released: SlickHDR - Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nokenoku wrote: But people are always acting like they got the holy grail, when Bootsie releases a new plugin, which is (especially in this case) totally ridiculous.
All I see here is most people enjoying a new, free plugin and finding good, musical uses for it. Oh, and a few people who don't get tired of posting "I don't like it and everyone who does is an idiot" in infinite variations. Big yawner. Go away and annoy your big sister or something.

There's quite a difference between stating a legitimate reason that you personally don't like the plugin (i.e. you feel that it's under-documented and you don't like having to try to guesswork your way around a plugin when you don't have to - that's a legitimate reason to say "no, thanks" to a free plugin), and 1. slamming it as "another Bootsie placebo" - factually incorrect, his plugins do measurable things to the audio, whether you prefer the sound totally notwithstanding, as well as 2. calling everyone who doesn't hate it fools by referencing "the emperor's new clothes," as though Bootsie is somehow KVR monarchy and those who do like his releases (and it's clearly not just about THIS release, since he said "another" placebo, dig it?) are just not admitting the REAL TRUTH that HE knows. I call bullshit on that, it's just open prejudice and flaming.

Bootsie has built up quite a bit of goodwill with the community over the years because of a pretty consistent output of quality plugins for those who can use SM-made stuff, and his willingness to fix bugs in the freeware he releases. Oh, also, that they're freeware, free as in beer, take it or leave it. Such a vitriolic reaction against both the plugin and the guy who makes it bespeaks a nastier underlying motive, imo. You don't like it because you don't think it's sufficiently explained and etc., that's fine; his issue isn't anything to do with liking the plugin or not, it's personal and weird.

ariston wrote:All I see here is most people enjoying a new, free plugin and finding good, musical uses for it. Oh, and a few people who don't get tired of posting "I don't like it and everyone who does is an idiot" in infinite variations. Big yawner. Go away and annoy your big sister or something.
Yep, that's annoying as hell. My god, I really don't get some people. A guy develops an original, professional sounding plugin and gives it away for free and you have to grouch about it? Tough crowd...

To me hypocrisy is annoying.

From most people I simply don't believe them, when they praise this plugin. I think they just do it because of Bootsies reputation and not because of the plugin.

Nokenoku wrote:To me hypocrisy is annoying.

From most people I simply don't believe them, when they praise this plugin. I think they just do it because of Bootsies reputation and not because of the plugin.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Nokenoku wrote:To me hypocrisy is annoying.

If your starting position is that people are lying to you or otherwise not discussing in good faith, you're not going to have very many productive conversations, on or off the net. Good luck with that, though.

Teksonik wrote:I always find it hilarious when Bootsie releases one of his Placebos that anyone who doesn't like them must be deaf or stupid or their monitors suck, they're on drugs or any number of other flaws relating to their DNA......... :lol:
Google: The Emperor's New Clothes........ :tu:
You can always check it with a simple null test. With SlickHDR the best I could do when all 3 meters barely light the first few leds was around -18dBFS. Now if you can not hear that difference even though you should be easily able to then it means SlickHDR is doing it's job, as intended, rather brilliantly.

Now lets take a more subtle bootsie plugin, something like TesslaPro mk2. With the default settings on a simple drum loop I got a whopping -24dB of difference. Now this one can be a bit harder to hear but perhaps you are starting to get my point?

Your "placebo" or "impossible to hear" is perhaps not so much the lies of others but perhaps your own perception/monitoring chain?

Now it's a completely different discussion of you like or dislike the effect but spewing bullshit about the plugins being placebo or impossible to hear just shows your own ignorance.

It's all starting to sound more like some weird case of jealousy here on these forums. What do you guys have against Bootsie? What did he do to offend you? You haters just hating for the kicks of it or just the general type of person who wants to see the world burn? :roll:

Nokenoku wrote:But people are always acting like they got the holy grail, when Bootsie releases a new plugin, which is (especially in this case) totally ridiculous.
Here at KVR? I don't have that impression. Maybe on his homepage where below every single announcement (for a new plugin) loads of people write: "Whoooaa! Another one! I cannot wait", "This will be the best ever!", "Bootsie rules!" etc.

