Windows:IDE M.Production: SATA? Or the other way around

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all
As the title says. I have two hard drives 1 IDE with 150gb and 1 Sata (wich I know is faster) with 250 gb. I am going to reset my Desktop PC, and do a clean install and everything.

So... I put ALL my Music Producion and DJ (including music) in 1 hard drive, including the DAW too, And take the other one for Windows install and everyday use.

So as the SATA is faster, I was thinking in using it with the M. Production but I dont know if Windows will get slow because of the IDE. Also, even having everything in another hard drive, does the performance of my music applications depends or is affected by the windwos hard drive, lets say.. IDE

What you think?

thanks!

help?

Not only is IDE Dino technology compared with todays the capacity isn't worthwhile installing imho. You are better to use Sata, not sure there are many motherboards that support both anyway.
Really with the price of storage today I think you would be better to ditch both and invest in a 1tb sata at the very least as you are likely to run into data loss using drives that old.
SSD even better but maybe you aren't ready for that yet but your children will be!

I'd put Windows on the slower drive (and disable disk intensive features such as system restore). It'll take a bit longer to boot than if it was on the faster drive but that's the only difference you may really notice IMO.

Of course loading your daw involves reading of necessary dependency files present in the windows system folder if they aren't already loaded in memory but that should not add significantly high overhead, certainly no more than having the daw on the slower drive and windows on the fastest.

Basically it all goes down to whether you want windows to boot faster or have smoothest possible operation of your DAW once it has been loaded, eg, fastest loading of samples & whatever big stuff such as romplers, etc...

Be aware though that many program/plugins will install their data files within special folders (application data or my documents generally) which by default reside on the Windows disk. The location of those special folders can be changed so they may reside on other disks however.

Hopefully this will help you a bit.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”