Long interview/discussion on electronic music creativity!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Between the guy behind the excellent The Stomach Aches and someone else who does music who may or may not be me :)

Also, two of my tracks are there to download, including an as-yet unheard one which features non-stop wall-to-wall glitch edits (don't worry, I asked BT's permission first).

http://enooze.com/sendy

Please remember, unlike many who try to make a noise, draw attention to themselves or whatever in this sphere of electronic music, I and those I associate with are about increasing literacy and creativity in music, by sharing ideas, NOT promoting ourselves and giving nothing back like most genre demons looking to "make it big". The text was worked on on and off for a year. Please share it or say something if you enjoyed it or if you have something to add, ideas to share, etc.

Let's fight mediocrity in electronic music together! :party: :hyper: :tu:
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

It's interesting and a fun read, but I've only cracked the surface ... I should read more before commenting ... and I see you have a blog ... good idea!
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Cool, thanks for sharing, will give it a read asap!

I said I'm not about drawing attention for myself for the sole purpose of just doing that. This isn't just "hey listen to me talk about my music and me". Look, we worked on this for over a year on and off. Have you read it? Like beyond the first paragraph where I say who I am and what I do so I'm not just some disembodied contextless voice? We are sharing ideas here, and you want me to feel bad for also giving away downloads of my music in the middle of that.

And now you're trying to make me feel bad? Or like some kind of hypocrite?
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:Have you read it?
I started reading it but it's looooooooooong. I have a stack of books waiting to be read. If I am going to put that much time into reading something, I would read a book.
Sendy wrote:And now you're trying to make me feel bad? Or like some kind of hypocrite?
No, I'm not trying to make you feel bad. I deleted my original comment if that helps.

I'm pointing out that your comment sounds odd. I think you should just post your interview without this kind of self-important justification.
Last edited by Frantz on Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

That was a very enjoyable read. I find myself thinking along many of the same lines as you, in regards to playing parts by hand, sampling, glitch automation, composition through exploration, embracing randomness, using theory, and on and on. I got my first synth in 1984, and my first sampler in 1987, so perhaps some of it comes from growing up in a certain era.

My only gripe is that the blue and green text on a black background is painful to read, especially for such a lengthy conversation!

Thanks again. :)

Edit: I forgot to add that I really enjoyed the music you shared! I rarely make the time to listen to the songs people share on KVR, but I'll definitely be looking forward to your next album release.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Frantz wrote:
Sendy wrote:Have you read it?
I started reading it but it's looooooooooong. I have a stack of books waiting to be read. If I am going to put that much time into reading something, I would read a book.
Sendy wrote:And now you're trying to make me feel bad? Or like some kind of hypocrite?
No, I'm not trying to make you feel bad. I'm pointing out that comment sounds odd. I think you should just post your interview without this kind of self-important justification.
I also have books piling up. Someone lent me a book recently and expected me to read it, ha! I still read other long things that aren't books, if they're interesting enough.

Yeah, the justification thing, probably wasn't needed, point taken. Recently I just feel really weird about this kind of thing and end up overcompensating. Though I figured by lampshading it it would sort of, blend it out. Guess not :)

Sendy wrote: Yeah, the justification thing, probably wasn't needed, point taken. Recently I just feel really weird about this kind of thing and end up overcompensating. Though I figured by lampshading it it would sort of, blend it out. Guess not :)
Hmmm, "lampshading." Wonder what that is.

You want people to hear your ideas and music. Even if you aren't selling anything, it is a form of self-promotion. Embrace it. You have a good sense of humor. Find an entertaining way to get your ideas across instead of making serious, grand mission statements.

Fun read. And full of useful ideas, even for somebody like me who believes deep down that art is horrible and wrong and cheesy pop music is good and right.

Gonga - thanks! You can be sure my blog posts will be a bit more concise and less.. rambling :)

deastman - glad some of it resonated with you, and that you liked the music. Just trying to mix the accoustic bass in the second one was a nightmare. I agree about the text to be honest, but it's not my website.

Dsmolken - glad you found it interesting. Nothing wrong with cheesy pop music! As long as it isn't powered by suits :)

Frantz - no need to delete anything, as I said, you have a point, and I appreciate the feedback. I just wasn't expecting critique on my intro post because I just barfed it out in a hurry to share the actual article and tunes I'd been working on, so it caught me off guard.

Clicked the link to look and maybe read it, but that text is way to low contrast on that black background. If you are posting articles this long and expect people to read it, you should at least think about making it 'easy on the eyes'.

I really thought we had said goodbye to the 'green text CRT' idea, like a few decades ago ;)
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Thanks for trying, but like I said above, it's not my website.

http://mikrosopht.godxiliary.com/ is his main website, as you can see he has a sort of cryptic oldschool vibe going on. I like the aesthetic but I agree, it's a little bit peculiar to read.

I read it, thanks for the link, and thanks for your (continued) input in this great state of KVR. I'm posting because I realized it's nice to get some feedback, even if it's just "I saw it".

Generally, I'm really fascinated by your acute interest in the finer points of sound synthesis, and even if I don't always follow all the way (I'd still rather get stuff written and recorded than get lost in technical details), I can always pick up a tidbit of info here and some inspiration there. So, thanks!

Come to think of it, that's one of the things about electronic music that I find interesting: the clash between the music and the sound design. A lot of electronic music is low on the music part, and I really like it when the two meet successfully. Amon Tobin comes to mind... Ever since getting into this thing I've been torn between these two approaches. Sometimes, the sound design part can get so overwhelmingly fun and creative that I lose sight of the music. I record, all excited about the sounds, and then get bored to tears at the mixing stage when I realize it's all superficial, that the track depends on the sounds most of all.

It's hard to get it right, but it does generate a lot of the interesting friction that drew me to electronic music in the first place.

Enjoyed both the interview and the music!

Reading stuff like this reminds me that every one of the almost infinite aspects of music, there are almost an infinite number of ways to create it.

For me, sound synthesis, effects processing, etc, isn't something that has to compete with arrangement and composition. It inspires it. You can break open a single sound and hear the music inside. Sometimes I spend more time tweaking than writing music, but I don't stress over it, it's like a toy, a form of entertainment.

I've spent more time in Zebra playing with sounds than I have using it in tracks, though it gets used semi-often. Playing with sound with no pressure to turn it into anything or fix it into a song (at which point it becomes a bit more stressful, to be honest, because the pressure is on to make it as good as possible) is often my equivalent of a walk in the part to recharge my batteries. And being in awe at the universes of sound I explore inspires me to write music that incorporates some of those sounds. It also creates a world in my head, which is really important IMO.

Amon tobin - I've always preferred his earlier stuff. When he got into that crazy foley and sound design stuff, it lost me a bit. As much as I love sound design, there has to be something in the arrangement that straps you in and drags you along for the ride. I get that most from his album Supermodified, and the ones before and after that, and less from his more recent stuff.

I totally agree that it all can get very superficial. This is true for sound design, beat editing, glitching and other techniques. Though my tolerences vary depending on the overall emotional impact. People can analyse all they want, all that matters to me is does it give me "that feeling". Some music, like a lot of Squarepusher's manic stuff, feels superficial at first, but it appears to point to something beyond the "style" - sometimes maybe the style can be the substance? I guess it all comes down to taste at the end of the day.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”