Logic NFR with Dev Program

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I read somewhere in this forum (couldn't find that post though) that by joining the Apple Developper Program I would gain access to a NFR copy of Logic to test my AU plugins with.
I therefore paid the required $99 to enroll but unfortunately I can't seem to find the download anywhere.
Could a fellow dev please point me out the required steps ?

Thank a lot

Lorcan

I'm not aware of any such policy of getting an NFR copy of Logic for being an Apple dev. At least not in the two years I've been one.

Besides, that's what AULab is for.

Thanks, I did test with AU Lab but I'm afraid that's not enough in terms of optimizing user experience, finding Logic specific glitches/bugs. Ideally I would have liked to be able to test my plugins with previous versions of Logic too to ensure compatibility.
I do swear I saw one or several posts mentioning Apple providing at least a pre-release copy of Logic for AU developpers.
I hope I wasn't dreaming, otherwise for me it means I just threw $99 out of the window :(
Should have double checked before ...

I agree, testing AUs in Logic is definitely important for optimizing user experience.

You do get two tickets for contacting Apple tech directly with your dev account though, so maybe ask and see what their policy is on it. And if it's a no-go, perhaps a refund? :shrug:

Yes, thanks again. I was indeed thinking of contacting them .. but I wanted to ask here first before using up a support ticket. Plus they might refuse to refund me if I use a ticket.

There was some talk of a developer version of Logic X that includes sandboxing. I'd like to hear if anybody knows any more about how to get hold of that too. I ended up buying the Logic X I test on.

Apple expects developers to use Garageband X (free) when testing plugins on 10.9. If a plugin works in GB X (which is sandboxed) it should also work in Logic X.

Please continue to test and deploy your sandbox-safe plugins with GarageBand X, which is now sandboxed, 64-bit, and Mavericks-only. It is available for free on the Mac App Store.

Please refer toTN2247 and TN2157 for instructions on making your plugins compatible with a sandboxed GarageBand X. These are a living documents and are updated periodically based on your feedback.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac ... index.html

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Ah liquidsonics, thanks for confirming I wasn't completely dreaming ;)
As you can probably imagine I'd really prefer not needing to buy Logic just for testing purposes.
I'm just an one man shop with no products released yet, so money is really tight.
I've already bought Cubase, Wavelab and Reaper, got NFR ProTools, plus various free hosts to test with (Live Lite, Samplitude Silver, Garage Band) or demos. Plus with only a 2009 mac mini here I've no intention of using Logic for anything other than testing

Thanks Andy, I did see those notes. I was just worried that people with older versions of Logic might run into bugs that might not show up in GarageBand (32bit Carbon view-related stuff etc).
Also I suppose Logic has more advanced features such as automation modes etc. which I would not be able to validate.

Even if you were able to obtain an NFR for Logic - possible with the right contacts - it would be Logic X only since (AFAIK) Logic 9 is no longer supported and therefore Apple would not provide a license.

So for Logic 9 I think the only route would be to find a 2nd hand copy for sale.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

OTOH, you can get the Logic 9 Express disks pretty cheap these days in the Market Place forum (Logic X is not an update, but a whole new purchase; be sure to get the Logic 9's serial number too). Logic 9 Express and GarageBand X should suffice to cover most users.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Apple expects developers to use Garageband X (free) when testing plugins on 10.9. If a plugin works in GB X (which is sandboxed) it should also work in Logic X.

Please continue to test and deploy your sandbox-safe plugins with GarageBand X, which is now sandboxed, 64-bit, and Mavericks-only. It is available for free on the Mac App Store.

Please refer toTN2247 and TN2157 for instructions on making your plugins compatible with a sandboxed GarageBand X. These are a living documents and are updated periodically based on your feedback.

Peace,
Andy.
OK I can work with this. Does anybody know how to raise the security settings once GarageBand has asked you to lower them on account of loading an unsandboxed plugin? I've not worked out how to raise them again.

It's encouraging to see this feature, having an option to be unsafe should be handy, the prospect of losing support for old AUs not seeing an update isn't great, plus I imagine stuff like the UAD will struggle to get sandbox support since it needs such low level system interaction.

liquidsonics wrote:Does anybody know how to raise the security settings once GarageBand has asked you to lower them on account of loading an unsandboxed plugin? I've not worked out how to raise them again.
Open Terminal and type:

Code: Select all

defaults delete com.apple.audio.SandboxHelper
You can’t just delete the file in ~Library/Preferences because plist are cached in Mavericks. Use defaults instead.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Apple expects developers to use Garageband X (free) when testing plugins on 10.9. If a plugin works in GB X (which is sandboxed) it should also work in Logic X.

Peace,
Andy.
The first of these links talks about adding temporary-exception.files.all.read-write to the plist. Is there any value in doing this? I assume sandbox safe means that no such exceptions are required, and requesting this exception would just require lowering the security settings the same as if this is omitted.

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”