thing.

Quite a lot of companies seem to dislike image line for some reason, or their plugins at least. Shame. They are as good as any one else. And companies that look down on them or disregard them look like fools. Gol is no more or less of an arsehole than any other genius developer, but he can code some of the best plugins on the planet bar none. And a lot of people use those plugins. A lot. Why not be professional and keep personal stuff out of it, if in fact, that is what it is, I don't know. It's just an impression I get. Maybe being the most pirated DAW on the planet used by the most 'producahs' 'making beatz' doesn't help.

Anyway, just a little niggle. There are ways around it. But what would have taken you 20 seconds now takes you five minutes to achieve the same effect. And you just give up in the end. Anyway, it wasn't the problem, it was the arrogant and wilfull dismissal of the subject. Moi? Monsieur? Oh non non non...

Just speak up. Say yes we know it's a problem. We aren't going to fix it. We don't know how to fix it. We would like to fix it but Gol is an arrogant so and so so we don't want to deal with him. Or even, we are arrogant so and sos and we don't want you sullying our product with bloody fruity loopers fer chrissakes.

Anything. Something. But somehow they have been advised that staying shtum is a good PR/Marketing move. It angers people. It is a little thing that gets blown out of all proportion. Good PR/Marketing is as much damage limitation as anything. Anyway, they know best. They are the kings. The arrogant kings of it all. There is a massive diconnect with the emotional attachment people place on their DAWs and the way they are treated like mug punters by the manufacturers. But it's not just Presonus guilty of this.

Anyway. What a rant. All cause FLStudio can't sync properly with Studio One, and no one at Presonus admitted there even was a problem. Then again, I would have contacted image-line about it, but what do you think they would have said? Exactly.

It's not even a show-stopper. Whatever.

LawrenceF wrote:
codec_spurt wrote:S1 even has a cubase import function. Not sure how well it works. I have been meaning to test it for a while. My cubase projects are well old now, but it would be nice to get them hooked up in S1. Would be quite something actually.
Work pretty well. It imports Steinberg track archives (Steinberg *.xml) but it doesn't bring plugins or anything with it, only midi and audio regions.

Oddly enough, the lower level versions of Cubase don't even do that, import those files.

Anyway, it's just another workstation. Some will love it, some will hate it, and some will be in the middle. It's never any other way with any of them.
The midi and audio regions is good enough for me.

Don't quite understand what you mean about the 'lower level versions of Cubase' not doing that.

As for the love/hate/indifference thing, are there any bases there you didn't cover? :-)

My cubase files are very early - 3.7 and cubase 5 I think. They are on floppies anyway.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”