Copying Kontakt Instrument Structure, possible without prob?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BEFORE:
Kontakt Libraries\Cinebrass Pro\01 TrumpetsSolo.nki
Kontakt Libraries\Cinebrass Core\02 TrumpetsEnsemble.nki

AFTER:
Kontakt Libraries MyOwn\Cinebrass Pro + Core\TrumpetsSolo.nki
Kontakt Libraries MyOwn\Cinebrass Pro + Core\TrumpetsEnsemble.nki

What I did:
1. Changed location (copy)
2. Changed the names

Question:
I did this to get better organisation and easier to access files since I am not using Quick-Load. As long as I keep the original files, I assume there will be no problem with auth of a library in the future. Can I do this? And, if I do it, how will I re-locate the files in the new directory, "batch-resave" or "save instrument as" (patch only?)?

Of course, I keep all the original files and it's structure for future Win re-installs.

Thanks.

Azarashi,
Didn't I answer this satisfactorily in another thread in Samples?

Maybe these articles by NI will help elimate your concerns. The first is about moving your library, the second about creating custom instruments.

Again, I don't think changing the file name is a good idea. You should create custom instuments.

As long as you keep the original installation files you can always go back and re-install. You may have to reauthorize (definitely if you reformat and re-install Windows).

Here are the articles:
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/su ... /show/500/
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/su ... show/1034/

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

As long as the relative paths to the samples are the same, then you are fine. You can rename the ensembles, it doesn't matter. If the ensembles can't find the samples because you've moved the nki's away from the samples or changed the samples folder names, then do a batch resave. You shouldn't need to to re-authorize anything.

It's wise to do batch resave when moving stuff anyways, helps loading times.

Azarashi,
Didn't I answer this satisfactorily in another thread in Samples?

Maybe these articles by NI will help elimate your concerns. The first is about moving your library, the second about creating custom instruments.

Again, I don't think changing the file name is a good idea. You should create custom instuments.

As long as you keep the original installation files you can always go back and re-install. You may have to reauthorize (definitely if you reformat and re-install Windows).

Here are the articles:

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Echoes in the Attic wrote:

okay so you guys tell me two different answers, Echoes in the Attic tells me that batch resave can be done but dsan tells me i should just do custom instruments.

And that is what I was wondering, if i should do batch or save each inst custom. Wondering because save each instrument will take around 5h for me, batch resave 1h.
dsan im not moving any files, just copying them =)

maybe i should just go back to use Quick-Load. I just like having the browser to the left... quick-load takes a lot of space vertically :/

Hi Azarashi,
This is what happens at a forum, you get opposing viewpoints. Which is a good thing cause it gets you thinking. Both answers have value. It is up to you to decide which is right for you.

I make my recommendation because it is easy to mess things up if you are not an experienced user. Echoes is a very experienced user, as am I. He is comfortable with changing things because he has done it and knows what he is doing. I tend to error on the side of caution and would rather leave things alone.

I do not like making file name changes because sometimes a program is looking for a specific file and when it cannot find it it hiccups and causes an error. I don't want to mess around with errors and just want to make music. Hence, I tend to leave things as they are and work within the parameters established by the developer.

Echoes method will work for you. If you feel comfortable then go with it if it gives you the work flow you want.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Another thing to add - If you are moving instruments away from where the scripts are kept, then you might have problems. Only merge libraries like this if the nkr files (scripts) are named differently so you can merge them together into the same folder in the same place relative to the instruments.

So you need to keep in mind that the scripts should be in the same relative location (like one folder up from instruments for example) and that samples are in the same relative location. You didn't mention how you were moving the sample content but I assume you were merging them the same way. Again, if you are changing the sample folder name then you will have to batch resave.

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Another thing to add - If you are moving instruments away from where the scripts are kept, then you might have problems. Only merge libraries like this if the nkr files (scripts) are named differently so you can merge them together into the same folder in the same place relative to the instruments.

So you need to keep in mind that the scripts should be in the same relative location (like one folder up from instruments for example) and that samples are in the same relative location. You didn't mention how you were moving the sample content but I assume you were merging them the same way. Again, if you are changing the sample folder name then you will have to batch resave.
not, just changing the instruments folder :) is there a way of instrument save as, with many instruments at the same time? Not samples

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”