While this might be a bit annoying, he surely deserves some praise. He's developing plugins for free, and he's made a lot of great plugins. You don't have do like everyone of them, neither do I, but most of them are quite good.

Now this one is a completely new approach, and it definitely gives the sound a nice coloring & dynamic. As long as you don't pull the "Trim" knob to the max, then your ears might explode. :lol:

I don't have the impression that it will completely change the way of mixing but it's an interesting experiment to combine some dynamic processors (I'm not sure if it's only made with 3 compressors with different settings.)

Nah, it shouldnt be jealousy... He's constantly winning the KVR challenges and so on, and people rave about his plugins. I think they are too sublte, personally, but i tend to try to use them. This one will probably be a favorite! More aggressive coloring. I like :)

I have found that this does interesting things to bassy, reverby, 2 track audience recordings of live concerts. It helps to make them clearer. It tames the bass and lessens the sensation of the reverb. I find that this will have use in cleaning up audience recordings. Thanks Bootsie.

Agreed wrote:If your starting position is that people are lying to you or otherwise not discussing in good faith, you're not going to have very many productive conversations, on or off the net. Good luck with that, though.
You might want to read all my posts in this thread. :roll:

I explained, why I think this plugin is bad.

And then read some of the answers I got ...
(Also in another forum, there were people being like: "No, this plugin is great. You don't need to know, how to use it. It's not a tool, it's a toy. But it's a great toy!")
:neutral:

To me this really does not make a very sincere impression.
I can't take stuff like that serious.

Nokenoku wrote:You might want to read all my posts in this thread. :roll:

I explained, why I think this music is bad.

(Also in another forum, there were people being like: "No, this music is great. You don't need to know, why to listen to it. It's not a tool, it's a toy. But it's a great masterpiece!")

Thats why i cant take Beethoven seriously, i get those types of responses on other forums.

(now someone can refer to my post as "being on some other forums" yoz!)

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

Nokenoku wrote:You might want to read all my posts in this thread. :roll:

(Also in another forum, there were people being like: "No, this plugin is great. You don't need to know, how to use it. It's not a tool, it's a toy. But it's a great toy!")

One can go very far in life without being a confrontational prick and calling a bunch of people liars for no other reason than your own contrary feelings. If you'd do the courtesy you're asking of me, you'll note that on this very page I already tried to be as charitable to your stance as possible, but then you went and ruined what I thought was a fair objection about the plugin being underdocumented and not wanting to have to guesswork your way around it and turned your commentary instead into a metadiscussion of your bizarre distrust of those who claim to like this plugin. I don't particularly, by the way, it's just not for me. But if you don't trust people to be discussing things in good faith, how shall you know that I'm not lying?

If I approached you with the same attitude that you approach others here, I would assume you're misrepresenting yourself and in fact probably love this plugin. Because, after all, can't trust what you're SAYING to be true, have to invert the truth table to find the real facts. You see how this completely breaks down any attempt at discussion?

bmanic wrote:
Teksonik wrote:I always find it hilarious when Bootsie releases one of his Placebos that anyone who doesn't like them must be deaf or stupid or their monitors suck, they're on drugs or any number of other flaws relating to their DNA......... :lol:
Google: The Emperor's New Clothes........ :tu:

Your "placebo" or "impossible to hear" is perhaps not so much the lies of others but perhaps your own perception/monitoring chain?
Ears.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

Nokenoku wrote:
Agreed wrote:If your starting position is that people are lying to you or otherwise not discussing in good faith, you're not going to have very many productive conversations, on or off the net. Good luck with that, though.
You might want to read all my posts in this thread. :roll:

Eh, so basically what you are saying?: "I explained why I think this plugin is bad yet other people disagree with me. I've decided that they are all wrong so they must all be lying."

:?:

Return to “Effects”