Are there any chord apps that can do this...

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can any of these chord apps show on screen the chord you are actually playing?

IE If I attach my keyboard via midi and then play a chord are there any that will then show the chord on screen with bass inversions and all?

I am not looking for it in notation form necessarily...

Even better if it then lets you print/send the progression just played, but not needed.

Jeeez, you can't tell me no-one knows or understands the question surely???

After this many views, and not one clue. I can only surmise that people have no clue about what I am asking...probably think I am only asking if a keyboard can be used which is NOT the question

I have several OTHER apps that can tell which chords are being played, but they're mostly PIANO type apps, not really what I consider Chord Progression apps.
Piano Companion by Binitex (they have a 'lite' version) is one.

Try a search for "Reverse Chord Finder" in iTunes and see if any of them fit your requirements.

Hope this helps

Thanks huey - I had looked at Reverse Chord, but it did not seem to be able to do this. I have also looked at a few of the Piano apps and again none seem to have this capability. They can ALL suggest chords, create alternate chords even change voicings, but for this simple task I am after, I ahve found none.

It is only so when I am noodling at the piano and I happen to stumble across a nice progression I can then have some way of storing the chords, not as notation (I have PC apps that can do that) , but more like a series of chord names, like c7b9, dm7, f/a etc etc and how many times that chord is then played in progression.

Saves me having to stop playing to write the chord down on a chart...Maybe it's just me being lazy, but if I have to stop every 20 seconds to write a chord on a chart, I sorta lose the creative "flow" if you get what I mean. When one is "noodling" then all sorts of chord combos come up, alternate bass roots, inversions and the like. Sometimes I just plonk the hands on the keyboard and this great chord comes out, but then I need to analyse the notes and then figure what the chord is write it down in correct format, then continue....not very creative :D

I just happened to glance over iPiano Chords HD by Stefan Arnhold - maybe that's closer to what you're talking about. We each have our own ways of working and sometimes some apps are better at "flow" than others - I wish there was a way to try apps before having to purchase them.

Anyway, it's just one more thought - I don't own it (yet)

hueynym wrote:....- I wish there was a way to try apps before having to purchase them.

Anyway, it's just one more thought - I don't own it (yet)
Absolutely!

I know there are free apps, but for a paid app imo, they should all have a time limited FULL version...thanks for the link I will try it out.

Just checked it...looks like it will do what I need. Does way MORE than I need but for the task of recognising the chord...anyway I will buy it and give it a go.

Thanks

Nope - no good...I should have tried to research it further - it has NO midi input!!!! bit useless for an app of this type!

Oh well the hunt continues..

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you're trying to do, but here's what chordpolypad does which may be close.

You can play a chord on a midi keyboard and the chord gets assigned to a pad. If the chord is a standard chord (e.g. C,E,G) chordpolypad identifies and names it (e.g. CM for C Major). If chordpolypad can't recognize the chord it simply uses the notes as the chord name (e.g. F, C#, E). I haven't tested this chord recognition extensively so I don't know how good it is.

I think there are quite a few vids about this app like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU5KxGtFFa0

Hope this helps.

Thanks I will have a look at it...

hmmm, maybe. A bit expensive just to "try out" though...

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”