BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

a absolut favourit !!!
The good old 80s never come back
a old FLStudio nerd

Hi all. Right now I have no time to answer all the posts (I will - later), but now - uploading a quick fix I finished Sunday night:
http://www.graywolf2004.net/files/BlueARP_v1.14b45.zip

Main change - bugfix with Cubase (tested in SX3, 32 bit), some minor fixes for pattern chaining.

I got 2 email reports for bluearp not working with Cubase, someone mentioned here also as I remember. Symptoms are:
- Bluearp opens up in Cubase, when you hit play it runs, but it doesn't get any input notes from host
- When you try to route MIDI track to bluuearp's midi in, you can't do it, bluearp appears to have no midi in

I spent 4 hours on this and almost went crazy - but the reason was plain simple - I didn't call wantEvents() call inside Resume() call. So now it works, may be the reason for the same issue with other hosts. FL Studio doesn't care about this call, Cubase does, since Cubase is more strictly aligned with VST specification, no wonder.
I want to examine my code more carefully for alignment with VST specification. But time, time. And plans to migrate my code to make x64 version...

Anothert thing - I'm in the middle of creating FL performance showing new features, which is more like a groove construction kit, where a bass line and a sequence can be selected independently and combined. Great fun also )

+99 for 64bit. :tu:

Hi there,
I am using Cubase VST 5.1 & simply cannot work out how to integrate BlueARP with it, even after intensive web search, so any advice would be gratefully received.
Many thanks,
Paul.

HiEnergy wrote:+99 for 64bit. :tu:
Yes, this is quickly becoming an indispensable tool so when I go 64 bit I'd really like to keep using it.

Thanks for all your hard work on this, Oleg, and thanks to satYatunes for the very nice re-skins. :tu:
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

Oleg, I actually have a FR and that is I wonder if you could think about ways to make the velocity function continuous or at least have it go in smaller increments. Right now the increments are big enough that they can be too extreme for some instruments, like for instance some pianos really need to have more subtle velocity changes in some cases.

Another great thing would be if velocity could be randomized with control over the range of randomization. Adjustable humaniztion of timing might be a nice feature too. This is stuff that can be added after the fact by many DAW's or by additional plug-ins but it would add to the versatility of BlueArp if humanization were included.

This arp is becoming so versatile that it is starting to become a rhythmic phrase machine as much or more than a simple traditional arp, so any features that can make it sound a little less mechanical and more "organic" would just expand its possible applications.

If you really want to get ambitious you could add a strum option to the chord step type. It would just require a stagger function with user variable timing as the chord notes are triggered, and then an alternation between up and down note order for each chord block. That would automatically create a rudimentary strumming effect.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

paulus211 wrote:Hi there,
I am using Cubase VST 5.1 & simply cannot work out how to integrate BlueARP with it, even after intensive web search, so any advice would be gratefully received.
Many thanks,
Paul.
Try to make it with any other arp - Kirnu, Catanya or Cthulhu (refer to the manuals, google for howtos). If it works with any of these arps, should work with bluearp too.
Also I have a good howto on midi routing in major DAWs, will post it later (it's on my home PC, now writing from a tablet)

A.M. Gold wrote:Oleg, I actually have a FR and that is I wonder if you could think about ways to make the velocity function continuous or at least have it go in smaller increments...
What I can do for sure - is fine velocity increments, shouldn't be hard to implement. I don't want it to be default behaviour, so I'll make a setting in ini file or a checkbox.

All Good news - I migrated my code to the latest delphi, so now it's possible to go for 64 bit (maybe even for MAC - in the future). It took me half a day to fix all the errors, but overall it wasn't that difficult as I expected. At least 32 bit version compiles fine and seems to work OK, 64 bit version compiles but crashes right in the start. I don't know how long will it take to fix it, but probably next release will be 32 + 64 bit.
Last edited by graywolf2004 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for all the work you've done on Blue Arp, Oleg, it's fantastic! I've written songs I could never have written before, using it.

Have you considered (or do you already have) a user area where we can upload our own custom arps to your site, and you can then add them all to the latest release of Blue Arp? I expect there must be hundreds of people out there who have made custom arps in it, it would be nice if we could all share them.

graywolf2004 wrote:…now it's possible to go for 64 bit (maybe even for MAC - in the future).
Yoohoo! Mac! :hyper:

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Blue is just getting better and better! thanks again!
"..What is simple, is simply seen.."

graywolf2004 wrote:
A.M. Gold wrote:Oleg, I actually have a FR and that is I wonder if you could think about ways to make the velocity function continuous or at least have it go in smaller increments...
What I can do for sure - is fine velocity increments, shouldn't be hard to implement. I don't want it to be default behaviour, so I'll make a setting in ini file or a checkbox.

Great, that will really help is using it with acoustic sampled instruments where you want more subtle dynamics. Another idea might just be some kind of dynamic pass-through where if you trigger it with live midi input, it will allow note velocity to be set based on keyboard input instead of being set rigidly by the plug-in. Thanks also for working to get it ready fro 64 bit---it's a great tool that should not be stuck in the age of 32 bit.

Good news: 64 bit version is out!
http://www.graywolf2004.net/files/BlueARP_v1.15b1.zip
(x86 & x64 verions inside)

Changes:
1. Adjustable semitone range (MENU -> GUI Settings) for more friendly touchscreen operation
2. Fine velocity adjustments (MENU -> GUI Settings), off by default
3. Skins moved to separate file, it will be easier to add new skins
4. Adjusted default color scheme - dimmed colors a little bit, less contrast
5. Reworked factory bank
6. Still some gui optimisations

graywolf2004 wrote:Good news: 64 bit version is out!
wow! thank you for this awesome arp! :hail:
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

x64! Now we're talking.

Thank you for your time and efforts for this.
IMO, BlueArp is just so much more versatile than KIRNU.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Instruments”