What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

User avatar
KVRian
 
1058 posts since 14 Mar, 2013, from Germany

Postby CableChannel; Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:56 am Re: released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

simpli.cissimus wrote:I am very, very surprised that this effect was made with synthedit.
Didn't know that it can be so powerful in the hands of the right man.
Usually I avoid vst's made with such software...

VSO-effects are a big exception


absolutely +1
|
|
| Win7 64 bit | Cubase7.0.6 64 bit
|
User avatar
KVRian
 
1264 posts since 9 Apr, 2002, from Poissy, France
    

Postby carrieres; Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:03 am Re: released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

synthmaker not synthedit
Last edited by carrieres on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Tp3
KVRian
 
1442 posts since 7 Feb, 2007

Postby Tp3; Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:13 am Re: released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

SCprogfan wrote:...several tracks of rumbling synth sounds that had a lot of low-mid craziness that was hard to tame. Usually I use some combination of EQ and Sanford Bass Tightener on that kind of stuff, but I have now inserted SlickHDR on 5 or 6 tracks with great results

Results can vary. it can still sound nasty if the craziness is overbearing.
OTOH, Bootsie warns against such extreme cases... (in my case, a few tracks of Microtonic with deep-as-the-dead-sea sub-bass rumbling).
"Remember the ClockWOrKalypse - the day it was substituted with Arturia's BeatStep"
User avatar
KVRist
 
76 posts since 9 Feb, 2013

Postby SCprogfan; Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:52 am Re: released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

Tp3 wrote:Results can vary. it can still sound nasty if the craziness is overbearing.


True, which was the problem I was having. Layering several things and letting them start to go out of control too much! In combination with EQ and other things, Slick has been very good as an extra helping hand with those problem areas. I have another piece just in the beginning stages, where I plan to try and use it more by itself just to see what it does.
User avatar
KVRian
 
1278 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:53 am Re: released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

carrieres wrote:synthmaster not synthedit

probably synthmaker/flowstone, not synthmaster :-)
From Russia with love
User avatar
KVRian
 
1264 posts since 9 Apr, 2002, from Poissy, France
    

Postby carrieres; Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:54 am Re: released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

yes, sorry my bad
Image
KVRAF
 
1638 posts since 10 Feb, 2008, from Berlin, Germany

Postby Nokenoku; Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:13 pm Re: released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

This plugin is absolutely great for people, who like mixing without knowing, what they're doing.
KVRist
 
52 posts since 4 Apr, 2006

Postby pc2000; Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:59 pm Re: released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

Burillo wrote:
pc2000 wrote:I've noticed that some plugins simply don't sound their best in every DAW or program.

sorry but that's hogwash.


Perhaps that's hogwash to you personally because of your 0 and 1's mindset. My hearing is acute and I do things to minimize ear fatigue when creating music or mixing, so I'm speaking from the standpoint of what I can actually hear. Some host don't process certain plugins the same which affects their sound. There are plugins I've used in FL Studio for example ( I have many DAWS) that sounded or worked great, but don't work the same or correctly in certain host.

Certain plugs I've tried in Maschine only outputs in a single channel-but works normally in other programs. Then of course...you have the issue of some crashing in certain DAWS where they don't in others. A number of variables can affect what you feel you're hearing regardless of the digital is digital arguments. Splitting hairs about something that's subjective serves no purpose. To each his own beliefs I say!
User avatar
KVRian
 
1278 posts since 15 Nov, 2006, from Hell

Postby Burillo; Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:10 pm Re: released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

pc2000 wrote:Perhaps that's hogwash to you personally because of your 0 and 1's mindset.

nope, that's hogwash because it's hogwash.

pc2000 wrote:My hearing is acute and I do things to minimize ear fatigue when creating music or mixing, so I'm speaking from the standpoint of what I can actually hear.

the problem is though, there can be a difference between what you hear and what's actually there. and it's not about mindset. relying only on your ears is a noble goal, but your ears can fool you easily. especially when you disregard the "engineering" side of "audio engineering".

pc2000 wrote:Some host don't process certain plugins the same which affects their sound. There are plugins I've used in FL Studio for example ( I have many DAWS) that sounded or worked great, but don't work the same or correctly in certain host.

