Obxd synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

* Ctrl+click or doubleclick on knobs should bring default values - this is a massive oversight
Working on it :)
* Clicking on CLEAR button should be momentary, not a toggle (at least it seems to me that way)
Should work the same as midi learn button.

Dont worry it wont affect patches. :-D

vurt wrote:
fmr wrote:I don't see the point of 2Dat creating a Synthex emulation.

because he might want to?
because done well it would get him more job offers?
because not everyone is willing to deal with other companies that already have one?
because he sees it as a challenge?

theres 4 possible reasons he may choose to do such a thing, without even thinking.
Agreed :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

I soooo much want to have THIS (+ some replacement ICs maybe...) but could not afford it:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/OBERHEIM-MATRIX- ... 4d17f65b01

:cry:

Ingo
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

EvilDragon wrote:Playing a bit with this latest version, here are my thoughts:...
All very valid points and many have been mentioned and discussed. Hopefully 2Dat will address these in the next version. A word on the transpose: on the OBX and the Obxd it transposes the oscillator section only, not the filter tracking. There are pros and cons to this approach but the net result is that there should be a "meta" transpose that transposes the MIDI at the input because some patches end up sounding ok when the MIDI is transposed 2 octaves down and some need semitone adjustments to be in concert tuning. So if the architecture of the Obxd remains the same I'd suggest keeping the current osc xpose and adding a +/- 24 stepped transpose at the input.

But I think we need to have a discussion on some more subtle issues. I'm the process of finishing up my 128 patch bank and I've been noticing some things:

- When the filter envelope is assigned to mod osc2's pitch, even when the ENV var is at 0, there's considerable...
***Update: this was a wrong assessment. It was velocity assigned to the filter envelope that made the pitch vary... nothing wrong here... moving on...

- And in contrast, I also feel these voice variation controls could go a bit deeper. ;)

- When going for subtle control, there is cramping of values at the early position of the knobs which often ends up causing markedly stepped values and choices become "closest value possible". This goes back to the "logarithmic" discussion, but I think it's more about improving resolution in ranges where it's most needed, which isn't always strictly logarithmic behaviour. But I do find that in general, the action of all modulation controls are too cramped in their early stages.

- Sometimes I feel the velocity multiplier isn't doing enough and should be able to scale the envelopes up, maybe as much as 2X.

- I still feel that the noise is too low even after the increase that 2DaT gave it along the way. Some of the noise patches I've done are very low as a result. I'd give it another +6 dB.

- The question of transpose brings up the larger question of the Obxd as a live instrument. Right now, doing many things you'd do live requires some kind of performance shell to handle things like per patch MIDI transpose, per patch modulation assignments and scaling (modulation +/- and amt from the patch level), and an edit buffer that would allow interaction with patches without altering the original in the bank. Some of this can be managed externally with some trouble but it would be ideal to see this integrated,

- I already reported on the Spread control and how it picks 8 random values for each osc once on the instantiation of the synth instead of generating random values on an ongoing basis.

Again, most of this can't be done for the current version, but I suggest we keep this in mind if and when a new version is announced. Oh, BTW, I did find a bug which I reported regarding held chords being cut off when using the sustain pedal as typical with repeated chords...
Last edited by Breeze on Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Breeze wrote:- I still feel that the noise is too low even after the increase that 2DaT gave it along the way. Some of the noise patches I've done are very low as a result. I'd give it another +6 dB.
On volume matter: square osc is way too loud compared to saw osc.

And another one of my pet peeves: in VAM mode when holding a sustain pedal and playing a trill it eats voices when releasing back to previously held note. This is not a correct behaviour - it should retrigger back to the held note just as it behaves without sustain pedal.

Test: Hold a C note constantly and quickly tap D next to it, no sustain pedal pressed. It trills as it's supposed to. Now do the same with sustain pedal pressed. It doesn't retrigger back to C at all - this is wrong behaviour.

