What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Is omnisphere still king?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

User avatar
osiris
KVRAF
 
7319 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:25 pm Re: Is omnisphere still king?

It doesn't take long to install, and updates (what few there's been since I've had it )are quick and very easily handled.
User avatar
osiris
KVRAF
 
7319 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:27 pm Re: Is omnisphere still king?

Maybe we should call it a synthler and leave it at that
Samplesizer?
(Dibs on that name- You have to give me a free one if you name your VST that)
BBFG#
KVRAF
 
3268 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:29 pm Re: Is omnisphere still king?

Numanoid wrote:Why has Rompler become a bad word?

Somebody has in fact listed Omnisphere in the Wikipedia page: "Popular examples of software romplers are reFX Nexus and Spectrasonics Omnisphere. In this context, a software instrument can only be considered a rompler if it restricts the user to certain bundled sounds, without allowing them to load their own samples"


I tend to agree somewhat with this. The fact that some try to make theirs the best of the best by making it something different, unique and more says more about the owner than the software. There are romplers, sample players, and samplers. I should think sample players would be getting more of this guff then the rompler/synths being kicked around here. The fact is Omnisfear was never 'King' and neither are any of the rest of them. Any belief of it being so is just a p*ssing contest. So it really comes down to features, and tastes of where the differences lie. One is subjective and the other of whether they matter or not is debatable. But that's what makes KVR spin...
SonarX3; Camel; Zebra2HZ; Iris
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
 
3779 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:41 pm Re: Is omnisphere still king?

I think if there had to be a King, it would probably be Reaktor. Or if a modular synth building environment didn't qualify, then in terms of power there are probably lots of kings, with Alchemy surely being one. Not sure if Omi would be in the Oligarchy.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
User avatar
osiris
KVRAF
 
7319 posts since 20 Nov, 2003, from Lost and Spaced

Postby osiris; Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:45 pm Re: Is omnisphere still king?

Alchemy would be the king of the UK, Omni the king of the USA...
Kontakt the Baron of Bavaria...
pdxindy
KVRAF
 
8666 posts since 2 Feb, 2005, from in the wilds

Postby pdxindy; Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:14 pm Re: Is omnisphere still king?

osiris wrote:Maybe we should call it a synthler and leave it at that
Samplesizer?
(Dibs on that name- You have to give me a free one if you name your VST that)


no no no... It's a ROMPesizer :D
Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
 
3779 posts since 12 May, 2008

Postby Echoes in the Attic; Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:48 pm Re: Is omnisphere still king?

Synthesompler.


pdxindy wrote:
no no no... It's a ROMPesizer :D


If you're going to go that way, you gotta keep the L.

Romplesizer.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.
A.M. Gold
KVRAF
 
5549 posts since 4 May, 2007, from Mars Colony

Postby A.M. Gold; Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:53 pm Re: Is omnisphere still king?

BBFG# wrote:If Omnis added sample import, they wouldn't have to cater to anyone's interest because then it would be up to each to meet their own needs or not.
As it is they do cater to interests, but then add the fact you have to cajole for it like an infant wanting sweets.


I don't see them adding import because Spectrasonics has always done their own sound sources. I'd like to see them add a deeper resynthesis architecture to their sample content, but I don't know what form that would take. I don't really know how Iris works but maybe something along the same lines. Some very ingeniously implemented way of accessing and modifying/modulating the harmonic structure of captured waveforms.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry
A.M. Gold
KVRAF
 
5549 posts since 4 May, 2007, from Mars Colony

Postby A.M. Gold; Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:54 pm Re: Is omnisphere still king?

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Synthesompler.


pdxindy wrote:
no no no... It's a ROMPesizer :D


If you're going to go that way, you gotta keep the L.

Romplesizer.


Romplestilskin?
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry
mhog
KVRist
 
310 posts since 20 Oct, 2012

Postby mhog; Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:08 pm Re: Is omnisphere still king?

gassle wrote:
mhog wrote:Omnisphere is the typical ROMpler, because inspired by the Roland D-50 (which was the first ROMpler in history, I guess). ROMpler means (well, meant?...): take a very small PCM sample (some microseconds) contained in a ROM/EPROM and generate a sound thanks to it (the "attack"). The rest is done in subtractive synthesis. Omnisphere and D50 are very similar: both have patches made of two mixable "tones" (VA and/or ROM PCM). I confirm that, I bought my D50 in 1987! Besides, I read somewhere that Persing was involved in the original D50 patches... The difference: D50 ROM was about 64 kb, not 50 GB :)


Yeah, and with that logic DX7 is an FMpler, and Waldorf PPG is a wavepler and Kawai K5000 is Sinepler... I rather call them all synthesizers.


Well, actually... yes: when you say "DX7" you mean "FM", when you say "PPG" you say "wavetable" and so on. It is the form of synthesis. D50="ROMpler" (before it did not exist). Maybe the difference is: I don't consider "ROMpler" a bad word, but just a way to indicate a form of "synthesis" (when the attack of the sound is made with microseconds time long samples). It works like this either with D50 or Omnisphere. The main result: atmospheric sounds ("sphere" stands for "atmosphere": infact Omnisphere is great for pads, soundtracks, cinematic and such).
BBFG#
KVRAF
 
3268 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Postby BBFG#; Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:20 pm Re: Is omnisphere still king?

A.M. Gold wrote:
BBFG# wrote:If Omnis added sample import, they wouldn't have to cater to anyone's interest because then it would be up to each to meet their own needs or not.
As it is they do cater to interests, but then add the fact you have to cajole for it like an infant wanting sweets.


I don't see them adding import because Spectrasonics has always done their own sound sources. I'd like to see them add a deeper resynthesis architecture to their sample content, but I don't know what form that would take. I don't really know how Iris works but maybe something along the same lines. Some very ingeniously implemented way of accessing and modifying/modulating the harmonic structure of captured waveforms.


You can import your own in Iris as well as Alchemy, Synthmaster, WusikStation, Harmor and others. In this regard, Omnisphere is sorely behind the times.
Again, you have to ask the 'parent' please and hope they will get enough requests to consider it. The rest, you just go out and sample it and import. Spectra has designed a system to make you dependent on them only. That psychology is called 'Infantilism'.
SonarX3; Camel; Zebra2HZ; Iris
User avatar
aciddose
KVRAF
 
8994 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:49 pm Re: Is omnisphere still king?

pdxindy wrote:It is a design choice not to allow it (at least up til now)... perhaps to keep the available material of a high quality, to control the market for sample based add-ons or ?


Content sales account for as much as 80% of total revenue in most cases. Most users buy the synthesizer with two or three add-ons immediately, then over time accumulate more add-ons as they are already "linked-in" to the whole system.

It would make sense to give the synthesizer away for free if there wasn't a "price = quality, obviously" psychology happening here.

Yes, control of content is absolutely the key.

New content can require new features which can force users to update to new versions including new unbroken copy protection. This requires crackers to repeat their cracks over and over, with frustrating variations every time designed so as to minimize the value of knowledge of the last version[s].

That combination of benefits is worth a lot. People do not actually care that they can't edit presets or samples as they would not go to the effort required or are in some cases incapable. So you lost that small percentage of people who wanted a full fledged synthesizer, but gained more importantly a very large group of customers who are completely uninterested in synthesizers other than for the sounds they produce and will return to make future purchases, each time increasing the value of their investment and motivation to continue to return.

Kind of like a drug dealer. You can only get what you need here, and once you do you'll keep coming back. :hihi:
Last edited by aciddose on Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gassle
KVRist
 
164 posts since 17 Jan, 2003, from LA

Postby gassle; Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:50 pm Re: Is omnisphere still king?

mhog wrote:
gassle wrote:
mhog wrote:Omnisphere is the typical ROMpler, because inspired by the Roland D-50 (which was the first ROMpler in history, I guess). ROMpler means (well, meant?...): take a very small PCM sample (some microseconds) contained in a ROM/EPROM and generate a sound thanks to it (the "attack"). The rest is done in subtractive synthesis. Omnisphere and D50 are very similar: both have patches made of two mixable "tones" (VA and/or ROM PCM). I confirm that, I bought my D50 in 1987! Besides, I read somewhere that Persing was involved in the original D50 patches... The difference: D50 ROM was about 64 kb, not 50 GB :)


Yeah, and with that logic DX7 is an FMpler, and Waldorf PPG is a wavepler and Kawai K5000 is Sinepler... I rather call them all synthesizers.


Well, actually... yes: when you say "DX7" you mean "FM", when you say "PPG" you say "wavetable" and so on. It is the form of synthesis. D50="ROMpler" (before it did not exist). Maybe the difference is: I don't consider "ROMpler" a bad word, but just a way to indicate a form of "synthesis" (when the attack of the sound is made with microseconds time long samples). It works like this either with D50 or Omnisphere. The main result: atmospheric sounds ("sphere" stands for "atmosphere": infact Omnisphere is great for pads, soundtracks, cinematic and such).


Originally Rompler was the term for devices that plays back samples but can't record samples. It wasn't the term for devices which synthesize sounds using sample oscillators instead of other kind of oscillator. In that regard you could call Proteus a rompler, but not a D50. Also apart from Sample Transients, D50 uses LA synthesis. And Omnisphere has VA oscillators.
"when you have nothing to say - shut up." -A friend of Luc Besson
User avatar
aciddose
KVRAF
 
8994 posts since 7 Dec, 2004, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby aciddose; Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:55 pm Re: Is omnisphere still king?

gassle wrote:And Omnisphere has VA oscillators.


Actually if this is how you've decided on use of the term, which is obviously incorrect, the vast majority of "VA" oscillators are in fact using wavetables identical to those used in what you'd call "ROMplers",

What is a "VA oscillator" ? Can you define this? Does it make sense to include this as a disqualifier in the definition of "ROMpler" ?

If you knew what a "VA oscillator" was you'd quickly understand it makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever.

All "ROMplers" are capable of using single cycle waveforms and effects like PWM if programmed correctly. Are you now going to describe the function of an underlying system based upon how it is programmed, what content it comes loaded with?
gassle
KVRist
 
164 posts since 17 Jan, 2003, from LA

Postby gassle; Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:57 pm Re: Is omnisphere still king?

aciddose wrote:
gassle wrote:And Omnisphere has VA oscillators.


Actually if this is how you've decided on use of the term, which is obviously incorrect, the vast majority of "VA" oscillators are in fact using wavetables identical to those used in what you'd call "ROMplers",

What is a "VA oscillator" ? Can you define this? Does it make sense to include this as a disqualifier in the definition of "ROMpler" ?

If you knew what a "VA oscillator" was you'd quickly understand it makes absolutely no sense what-so-ever.

All "ROMplers" are capable of using single cycle waveforms and effects like PWM if programmed correctly. Are you now going to describe the function of an underlying system based upon how it is programmed, what content it comes loaded with?


So now you also call all Wavetable synthesizers Romplers? :)
"when you have nothing to say - shut up." -A friend of Luc Besson
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments