Elicenser queries and list?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks,

Is there a list of products that use Elicenser?

I registered for Wavelab8LE free and didnt realise it used it... :(
I havent installed it as I dont like that low level software 'rootkit' protection (like PACE), but I would be temped to buy a USB dongle to use it as they are pretty cheap.
Does the USB dongle also require wierd drivers or is it just plug+use?

I would like to know what other stuff uses it too. It'll not be worth it just for one freebie ;)

Presumably all Steinberg stuff does, but I wont be buying Cubase anytime soon..

any advice appreciated, thanks!

(EDIT)
List so far:
  • Steinberg (Cubase, Wavelab, Halion)
    Arturia (All)
    Waldorf (Largo, PPG)
    Xils Lab (Xils3, Polykb2, Synthix)
    reFX (Nexus)
    Vengeance (All)
    Vienna Syphonic Library (all)
    Yamaha (Vintage plugins)
    Axis Plugins (all)
Last edited by gamecat666 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Nexus, the Xils higher end synths. I'm curious about other things on the list as well.
Ableton/Propellerheads/Cockos Reaper/Logic/Renoise/U-He/Tone2/NI/DiscoDSP/Fabfilter/Xils Lab/Reveal Sound/112dB

gamecat666 wrote:Hi folks,

Is there a list of products that use Elicenser?
Arturia is one of them:
http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/sup ... enser.html

Vengeance Sound is another.
http://www.vengeance-sound.com/

You have to install the eL software and guess who owns Pace? ELicenser . Or it could be vice versa.
I know of Slate, Soundtoys, and McDSP (usually it's companies that run massive sales)
I had it with Nexus, but it wasn't a problem and the one from Nexus took my Arturia and my Waves License.

So having the dongle you have to install the same intrusive software? ugh, I'll probably pass then.
Aren't Slate+Soundtoys iLok?

-updated OP with current list, cheers!

Apologies Ilok is Pace.. I think EL is owned by Steinberg, so yes you're right. I find it exceedingly excessive to have two types of dongle protection.
I don't think the two are interchangeable....
I will say I never had problems with EL software (as long as you keep it updated) and except for that glitch they had a few months ago)

The big question here is what will happen a dongle that stops working and has 5 company licenses inside. I think Steinberg can replace their own licenses (since it owns the technology) but its still a gray zone for the other companies.

Do they have full access to the database? How are they informed that the dongle is broken indeed? It would be much better to have a centralized support for anyone like iLok rather than beg for your licenses from the 3rd party Companies. I should have opted for the Xils ilok licenses instead of elicencers but I was stupid.... Now half of my dongle has non Steinberg licences....

No they keep all the licenses on their servers as a back up. The one thing I remember was something about sending the broken dongle back and they would send you a new one (for more money of course)
I don't know how they manage you running your software while you're waiting for it.

I installed Wavelab 8 LE too and initially didn't have any issues with the eLicenser software. Although Windows 8 did give me a report that it was responsible for a bit hit to start up performance and I might want to consider disabling it...

All of the Virsyn plugins other than TERA and CUBE use eLicenser. The Korg plugins do as well.

ew
A spectral heretic...

Didn't KORG turn Serial after a while with the Legacy Series? Same with LinPlug (once Elicenser, now Serial).

Oh man, this is so much fuel for future flames, but...
gamecat666 wrote:I registered for Wavelab8LE free and didnt realise it used it... :(
It is Steinberg, it is even mentioned over in over with pretty much every music magazine LE is sold with.

gamecat666 wrote: I havent installed it as I dont like that low level software 'rootkit' protection (like PACE), but I would be temped to buy a USB dongle to use it as they are pretty cheap.
Does the USB dongle also require wierd drivers or is it just plug+use?
Elicenser, and that years before Pace/iLok adapted the same system, uses a "License Manager" software. The only main difference is (at least on my end), that you do not(!) need a user account. But it is recommended in case of failures of the USB key.

The drivers are absolute low-key (barely register on the CPU) and are only recalled if the host program is loaded. Same with iLok these days - only "faster" responding. Horror stories from 5-10 years ago, that this is a CPU hog is simply not true, though it is true that the Elicenser checks if the software is still running from time to ime.

You basically type in the serial you got from the Steinberg homepage (if it's like Cubase LE, then it's a call/response solution - you register at Steinberg, type down the serial from the mag, get a serial for the Elicenser to activate Cubase/Wavelab in return) into appropriate the Elicenser manager. The Elicenser then connects to a global database and checks if the serial is valid and then either moves it to the Elicenser USB key (if it's made for that) or the main HDD (the Software Elicenser). Certain licences can then be moved to the USB key, if they were on the HDD prior to that.

I can not say anything about "lost licenses" due to an USB key failure. Mine are working for years now (actually, I'm down to one), and the license manager does an in-depth check of your hardware (USB key especially) prior to software launch. Something that can be manually triggered with the iLok (the "Sync" feature). I never needed a "repair" service to far.

gamecat666 wrote:I would like to know what other stuff uses it too. It'll not be worth it just for one freebie ;)
LE software bei Steinberg is not(!!!) free - unless you got it "free" through greyzone means (meaning: you didn't buy a magazine and rather got it from a "free login", or got a CD as gift but not the hardware bundled as well). All AI/LE versions are sold for at least 15 EUR (mag-ware) or are bundled content (hardware)

I do have severe issues with that comment.

BTW:
Steinberg/Yamaha uses Elicenser. So all most recent Steinberg software, and Steinberg/Yamaha software (Halion, the Yamaha plugins, Rupert Neve Portico, etc) use the Elicenser system.

Elicenser belongs to Steinberg
Pace owns iLok

I'm not too sure on what Propellerheads is using these days. But I did remember they were speculating Elicenser as well.

Oh, another software company that is using Elicenser:
Axis Plugins (anually payment)
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

comes free with a magazine = freebie. chill out!

thanks for the extra, added to the list.

gamecat666 wrote:comes free with a magazine = freebie. chill out!
You pay for both the magazine and the software license. Steinberg NEVER gives away their host for free (unless it's a time limited demo). Even bundled with hardware, it's a paid license.

Steinberg, in all these years I'm using their software, never offered "upgrades" from free versions (hosts), at a discount even. AI/LE is not a time lmited demo either.

So no... I'm not "chilling out". Especially not by what that certain magazine in question recently pulled over and over.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Return to “Instruments”