Ingonator wrote:I soooo much want to have THIS (+ some replacement ICs maybe...) but could not afford it:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/OBERHEIM-MATRIX- ... 4d17f65b01

:cry:

Ingo
And they are near me (kind of, Catalunya is on the east side of Spain). But the price is insanely high, although, when compared to the prices the Jupiter-8 reaches, it' may be considered "reasonable".
Fernando (FMR)

EvilDragon wrote:
Check the scope :) .
And another one of my pet peeves: in VAM mode when holding a sustain pedal and playing a trill it eats voices when releasing back to previously held note. This is not a correct behaviour - it should retrigger back to the held note just as it behaves without sustain pedal.
I thoungt sustain pedal should delay all note off messages like in piano. Am i wrong? :cry:

2DaT wrote:I thoungt sustain pedal should delay all note off messages like in piano. Am i wrong? :cry:
Please check PM... ;)

Ingonator wrote:UPDATED (02.02.2014):

KVR Community Patches Collection for OBXD (updates will follow):

Ingo
Ingo, in the folder that contains my patches I detect an error: the bank with all my patches isn't there, instead there's a single patch.
Doesn't matter much because they are all individually, and in the global banks.

I plan to improve my bank and even increase it when the final release is announced.

Thank you for your work :tu:

2DaT wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:
I don't need a scope - they're just comparatively too loud one to another. For example in Pro-53 the difference is not this huge.
2DaT wrote:
I thoungt sustain pedal should delay all note off messages like in piano. Am i wrong? :cry:
No, note off messages should not be delayed at all (piano is a specific case because it's not monophonic - I'm comparing this to several synths and workstations I have here (Kurzweil, Korg, Kawai, etc.) who don't behave like that in monophonic mode). It is EXTREMELY useful when doing a lot of legato solos - you can trill your way throughout it while holding the sustain pedal for perfect legato. In any case, this should be an easy fix and it's more of a benefit than a drawback, I'd say. Don't you think?

albertodream wrote:[
Ingo, in the folder that contains my patches I detect an error: the bank with all my patches isn't there, instead there's a single patch.
Doesn't matter much because they are all individually, and in the global banks.

I plan to improve my bank and even increase it when the final release is announced.

Thank you for your work :tu:
Just checked. The Folder called "Single pathches" contains all single patches. The community and category sorted bank contained the patches too. Just re-loaded the bank file to have everything complete again.

If you just plan to fix volumes and/or compatibility with the latest Version this is not necessary as i am alraedy working on that.
If you want to add other fixes or add new patches it would be fine.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

OK! I'm done: here's the latest version (rev3 and likely the last for a good while!) of my Obxd Meat-n-Potatoes bank:

Breeze_Meat-n-Potatoes_Obxd-Bank

Same link as before, now with 128 patches. :phew: Had fun with the patch names. Hope I didn't offend anyone. Enjoy! :-D

2DaT wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:On volume matter: square osc is way too loud compared to saw osc.
Actually I've been taking the volume levels on faith. But regardless, it seems to me there's more than enough space on the GUI to put 5 smaller knobs in the mixer and use two of them to crossfade between the two waves and establish new balances for each oscillator...

Breeze wrote:OK! I'm done: here's the latest version (rev3 and likely the last for a good while!) of my Obxd Meat-n-Potatoes bank:

Breeze_Meat-n-Potatoes_Obxd-Bank

Same link as before, now with 128 patches. :phew: Had fun with the patch names. Hope I didn't offend anyone. Enjoy! :-D
Hi,

many thanks, especially for the new patches. There are also some new Bells which is nice as in that catagory there were only few so far.

Hopefully i could publish the updated collection tomorrow. A lot has happened since the last update (around 140 new patches). Now we are beyond 500 patches (around 530).

Ingo
Ingo Weidner

My understanding of how a sustain pedal should work on a synth with lets say 3 note polyphony:

Hold the pedal and press C,D,E,F,G,A,B one after another with 1 finger, then release the pedal.

The synth sounds C, then C and D, then C and D and E, then it releases C for the F to be able to sound so it is D and E and F now, then D gets released for G, then E for A, then F for B so the last 3 notes are G and A and B, then the pedal gets released and G and A and B stop sounding.

The last time i checked OBXD it failed at what i marked in red.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Return to “Instruments”