Sequencing synths of the last few years...?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Over the years I've owned and sold a Novation Nova Desktop, RM1x, Korg ESX-SX1, Virus T1 v1 - and I think that was it, in terms of hardware synthsesis and sequencing (still got an ESi-32 w/zip drive (!), a Bitstream 3x and a herd of softsynths)

After a few years of softsynths - and losing track of hardware releases due to focus on other matters away from the studio (I was shocked to discover life on the outside), I would like to return to an all in one sequencing hardware synth, pref. with sampling/sample import capability.

So my question is, what have I missed? I'm aware of Elektron's products (Octatrack, AnalogFour etc), Radikal Technologies Spectralis 2 and Accelerator.

What's out there? Would love to hear your thoughts - would need loads of modulation possibilities, loads of editing capability, loads of psychedelic programming potential (oboe and bagpipe based workstation arranger synths need not apply).

Max spend would be £1.5k but that would be my absolute limit. Would love to hear about some of the lesser known gems...looking forward to your suggestions...

Just to add, would like to be able to program at home then take the unit/s out to perform (not that I ever have but just in case I ever have the opportunity).

The MicroBrute has a basic sequencer (no slide -_- "full function" my ass Arturia), but somehow I don't think that's what you're looking for.

The OP-1 has sequencers and sampling capability (6 seconds on a sound that is pitched up and down the keyboard, 12 seconds on the drum oriented sampler). You can also sample sounds from FM radio, and have 4 6 minute tracks on the Tape. Makes resampling for wild sounds pretty easy.

Neither has "loads of modulation" though. The OP-1 has a single envelope and single LFO, the MicroBrute the same (with a patchable mod matrix).

Tbh, an Octatrack with single cycle waves (or zooming in to one in whatever samples you like) is really hard to beat for what you're wanting.
Meh.

Arturia BeatStep 8)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”