General Music Question

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,
This is just a general query, not necessarily about dance music.

What are the main contituent parts of a track/song?
Ok: 1) Vocal (or sample, in dance)
2) Chord Sequence, played by guitar/keyboard etc.
3) Fills, possibly by a synth.
4) Sound textures, l
5) Drums
6) Bass
7)

what else?

tha nks,

You could have a piece of music where none of those 6 apply at all. I don't know that you're going to be able to find a list of instruments/sound elements that's definitive as music isn't about creating to templates.

When I see certain posts in this section, I sincerely doubt about the meaning the term music has to some people. I also doubt wether we are talking the same thing or not. In art (any art, being it carpentry, plumbing, cooking, music or literature) there are a minimum of skills and pre-requisites that are supposed to be acquired in the apprenticeship time by the artisans. I can't imagine a plumber asking is a forum wether he/she would use a pipe of copper, propylene or stainless steel in an installation.

That said, the constituents of a music (ANY MUSIC), are: Melody, rhythm, harmony, and, in a second dimension, timbre, orchestration and density.

Chords are harmony, and they are present anywhere, no matter if more or less explicit, as long as the music is tonal. There are. however, situations where the music has note aggrgates that cannot be classified as chords. Thera can be also situations where the music has no tonality at all, and we cannot speak of harmony anymore. Thera are also situations where we have chords but the tonality is ambiguous.

Rhythm is more or less the same case (you always have rhythm, no matter if the music has or not a rhythmic section, which is usually composed of drums and bass in pop music).

Fills are just a section of the music (better use the term bridges, since this term will include fills and may be used to refer to other stuff too). Anyway, all sections are important, and a piece of music, ideally, should have a good balance between the different sections (did you anytime felt tired with the endless solos, or too much chorus in a song?).

Sound textures are the domain of timbre, orchestration and density. A good orchestration (instrumentation) should again contribute to the balance of the piece. Wether the instrumentation/orchestration surpasses the domains of melody/harmony, it's up to the composer, and very much depends on the style of the music (in pop music, instrumentation tends to be rather simple).

The same may be said regarding the rhythm. There are music styles where the rhythm is more important, and others where it is less important.

In the end, a piece of music is a delicate balance between many factors, where it's up to the composer or composer/arranger, or composer/arranger/producer to make the final decisions and support them.
Last edited by fmr on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

You might want to look at John Cage's 4'33''.
See if you can find a recording on YouTube!

:lol: :lol:
Unfamiliar words can be looked up in my Glossary of musical terms.
Also check out my Introduction to Music Theory.

Ok, so I admit I am talking about a house track in this situation. My main issue is what does one fill the track with besides, a chordal progression, a vocal sample, a bass line, drums, percussion, instrumental fills or riffs, counter melody perhaps.
Templates can be useful, when learning craft, just like Music Theory. When one knows the rules, feel free to break them...

joe

joecc wrote:Ok, so I admit I am talking about a house track in this situation. My main issue is what does one fill the track with besides, a chordal progression, a vocal sample, a bass line, drums, percussion, instrumental fills or riffs, counter melody perhaps.
Templates can be useful, when learning craft, just like Music Theory. When one knows the rules, feel free to break them...

joe
First things first:
1. Do you already have a complete composition? Can you write it in a piano reduction?
2. Does the piece overall scheme feels balanced (e.g. are the different sections alternating and more or less with the same lenghth or multiples of that length?)?
3. How do you "hear" it in you head? Do you feel it does need all that you mention (vocal sample, a bass line, drums, percussion, instrumental fills or riffs, counter melody)? Take notice that not all songs need everything. Great songs were written with just a piano or guitar accompaniment.
Fernando (FMR)

I don't quite understand your first point? Can you write it in a piano reduction?

you mean write the whole piece in piano? melody line, chords underneath, fills, bass way down?

?

joecc wrote:Ok, so I admit I am talking about a house track in this situation. My main issue is what does one fill the track with besides, a chordal progression, a vocal sample, a bass line, drums, percussion, instrumental fills or riffs, counter melody perhaps.

joe
You don't need all of those in house. The more you lose, the more it sounds like techno but a chord progression is entirely optional as are vocals.

The only thing you absolutely need is groove. Everything else is window dressing.

JumpingJackFlash wrote:You might want to look at John Cage's 4'33''.
See if you can find a recording on YouTube!

:lol: :lol:
:hihi:

Return to “Music Theory”