Certain plugs I've tried in Maschine only outputs in a single channel-but works normally in other programs. Then of course...you have the issue of some crashing in certain DAWS where they don't in others. A number of variables can affect what you feel you're hearing regardless of the digital is digital arguments.

there is only one way to check if a plugin sounds the same - null test. if the output nulls, it sounds the same even if you "hear" differences. certain plugins can't be nulled (synths with free-running oscillators for example), but the vast majority of them can (and with those that can't, you can always try ABX test). if there really is a difference between how a plugin sounds in a host (e.g. if 1's and 0's produced by it are not the same as in another host), then it's a bug and the developer should be contacted to rectify that. but then again i don't suppose you'd be bothered doing such tests, because "your ears can't fool you", right? except when they do, of course...

pc2000 wrote:Splitting hairs about something that's subjective serves no purpose.

this matter isn't subjective. there either are differences, or there aren't. digital audio isn't some magic voodoo that's in the eye of the beholder, it's an exact science.

pc2000 wrote:To each his own beliefs I say!

it's not a matter of belief, i'm afraid.
From Russia with love
User avatar
KVRAF
 
7385 posts since 12 Mar, 2012, from South Bavaria - near the alps... :-)

Postby Tricky-Loops; Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:17 pm Re: released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

Since I use Reaper, everything sounds so morbid... :scared: :evil:
KVRist
 
95 posts since 11 Nov, 2006
 

Postby cymazic; Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:29 pm Re: released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

Tricky-Loops wrote:Since I use Reaper, everything sounds so morbid... :scared: :evil:

That's Grim :wink:
I meant to do that.
KVRian
 
1137 posts since 2 Mar, 2009, from Crossett, Arkansas, USA

Postby Agreed; Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:33 pm Re: released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

pc2000 wrote:
Burillo wrote:
pc2000 wrote:I've noticed that some plugins simply don't sound their best in every DAW or program.

sorry but that's hogwash.


Perhaps that's hogwash to you personally because of your 0 and 1's mindset. My hearing is acute and I do things to minimize ear fatigue when creating music or mixing, so I'm speaking from the standpoint of what I can actually hear. Some host don't process certain plugins the same which affects their sound. There are plugins I've used in FL Studio for example ( I have many DAWS) that sounded or worked great, but don't work the same or correctly in certain host.

Certain plugs I've tried in Maschine only outputs in a single channel-but works normally in other programs. Then of course...you have the issue of some crashing in certain DAWS where they don't in others. A number of variables can affect what you feel you're hearing regardless of the digital is digital arguments. Splitting hairs about something that's subjective serves no purpose. To each his own beliefs I say!


Those cases where plugins are handled differently in a very explicit way, like audio routing, aren't the same thing as you saying that you hear differences in plugins in different DAWs, though... But luckily the latter is really easy to clear up.

Do a null test and if it comes up different, there's a difference. If it nulls, there's no difference. Nothing to do with hearing. You can prove yourself right very easily by processing the same samples with identical settings and then seeing if the output of the one nullifies the other... If it does not, your ears aren't fooling you. If it does, your ears are still human, like the rest of you, nothing to be ashamed of. :)

I'm not suggesting you must do this for all of us, but for your own knowledge it might be helpful to see if you are correct about something that you feel to be true because you are sure you've heard it this way; hell, in a thread talking about a plugin that claims to use psychoacoustic methods to process audio... We rely, in mixing, on the ways ears can be fooled. :tu:

Nokenoku wrote:This plugin is absolutely great for people, who like mixing without knowing, what they're doing.


That seems a bit harsh... What makes you say that?
KVRist
 
52 posts since 4 Apr, 2006

Postby pc2000; Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:46 pm Re: released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

DJ Warmonger wrote:
I'm saying is that I'm using my ears more like an audio engineer would

If you use your ears, you can only judge the sound you hear.
If you use your knowledge, you can design the sound before you actually hear it. This is how engineering works.

Just my two cents.


I didn't state I solely use my ears in the process, some things don't require your life story in every statement made. I do apply knowledge as well as experience, but I didn't feel I needed to include that in my previous statements since it wasn't relevant to my point. Sometimes knowledge can have the same effect as ignorance because they both can make an ass of you. A blind man can't judge a woman by what he physically sees, but, rely on that which he feels, hears and perceives. Much like we do with music.

Ultimately, it's the sound of what you hear in the result that matters. My reference about an audio engineer was that, engineers are not using their tools in the same context that a musician would- since musicians or artist are likely looking for some dramatic in your face obvious effect. Some people in this thread are crying about what this plugin actually does and want some long drawn out syllabus on the purpose and uses. Within 5 minutes of testing the plugin with the mindset of an audio engineer, I already discovered what it can do by using my ears. I didn't need my hand to be held for that discovery!
User avatar
KVRian
 
1058 posts since 14 Mar, 2013, from Germany

Postby CableChannel; Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:38 pm Re: released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

the background color of your DAW influences your hearing. try looking out of the window and then close your eyes: you will immediately hear a difference
|
|
| Win7 64 bit | Cubase7.0.6 64 bit
|
KVRist
 
52 posts since 4 Apr, 2006

Postby pc2000; Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:14 pm Re: released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

Agreed wrote:
pc2000 wrote:
Burillo wrote:
pc2000 wrote:I've noticed that some plugins simply don't sound their best in every DAW or program.

sorry but that's hogwash.


Perhaps that's hogwash to you personally because of your 0 and 1's mindset. My hearing is acute and I do things to minimize ear fatigue when creating music or mixing, so I'm speaking from the standpoint of what I can actually hear. Some host don't process certain plugins the same which affects their sound. There are plugins I've used in FL Studio for example ( I have many DAWS) that sounded or worked great, but don't work the same or correctly in certain host.

Certain plugs I've tried in Maschine only outputs in a single channel-but works normally in other programs. Then of course...you have the issue of some crashing in certain DAWS where they don't in others. A number of variables can affect what you feel you're hearing regardless of the digital is digital arguments. Splitting hairs about something that's subjective serves no purpose. To each his own beliefs I say!


Those cases where plugins are handled differently in a very explicit way, like audio routing, aren't the same thing as you saying that you hear differences in plugins in different DAWs, though... But luckily the latter is really easy to clear up.

Do a null test and if it comes up different, there's a difference. If it nulls, there's no difference. Nothing to do with hearing. You can prove yourself right very easily by processing the same samples with identical settings and then seeing if the output of the one nullifies the other... If it does not, your ears aren't fooling you. If it does, your ears are still human, like the rest of you, nothing to be ashamed of. :)

I'm not suggesting you must do this for all of us, but for your own knowledge it might be helpful to see if you are correct about something that you feel to be true because you are sure you've heard it this way; hell, in a thread talking about a plugin that claims to use psychoacoustic methods to process audio... We rely, in mixing, on the ways ears can be fooled. :tu:

Nokenoku wrote:This plugin is absolutely great for people, who like mixing without knowing, what they're doing.


That seems a bit harsh... What makes you say that?


LOL... there's a Geek side to everything if someone wants to truly get anal about things. None of us are digital machines, so trying to quantify every little subject into minute particles is pointless especially since there are so many variables that make it mute. Ultimately, it still becomes a matter of your ears because that's what you use as a human when listening to or making music.

We are fooled in many ways that don't need to be quantified because who cares at the end of the day. Video is merely rapidly moving pictures or frames that your brain stitch together to give the allusion of fluid motion. Do you sit as you watch TV and geek out on what your brain is fooling you into believing? Do you say to yourself as you watch smut or sports that it's only frames of pictures, so why am I watching it? I mean...REALLY, you can geek out about a lot of things like whether there is any real difference between equally spec-ed digital TV's and whether your eyes are fooling you into thinking one is showing you a better picture. There are certainly geeks that can anal-ize why you think you see a better picture and various bench test that can be performed to show that from an engineering standpoint... but the reality is that your biological eyes are going to be the deciding factor, because you don't watch TV as a digital cyborg directly interfaced with the technology.

Last week, I decided to hook up my old ass, EMU ESI-2000 digital hardware sampler and test the sound difference between it and Kontakt 5 with the premise of the ESI having it's own converters imparting a type of sound compared to Kontakt. I put the same 4 bar sample of a Teddy P song in both and began my a/b test. Besides sound quality, I also tested the quality of the transposition of the samples to see if there was aliasing in the EMU which wasn't. I tested the entire octave range of the sample by alternating the same key for each sampler. I concluded from my test that it wasn't worth the hassle of using the EMU because there was no discerning difference in the sound Quality. Actually the samples sounded identical with no special mojo coming from the EMU because it's hardware. Even the filters didn't sound better!
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects