LMMS project @ GitHub (Prev. Sourceforge)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I connected the lmms outs in qjackctl, to the
standalone linux rakarrck inputs, set the volume balance,
and recorded both the 'dry; lmms, and the effected
version, using timemachine. The windows vsts
were hosted by vestige inside lmms,
U-he's great Podolski synth, Drumcore, and Camel Audio's
wonderful CM Fuzz.
Cheers

Can we have an option to hide "piano roll's piano" and swap it with evenly spaced
-
C4
----
B3
A#3
A3
G#3
G3
F#3
F3
E3
D#3
D3
C#3
C3
----
B2
-

Great thing about github for those requests is you can create your own branch to try out the modifications and then there are many ways to merge back into the main.

If you're not a programmer, probably best to ask for the bug tracker / feature requests link.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

mashan wrote:Can we have an option to hide "piano roll's piano" and swap it with evenly spaced... ... B3, A#3, A3
They are evenly spaced... Are you referring to the piano graphic?

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to change this without editing these files:

Code: Select all

gui\piano_roll.cpp
gui\PianoVoll.cpp
data\themes\default\black_key.png
data\themes\default\black_key_pressed.png
data\themes\default\white_key.png
data\themes\default\black_key.png
data\themes\default\white_key_pressed.png
data\themes\default\black_key_pressed.png
data\themes\default\pr_black_key.png
data\themes\default\pr_white_key.png
data\themes\default\pr_black_key_pressed.png
data\themes\default\pr_white_key_pressed.png
data\themes\default\pr_white_key_small.png
data\themes\default\pr_white_key_small_pressed.png
As @aciddose mentioned, we invite those to grab the source from Git and introduce some of these changes (programmer or not, we have a great tutorial for this).

If you can make a good argument that particular change should take priority, please do! :)

Thank you for your reply. Where i can find the tutorial for Git? :help:

Hi tresf,

I like LMMS. I like that it opens many windows-based vst instruments without a hitch. Not everyone wants to buy an app that does that, and LMMS fills the gap.

Also, I like the Triple Oscillator synth a lot. I enjoyed putting a few demos of it on my website and it merits keeping around. (My only gripe would be be that the GUI is very small. It'd be nice to have a larger window available..)

brian
Tired of Windows? Linux offers hundreds of good distros. For more info:
DistroWatch
Some good synths for linux: www.linuxsynths.com

@brian,
My only gripe would be be that the GUI is very small. It'd be nice to have a larger window available...
Larger window for the TripleOsc specifically or for the entire application?

Thanks for the kind words and the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Here is a sneak peek of the new artwork for the Triple Osc:
-Tres

Cool! Yes, I was thinking particularly of the Triple Oscillator track.

It would also be nice to be able to open other native linux synths too. At any rate, the strength of this DAW imo is the fact that it opens Windows VSTis very nicely. (Sometimes the GUI windows seem to "slip" under the main (top and left) panels, which I think can be bothersome.)

But this DAW is kind of in a league of its own, in a certain sense. ;)

brian
Tired of Windows? Linux offers hundreds of good distros. For more info:
DistroWatch
Some good synths for linux: www.linuxsynths.com

Thanks to @John Serafino for a very nice video! John (aka LazerBlade) goes over most of the new features/artwork in the development build (so far).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7SkpK2JFE8

Also a new logo for Zyn, SF2, sfxr, LB302 courtesy Vesa and the UI team:
Image Image Image Image

-Tres

Nice to see this progress. LMMS was one of the first DAW's i used on Windows. Unfortunately, there were a few quirks why i couldn't go on using it (bugs, latency). I guess the focus lies on Linux development, which is totally understandable of course. :) Nice to see also, that it has such a nice feature to be able to host Windows VST's, which with other programs seems to be quite difficult to achieve.

I guess the focus lies on Linux development
We have a very large Windows user base as well as a 64-bit build. Looking for assistance in the Mac area too... :)

I know lmms isn't a live performance program, but is there any intention of adding such capabilities in the future? something like ableton's stem view... or at least an easy way of using lmms's effects, synths, and project settings in something like ableton? if this export feature already exists.... woops :D as for other matters... why isn't zynadd synth automatable? i haven't tried running it from vestige yet, but since it comes with the daw i figured "why should i have to cheat it to use it like that?" On a similar note, why don't all the built in synths and plugins use lmms's built in lfo/filter like the 3xosc does? these are all just things i'd like to see later down the line, i think this is by far and away the best free fl alternative because of it's ease of use and powerful built in synths! :D I look forward to it's future releases and hope to be able to continue using it to make music for years to come. thanks for the software broskies :D

tl:dr: i realise this whole thing kinda sounds like a complaint... not my intention at all :) i mean it's powerful free music software that works with linux!... here's my suggestion list for later down the line... (for the sake of simplicity.... kinda)

1. Everything IMO should go through lmms's built in LFO/filter before being sent to the fx mixer... like the 3xosc does :)
2. automatable ZYNaddsubfx please (yes i think i know why it isn't automatable... just be nice to have is all) or at least stick some more of it's parameters on the plugin's lmms gui
3. a panoramic eq (like fl's eq) currently i have a vst for this but it'd be nice to see it out of the box :)
4. some easier way to pull bits and pieces from previous projects and use them in current ones.
5. a live performance mode or live session view of some sort... some kind of live performance functionality would be amazing (i know it's for making music not performing it but i haven't seen any way to do that on linux and thought i'd ask for it here :) )
6. an arpeggiator that we can make custom sequences for (in a mini piano role)

that tl:dr was longer than i thought XD ..... your welcome :) thanks for your consideration/replies!!! :D

Thank you for the detailed list of feature requests. (not tl;dr)

Many of them are long standing requests. I personally feel the Envelope/LFO section should be grayed out for those instruments it's not yet compatible with at least until it has been corrected.

Since there is a lot of attention at GitHub now, that is the best place to ask for these.

Since we are very limited on C++ developers, any help coding these is a HUGE help.

Your comments are valuable and I'll link our project manager to them to see which features we may be able to prioritize.

-Tres

hio, me again ^^
I Had a few more requests...... [Here we go again, am i right? XD ]

Automation grouping: If i have several automation tracks associated with one instrument, i'd like to group them all together. Not just color them but actually have them "fold away" into the instrument they're assigned to. So i'd have a synth one open (for example) with several of it's parameters automated, if i wanted to access them i would hit a little arrow like button and the automation tracks for that vst track would drop down and be displayed as they are in current releases of lmms.

Show automation on top of midi tracks when hidden: expanding on the earlier idea a bit. when "hidden" the tracks would sort of merge with the instrument track they're associated with and their automation pattern would be visible over top of the midi notes,

Quick editing of midi notes through the track screen: In Ardor (let me know if i forgot what it's name was XD ) You can expand midi tracks to reveal a small piano roll. I'd love to see this in lmms too. Maybe even with automation tracks as well :D In fact the ability to zoom in vertically would be wonderful for people who can't see so well... (If this vertical zoom already exists it should be made into a button rather than a keyboard shortcut )

LFO tool for automation editor: Something to make waveforms with a specific frequency... this is also in fl studio. It's easy to mess up things like wobble bases even with the new automation editor, so an lfo tool for making patterns in automation tracks would be AMAZING :D

Pause play button in main window controls: I think there's a patch for that actually. something to play all tracks on the main window, without leaving the piano roll for example. the piano roll would keep it's solo play pause button where it is..

Visual step volume control: A window with the volumes of all the notes played in the beat baseline editor.(per track) say i have a drum and i want to make sure every other note is EXACTLY half volume... it's kinda hard to do it by scrolling :)

I hope my long explanations don't confuse things to much and that my mentioning other DAWs as a reference doesn't spark any negative emotions. Sorry all i can do at this point is add my comment on new features i'd like to see sometime down the road. I'll let you know when i have more "bright ideas" :) Thanks for your consideration!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”